Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will T-Bloom now make changes to the Amex for next season?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
5. Bin all the loud PA music on the build up to the kick off and allow the fans to create a proper atmosphere themselves.

The boro atmosphere may have been a one-off, but we need to aim for that. We need some proper long-lasting songs not just Albiiiooooon which fades after 15 seconds. The Amex has its moments but to much of the time the North has some weird inner-stand battle going on with each side which is embarrassing. We really do need to up our game and it starts on Monday.

Boro's build up included a lot of pre-match music to hype the atmosphere, (I think Strings for Yasmin by Tin Tin Out was played a couple of times (used to be used by Sky for the football) + a lot of other similar era music too) - They used music to get the crowd going so why would you want to get rid of the music?

The biggest thing we have against creating an atmosphere is the high number of ST holders since the start of the Amex, it means that fans who want to sing can't move to the same area because of this.

Besides, with the existing atmosphere we have at our games, we still managed to equal Boro's points total and only lost out by a couple of goals over the course of the season. are you really trying to say the difference was the home atmosphere?
Home records of both teams:
Middlesbrough = W 16, D 5, L 2, GD +26
Brighton = W 15, D 5, L 3, GD +22

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
I've been at the Riverside when the traffic outside on a very distant road is louder than the Boro support.

Simply, we have to step up on Monday evening, and it will help if the team plays well. It would be nice to suggest that a sell-out crowd will lift the team with its fantastic support, but a lifetime of supporting the Albion makes me think otherwise.

It's a sad fact that the larger the crowd at the Albion - and this was true at the Goldstone too - the more people in it are just waiting to bring out the 'same old rubbish' moans. We had fantastic, noisy crowds when we were smashing our way through the third and second divisions under Alan Mullery and then when we got to the top flight and it wasn't quite so easy, the moans started and the crowds started to fall.

Give people a bandwagon like the 1983 FA Cup run to jump on and everything will be great, but the league attendances that season were terrible. Loads of people complained that they couldn't get tickets for the final even though they were lifelong fans, but only around 14,000 of those 'lifelong fans' could be bothered to attend the league match against Stoke when Cup Final ticket vouchers were given away - the match after our win at Anfield.

You'd think the opportunity for promotion to the Premier League would get everyone going, and I hope I'm proved wrong on Saturday, but I think it's the crowd not the stadium.

Completely agree. Considering what was at stake against Derby, and how the match was going, it was so disappointing to see the lack of passion both vocally & physically in WSU. There are a few groups & individuals who try to get the songs going, stand at appropriate times (to applaud great play or berate the opposition or ref).......but.....

We are definitely in the minority. Sometimes I wonder whether it's too much bother to stand up to celebrate our goals! The number of times I've stood up to sing or roar our team on when it's obvious they're under the cosh but I look round to see all these faces staring as if I've stood up & burst into song in the middle of a restaurant!

Christ! Do they ACTUALLY want their team to win? Do they realise how rare these opportunities to get automatic promotion to the top division actually are? Don't they know how much their support can influence the game if they actually bothered to get passionate about it?

The club can't force people to sing, shout, boo, cheer, berate. But they can help those who want to do so without suffering the chagrin of those who are obviously above such public displays of passion for their club & football!

Make the Amex a hostile place for away teams to play. Move the away fans away from the goal. Have a meeting with those who DO want to make an atmosphere. Discuss location, drums, flags, air horns etc etc & help them to establish something worthwhile. Stop the pre-match music & get into the habit of getting to their seats earlier to get the songs going.

Seeing how my lad & his mates have got the bug (home & away), I am optimistic that we will eventually see new generations who could shift the balance to a more passionate crowd BUT this will ONLY happen if the club creates the right conditions for it & stops the "Sit On Your Hands" brigade from persisting the atmosphere of disapproval that currently dominates the Amex.

An Under 21 section, with attractive pricing, is a great idea to help them develop their own Albion fan identity...perhaps as Ultras.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Completely agree. Considering what was at stake against Derby, and how the match was going, it was so disappointing to see the lack of passion both vocally & physically in WSU. There are a few groups & individuals who try to get the songs going, stand at appropriate times (to applaud great play or berate the opposition or ref).......but.....

We are definitely in the minority. Sometimes I wonder whether it's too much bother to stand up to celebrate our goals! The number of times I've stood up to sing or roar our team on when it's obvious they're under the cosh but I look round to see all these faces staring as if I've stood up & burst into song in the middle of a restaurant!

Christ! Do they ACTUALLY want their team to win? Do they realise how rare these opportunities to get automatic promotion to the top division actually are? Don't they know how much their support can influence the game if they actually bothered to get passionate about it?

The club can't force people to sing, shout, boo, cheer, berate. But they can help those who want to do so without suffering the chagrin of those who are obviously above such public displays of passion for their club & football!

Make the Amex a hostile place for away teams to play. Move the away fans away from the goal. Have a meeting with those who DO want to make an atmosphere. Discuss location, drums, flags, air horns etc etc & help them to establish something worthwhile. Stop the pre-match music & get into the habit of getting to their seats earlier to get the songs going.

Seeing how my lad & his mates have got the bug (home & away), I am optimistic that we will eventually see new generations who could shift the balance to a more passionate crowd BUT this will ONLY happen if the club creates the right conditions for it & stops the "Sit On Your Hands" brigade from persisting the atmosphere of disapproval that currently dominates the Amex.

