Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luxury watch enthusiasts....

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
LM-Perpetual-Front-PT_preview.jpg

One of the most beautiful watches I have ever seen (in my personal view.) Limited to 25 pieces. £40,000. Simply stunning, a work of art and engineering.

More realistically, I have my heart set on this Breitling Super Avenger II

a1337111-c871-168a.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As mentioned before, I find this thread quite fascinating. What’s the reason people you buy these watches? You can obviously buy cheaper ones. No agenda, I’m genuinely interested. I don’t wear a watch myself.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
As mentioned before, I find this thread quite fascinating. What’s the reason people you buy these watches? You can obviously buy cheaper ones. No agenda, I’m genuinely interested. I don’t wear a watch myself.

For me it is the detail, precision craftsmanship, the engineering, the 'build' planning of the expert, and the desirability of those 'assets' in the piece. It also has to look elegant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For me it is the detail, precision craftsmanship, the engineering, the 'build' planning of the expert, and the desirability of those 'assets' in the piece. It also has to look elegant.

I get that. Thanks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

As a man who will happily spend £3 on a 330ml can of (craft) beer, and hundreds on a good leather man bag, when perfectly serviceable bags are available for a tenner, you shouldn't really find this stuff hard to understand.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Had many of the years can be quite addictive especially if you join a watch forum. Something nice about having something mechanical on the wrist.
I was becoming quite obsessive about them so sold most of the valuable ones a few years back. Unless you know the models to buy they are not as great an investment as people make out. Servicing costs on the major brands are sky high, something many don't factor in. Buying new apart from Patek Philippe and Rolex ( and then only the right models) will see you out of pocket for a long while. Only reason many have made money in recent years is because of huge rise in RRP. Rolex are actually same cost as many Brietling, which are massively overpriced. Omega make some nice watches but again recent price hikes means you would have to have one for many years to see any value.
The ones I have now are 50's and 60's vintage, nice to have something old and working. I also have some old clocks. A hobby and something from the past.
I have one new watch, a Tudor, sometimes derided by those who don't know much about watches, which is probably the best value watch on the market today, sister brand of Rolex and in house movements.
It's something you either get or don't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have one new watch, a Tudor, sometimes derided by those who don't know much about watches, which is probably the best value watch on the market today, sister brand of Rolex and in house movements.

You might want to check that.

Tudor buy their movements from ETA - part of the Swatch group. Basically they use Omega movements.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Had many of the years can be quite addictive especially if you join a watch forum. Something nice about having something mechanical on the wrist.
I was becoming quite obsessive about them so sold most of the valuable ones a few years back. Unless you know the models to buy they are not as great an investment as people make out. Servicing costs on the major brands are sky high, something many don't factor in. Buying new apart from Patek Philippe and Rolex ( and then only the right models) will see you out of pocket for a long while. Only reason many have made money in recent years is because of huge rise in RRP. Rolex are actually same cost as many Brietling, which are massively overpriced. Omega make some nice watches but again recent price hikes means you would have to have one for many years to see any value.
The ones I have now are 50's and 60's vintage, nice to have something old and working. I also have some old clocks. A hobby and something from the past.
It's something you either get or don't.

Do you know whether they are they proper in-house movements built from base up i.e. not tuned-up ETA movements?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Tudor buy their movements from ETA - part of the Swatch group. Basically they use Omega movements.

Is there a list of what manufacturers and their models have proper in-house movements? I know that my Brietling has a base ETA movement that's been in-housed. I'd like to get a fully in-house movement when I buy again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is there a list of what manufacturers and their models have proper in-house movements? I know that my Brietling has a base ETA movement that's been in-housed. I'd like to get a fully in-house movement when I buy again.

Why? What does it matter - the high spec ETA are as good as there is anyway.

The industry is massively interconnected. Hundreds of brands rely on ETA (a Swatchgroup company) for at least the base of their movements. Even higher end brands (IWC, Patek, Vacheron Constantin) get theirs from Lemania or Frederic Piguet (both ALSO Swatchgroup companies...)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As mentioned before, I find this thread quite fascinating. What’s the reason people you buy these watches? You can obviously buy cheaper ones.
What's the reason people buy nice - no, any clothes - they've obviously already got enough clothes to keep them warm etc. What's the reason people buy anything?

A nice watch can be a piece of jewelry, and can be a nice thing, that's all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nothing wrong with Tudor, but I don't agree with you about value. Better value than some of the competition, but they're still not cheap, and they don't appreciate, so I can't see how they're best value.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Day to day it's a plastic Fitbit for me, although I have treated myself to a nice little Tag Heuer for smarter days / nights out. I'm just too clumsy to have anything expensive on my wrist going about my usual business, so it's mostly boxed up looking at me, wondering when we are next going out.

As the years have passed, I've become ever more unable to walk past the watches in fancy jewellers windows. We live near Bluewater, so close that it's effectively our local shops beyond basic supermarkets, so we are forever there and it takes me ages to get round as they have fancy jewellers and watch shops everywhere. They also have a little watchfinder store as well, which is always interesting to go in and just chat to the guys about watches. I can feel it is a growing obsession.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Historically yes, but they do now make inhouse movements on their more recent high end watches. Don’t have time at the moment to search and post a link though.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just look at your phone ffs

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nothing wrong with Tudor, but I don't agree with you about value. Better value than some of the competition, but they're still not cheap, and they don't appreciate, so I can't see how they're best value.

You do know that all Rolex watches don’t increase in value ? Nobody has said Tudor watches increase in value, just that they were better value than some of the more renowned brands.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As a man who will happily spend £3 on a 330ml can of (craft) beer, and hundreds on a good leather man bag, when perfectly serviceable bags are available for a tenner, you shouldn't really find this stuff hard to understand.

What's the reason people buy nice - no, any clothes - they've obviously already got enough clothes to keep them warm etc. What's the reason people buy anything?

A nice watch can be a piece of jewelry, and can be a nice thing, that's all.

Fair points. But there seems a lot more to watches and we can talk thousands and thousands of pounds which can mean sacrificing something else in life which is significant. A can of beer or a man bag is a much lesser level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here