Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goodison Park

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
A lovely old fashioned ground, full of history and memories.
Sometimes a shiny new stadium isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, ask any West Ham fan where they would rather be.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The lower (Bullens Rd Stand) tier was originally terracing. Until the advent of cantilever stands in the 1960s every ground would have had posts obscuring views. Archibald Leitch's designs were considered state-of-the-art.

It wasn’t so much the posts as the height of the roof. It just needed to be five feet higher.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Indeed, but then it is a proper, old school, traditional football ground. You know, one with atmosphere and no tourists or JCLs, as it should be. At least that is the viewpoint of some that post on here. :drink:

Atmosphere??! You clearly weren't there yesterday.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A lovely old fashioned ground, full of history and memories.
Sometimes a shiny new stadium isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, ask any West Ham fan where they would rather be.
Upton Park has a lot of history so I can understand their angst, same with Goodison.

The redevelopment of Selhurst won’t be too much of an issue for your lot though.

:lolol:

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
It was good to have time to walk through the park and around the stadium when we arrived and the local pub was very welcoming. Slightly strange that they could only sell wine in either a small bottle or 75cl bottle which apparently equates to a large glass. But at only nine pounds for that and a pint of Guinness it would have seemed rude to decline. But I'd never go back as we could only see so little of the game. At the end of the day it is the game we go to watch and it is far too expensive these days to go all that way for such poor facilities.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
We went to a pub called 'The Arkles' next to Anfield (any relation to a horse?). There was a tv screen on every flat surface so it was a bit awkward as Man U went 2-0 up. Goodison was a shithole, the game was a shithole, I couldn't see what Knockers did as it was out of sight but abusing Rooney - " Fat Granny sha**er, you're just a fat Granny sha**e"r felt good, especially after his penalty. All in all, a poor day out...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
All this is why Everton want to move the Bramley Dock (except they have to rely on a vast council subsidy to afford it as they don't have enough money. Lack of cash is also why Liverpool are redeveloping Anfield bit by bit instead of moving and building a new replacement.

We gave them both a twenty year start and they still haven't even begun yet.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Inside the ground, an embarrassment.
Had a pillar completely blocking view of far goal. Had no idea what was happening with crosses, shots or the numerous corners that Everton got. Worst viewing for years.
Narrow, cramped, uncomfortable wooden seating. Small, overcrowded concourse. Appallingly small toilets. Two had no cubicles at all. Facilities that shame the PL.
Outside the ground, much better.
A feeling of history, stature and pedigree. Proper respect to those over the years that have made Everton a great club. Proximity of housing creates that old-style feel. Rounded fans, happy to see us in the PL and pleased for us. Makes a pleasant change.

On a footnote, there are many who will have you believe that Everton and Liverpool fans get on really well and are generous to each other. Don't you believe it. The Evertonians hate them with a passion. They resent the early days and their true home being stolen from under their noses. They blame Liverpool for the European ban that undoubtedly cost them more glory. They resent being relegated to the part of bit-players in a football mad city and the sense of elitism that Liverpool have assumed.
You should have seen the unbounded joy that greeted each Rashford goal at Old Trafford. Before we kicked off, they were beside themselves with Liverpool's defeat. After we gifted them 3 points, they were describing it as a near-perfect day.

As a footnote,
That’s why they are called “Bitters”.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
We lost and played dreadfully, so it follows that Goodison can best be described as a decrepit, Victorian stadium with with wooden seats that aggrevate your piles and has terrible views obstructed by pillars and black mesh netting.

Had we won, it would have been a magnificent victory in the theatre of dreams, a stadium that Is unique amongst the modern stadia of the premier league and should be preserved for eternity.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Back of the lower tier, up the pitch a tad was decent enough, a bit like B'muff. Concourse and bogs were tiny, not too bad overall for a traditional old ground.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As a footnote,
That’s why they are called “Bitters”.

Nowhere near as many half & half scarf-wearing tourists as Anfield though, I couldn't help but observe.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nowhere near as many half & half scarf-wearing tourists as Anfield though, I couldn't help but observe.

There were probably more than you think, what with both teams scarfs being blue.

EVER on one half and TON on the other. :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For what it's worth, whilst the view at Goodison is crap, the seats cramped and uncomfortable, and the concourses horrendously badly designed, I didn't dislike it.

It had a certain atmospheric quality about it (I'm not saying their fans made much of a racket, but there was still something about the old place). The toilets (as far as the Ladies' were concerned anyway) might have been small but they were bright, refurbished to a perfectly adequate modern standard, and immaculately clean, which immediately puts Goodison several thousand light years above the festering subterranean pits that our friends at Castle Greyskull call toilets.

Whoever said it was worse than Selhurst: are you insane?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
For what it's worth, whilst the view at Goodison is crap, the seats cramped and uncomfortable, and the concourses horrendously badly designed, I didn't dislike it.

It had a certain atmospheric quality about it (I'm not saying their fans made much of a racket, but there was still something about the old place). The toilets (as far as the Ladies' were concerned anyway) might have been small but they were bright, refurbished to a perfectly adequate modern standard, and immaculately clean, which immediately puts Goodison several thousand light years above the festering subterranean pits that our friends at Castle Greyskull call toilets.

Whoever said it was worse than Selhurst: are you insane?
It could be me you are quoting about Selhurst being better-and it is if you go to watch football. Selhurst is a shithole, with roof supports and dreadful facilities but you can actually see most of the game. That lower tier at Goodison is worse than any ground anywhere in England. It is not atmospheric-it is a dump. It should be free to go in there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I loved it. Proper old ground rooted in its community. **** modern football.

image.jpeg

:facepalm: This is modern football for you, charging away fans 30 notes for this.

As much as I loved standing on the terraces at The Goldstone, after seeing the photos from the away stand at Everton, give me the Amex any day.

Last edited:

Jan 22, 2017
Always loved Woodison, same with Anfield for that matter.

Beats going to the likes of Reading, Derby, Leicester, Boro etc etc etc where the grounds are the same flat pack shite but with different coloured seats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here