Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] If Arundel has a cathedral why isn't it a city?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Actually, there is an explanation for this.

Chicken Pox can actually make some humans shit out eggs. The eggs have been known to hatch into chicks, hence where the name Chicken Pox came from.

I didn't do enough research!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Reminds me of the old quiz question, Brechin City. Not a city at all.

Strange though about Catholic cathedrals. I thought all cathedrals were Catholic. After all the word has the same root, beginning CATH. Looks like I’m mistaken though.

Liverpool has two cathedrals, a Catholic one and an Anglican one.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Reminds me of the old quiz question, Brechin City. Not a city at all.

Strange though about Catholic cathedrals. I thought all cathedrals were Catholic. After all the word has the same root, beginning CATH. Looks like I’m mistaken though.

Most of them (those that were around before Henry III's time) would have been catholic at one time.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Liverpool has two cathedrals, a Catholic one and an Anglican one.

I always thought it had four cathedrals, the two you mentioned plus Anfield and Goodison Park.

Seriously though don't forget that some towns etc. have Greek and Russian Orthodox Cathedrals.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ha! You can learn something every day on NSC - I always thought Guildford was a city! Oh well, I know now..........

Probably because they (rather incorrectly) call their football club Guildford City, making it a tad confusing to the unknowers.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The words don't have the same root. As Blackadder points out, Cathedral comes from Latin for chair, while catholic comes from a Greek word, katholikos, meaning universal

Which is why Roman Catholic has a capital letter, the universal church of Rome, and catholic with a small c refers to anything universal.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Guildford has a Cathedral and isn’t a city?

I can only surmise that it's because it's a modern cathedral (built in 1950s - and as featured in the Omen, trivia fans). Guildford is certainly big enough to be a (small) city. Any other reasons anyone can think of? It's an Anglican cathedral, not Catholic.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
And where does your lap go when you stand up?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Because its a catholic caatherdral not cofe and a city is a city because it is granted a chater as a city by the monarch.

You dont need to have a cathedral to be a city

The cathedral element was no longer needed after the 1880s.

The definition of a city in the UK is a place which has been granted city status by the monarch. There are 66 cities in the UK - 50 in England, five in Wales, six in Scotland and five in Northern Ireland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13841482

el punal

It goes back to Tudor times. Henry VIII broke away from Rome, & dissolved a lot of monasteries. His daughter Mary, brought back Roman Catholicism & persecuted Protestants.
Then Edward & his half sister Elizabeth changed it back to Protestant again.
The Duke of Norfolk is a Howard as was Ann Boleyn (Elizabeth's Mother) so that family was saved from the Catholic purge.
The Dukes of Norfolk remains the Premier Duke (apart from the Royal Dukes) to this day.
It is part of his duty to arrange Royal ceremonials such as Coronations, and Royal funerals.

Sorry to be pedantic but Edward VI, as Henry VIII's male heir, reigned before Mary despite her being older. He was obsessively Protestant as Mary was obsessively Catholic.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Sorry to be pedantic but Edward VI, as Henry VIII's male heir, reigned before Mary despite her being older. He was obsessively Protestant as Mary was obsessively Catholic.

Yes, you're right he did reign for a very short time before Mary.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here