Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Joe Hart

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No matter what I declare publicly, inside I am always really excited about Is playing in the WC and Euros. I don't know why I do it to myself, but in a way it's not that unlike being a Brighton fan, excepting the last few seasons. But this time we really are screwed aren't we. In previous years I've always had a bit of misplaced hope, but looking at it now I give us less than zero chance.

I can pretty much guarantee Southgate will be picking players based on their name and then using the time-honoured tradition of 'hope' to get them to suddenly find their form and play as a unit.

Thoughts and prayers please chaps, thoughts and prayers.

We're lucky in that we have a very soft draw. He should sail through our group and will have an easy second round tie: we could pick a pub goalie for those games (we'll lose to Belgium but would do that anyway).

Once we get to the final eight and the big boys, we could pick the ******* child of Lev Yashin and Gordon Banks and still struggle but that doesn't really matter - our ambition will be to reach the last eight and we'll do that with ease.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Oh for the days of leading keepers like shilton, clemence, Corrigan all keeping Parks and Cooper out of the squad

I always preferred clemence when he and shilton were rotated but greenwood eventually went fir shilton

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
That is very different from a proper World Cup though, I'm sure you'll agree.

No doubt, but it is still experiance. Rooney had no experiance in 2004 and many other players haven't in the past, I wouldnt rule him out and he is certainly better than Hart.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yes, I know we are not interested in England and all that but is there a case to allow Joe Hart to play in the Championship for the rest of the season to give him match fitness?
He is, after all, our number 1 (or at least in the squad).

There is a bigger case for him not to go to the World cup

Pickford/Butland/Pope

As for not playing, Hart had played in a major finals, before the last Euros and was utter shit - that should have been enough to end his England career

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Surely there is no chance whatsoever that Southgate will pick him as the number one this summer? He'll have just spent six months sitting on the bench.

Hasn't been a problem in the past. Wasn't it Wilshere who played something like 60 minutes of football across an entire season and he still got put into the squad for the last WC ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hart is/was a top keeper that has fallen out of form for some reason. that needs to be addressed, and knocking around in the Championship is hardly likely to do so. If he cant fight for and win the shirt at a small club like West Ham he'll have to sit out this tournament until he regains form/confidence.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He isn't even West Ham's number 1 FFS.

That is the view of the manager in charge of West Ham but the manager of England still maintains that he is the first choice for England different opinions and down to the manager picking the relevant team.. IMHO it was a mistake by Moyes to drop him from West Ham but that is just my opinion .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
there were people calling for Stockdale to be called up last year...anyone know how's he's doing right now?

If the daft bugger had stuck with the Albion, he'd have been playing PL football week in, week out, and would have been highly likely to make the cut for Russia. Oh well :shrug:

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I think he's far from the best English keeper we have, but experience counts for a lot in a world cup. I'd pick Butland if it were me as he's at least been to a big tournament as part of the squad before.Sorry state of affairs though on the keeper front at the moment!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What about Pope? He's had a pretty good season

Pope would be my call, but Southgate is your typical dogmatic Engerlund gimp so he'll pick Pickford because he plays for Everton (the biggest club with a first choice English keeper). The fact that Pickford has been gash all season (including at Burnley last weekend) and is not even universally rated by Evertonians is neither here nor there.

I'm just thankful that Ryan isn't English, because we'd all be spitting feathers as Southgate overlooks him time and time again, just as he will do with Lewis Dunk until a big club want him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If the daft bugger had stuck with the Albion, he'd have been playing PL football week in, week out, and would have been highly likely to make the cut for Russia. Oh well :shrug:

Having seen his mistakes for Brum we should be glad he isnt playing for us. If the rumour of being offered a low wage is correct obviously the club didnt rate him very highly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Having seen his mistakes for Brum we should be glad he isnt playing for us. If the rumour of being offered a low wage is correct obviously the club didnt rate him very highly.

Stockdale did pretty marvellously for us on the whole. Dare say it WAS all about the wages in the end, but 'onest 'arry is always going to offer you big wages to move on. Especially as it's not him that's paying them. Tho he'll no doubt get his cut on the deal. Same as it ever was.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale did pretty marvellously for us on the whole. Dare say it WAS all about the wages in the end, but 'onest 'arry is always going to offer you big wages to move on. Especially as it's not him that's paying them. Tho he'll no doubt get his cut on the deal. Same as it ever was.

I wouldnt argue with his significant contribution towards our promotion but he has been responsible for a number of errors playing for Brum., for whatever reason.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
The GK situation is pretty grim reading.

Pickford has never been to a tournament, and personally not good enough yet.
Butland maybe but again has errors in him and a lot of injury problems in the past.
Foster? Most experienced out of them but in a relegated side.
Carson?

Then a bunch of keepers with not a lot of appearances

Hart's got a lot of experience - doesn't mean he's any good though. Remember the Euros?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I think Matt Ryan is in contention now.

Withdean

Nov 5, 2017
Hart and Cech are long past their best. Arsenal would do well to grab Butland to replace him this summer. He won’t want to play in the Championship

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought Joe Hart played well for West Ham against the Albion saving two one on ones against Glenn Murray and getting a hand on the Izzy goal.

Foster for WBA was poor and inferior to Pickford.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here