Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mosquito Repellent/Bands

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
If you are susceptible to being bitten, do as wife does use both bands & a good quality spray [Jungle Formula]. Also be sensible and wear long sleeve shirts, hiking trousers & not shorts & wear a hat.

As an amusing aside, whilst birding with a group in Peru a few years back one of our party heard that Marmite was good for keeping mossies at bay [vit B thing]. It didn't work so in desperation he ended up spreading it over his face, legs & arms. It worked then!

birding....?? birding...?? :wozza:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Used Tesco and Morrison's 50% deet insect repellent products for Cuba, Thailand and Turkey with no bites, whilst others were getting bitten frequently. Make sure it is 50% otherwise it will be innefective.

Seconding the recommendation of DEET. We live on the edge of boreal forest -- mosquito paradise -- like Sweden, and it's the one thing that does the trick. There's evidence that there's no real improvement when you get over 35% DEET or so. Read the label for percentage of the active ingredient, then buy on price.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
birding....?? birding...?? :wozza:

Stolen from Wiki.......Birder. The acceptable term used to describe the person who seriously pursues the hobby of birding. May be professional or amateur.

Birding. A hobby in which individuals enjoy the challenge of bird study, listing, or other general activities involving bird life.

Bird-watcher. A rather ambiguous term used to describe the person who watches birds for any reason at all, and should not be used to refer to the serious birder.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I've used the bands and have never been bitten. Use one pair for about a week. Can't give you a recommendation on manufacturer but you can get them in luggage shops or airport shops normally. Also use spray on large exposed areas - jungle formula or one called something like "rapide". Good luck

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Jungle formula doesn't work on me. I've checked the Superdrug Buzz Off ingredients & it's 27.5% DEET.

I bought a repellant band on the way to Portugal 3 years ago, & it didn't help at all, so bought a repellant spray out there.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Lifesystems 100+ is the repellent to go for. Goes on easy, stays on all day, doesn't smell too bad and 95% DEET. Didn't get a single bite after it was recommended to me for a trip to Asia. Likewise, in Brazil, while lots of people are being eaten alive I've had one bite in three weeks. You can usually get it in Superdrug.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Some sound recommendations here: I normally start with Avon So Soft and then use Lifesystems 100+ if needed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Slayer are a band which repel most things. Try them?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Just got back from Sardinia and 27 bites which I am allergic too, they love me.... A week away and we go out the World Cup I get attacked by mozzies and get fecked over by car hire people.... Still could be worse I could live in Croydon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When I get bitten, it is as large as a saucer. Five years ago, in France, I had to go to the doctors as my leg had got infected from a bite on my ankle, where the infection was spreading up to my knee. It's a nasty condition called cellulitis which must be treated immediately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here