An Under 21 section, with attractive pricing, is a great idea to help them develop their own Albion fan identity...perhaps as Ultras.

What's stopping people? - nothing, so what if people are looking towards you if your singing, why does this put you or anyone else off, why care what they think? Just sing if you want to and don't look for excuses, but equally don't expect everyone to join in because it's not in some peoples nature (too self conscious)

Or maybe they are looking at you because they are desperately trying to figure out what is being sung (far too quickly) so they can join in?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Why are the songs sung so quickly, it's always rushed and difficult to keep up with and the next song is sometimes started before you realise what the first one was so it's unsurprising if no one has joined in

We need to sing much slower and far more clearly imo so that others (opposition, etc) can figure out what is being sung
Good old Sussex by the sea or Goo-ol-Ssex-b-t-c, then they've usually reached the 3rd line by the time some are only finishing the 1st line, is it any wonder people don't join in?

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
What's stopping people? - nothing, so what if people are looking towards you if your singing, why does this put you or anyone else off, why care what they think? Just sing if you want to and don't look for excuses, but equally don't expect everyone to join in because it's not in some peoples nature (too self conscious)

Or maybe they are looking at you because they are desperately trying to figure out what is being sung (far too quickly) so they can join in?

Trust me, as an old Goldstone North Stander, I'm not self conscious. I don't give a monkeys.

But my lad & his mates feel intimidated by all of these adults who look disapprovingly when they want to replicate their Away Day antics. My worry is that they will be cowed by the literally silent majority. I'm hoping they will carry through their plan to move to the North Stand with mates from the Family Stand when they're 16. They see that as the solution to feeling free to properly get behind our team. An U21 section would be fantastic as I doubt they'll all get seats together in the North.

I also bloody hate songs being sung at 100mph & wish people could slow it all down.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Wonder if [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] will hear anything from PB and or TB with regards to potential plans to boost the noise at the amex next year? Few great suggestions above

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Let's be honest, we're a fairly middle class club, and the fanbase has grown so much in a short time that not all 26k are going to be die hard. With the best will in the world, our demographics isn't going to lend itself to comparing in vociferousness with an old fashioned working class club like Boro.

This.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Trust me, as an old Goldstone North Stander, I'm not self conscious. I don't give a monkeys.

But my lad & his mates feel intimidated by all of these adults who look disapprovingly when they want to replicate their Away Day antics. My worry is that they will be cowed by the literally silent majority. I'm hoping they will carry through their plan to move to the North Stand with mates from the Family Stand when they're 16. They see that as the solution to feeling free to properly get behind our team. An U21 section would be fantastic as I doubt they'll all get seats together in the North.

I also bloody hate songs being sung at 100mph & wish people could slow it all down.

i reckon under 45' s would do.....definitely a couple of large designated vocal areas.......bigger the better .....get the pensioners and families up into the upper tiers .......on my limited visits to the Amex i have always been given disapproving looks whilst being " raucous" in the south stand.....also a big help would be if everyone could sing together rather than look at it as some sort of contest....5k singing together sounds much better than 3 groups of 1500 singing ad hoc.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Get yourselves a decent up-to-date (well pop-era anyway) anthem. "Sussex By the Sea" IMHO is a joke, it doesn't strike fear into anybody. You need something spikey.

Get yer tin hat on. You heretic.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
So much to say on this subject, but will just say this:

I long for the day when the away section is next to the North Stand. The atmosphere would be atleast 5 times better. I've sat in the South Stand a few times this season, just so I can be close to the away fans again, it's something me and my mates really miss in the North Stand. I try to get songs going, but just get funny looks from the people around us, so there's never going to be a singing section there.

Imagine a full North Stand shouting down the Palace fans just away to our left in the East Stand. It would be unreal. We wouldn't get any of the "plastic support" and "soulless bowl" comments from away fans anymore.

Thing is, it probably won't happen, and there's a few reasons why, but the main reason is probably to do with money. Now the stadium has been around for a few years, away attendences are dropping off. So, for the club to make sure they don't go down even more, they have to offer the cheapest seats available to aways fans, but as we all know the East Stand is quite expensive for the current league we are in. So, it wouldn't be worth their while in money terms unless we were promoted.

It isn't just about the away fans either. All the season tickets in the East Stand, that would have to be moved, will be worth a lot more to the club then having them all in the South Stand instead. Especially the 1901 bit.

When it comes to the club, money is more important than atmosphere. Which is fair enough when we losing the amount we are every year. Paul Barber looks at the figures, not the noise levels. But if you want more atmosphere, then you'll have to move the away fans next to the North, and take a hit money wise too, probably.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Anything that involves moving whole blocks of season ticket holders won't happen, so best forget thoughts of that.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Boro's build up included a lot of pre-match music to hype the atmosphere, (I think Strings for Yasmin by Tin Tin Out was played a couple of times (used to be used by Sky for the football) + a lot of other similar era music too) - They used music to get the crowd going so why would you want to get rid of the music?

The biggest thing we have against creating an atmosphere is the high number of ST holders since the start of the Amex, it means that fans who want to sing can't move to the same area because of this.

Besides, with the existing atmosphere we have at our games, we still managed to equal Boro's points total and only lost out by a couple of goals over the course of the season. are you really trying to say the difference was the home atmosphere?
Home records of both teams:
Middlesbrough = W 16, D 5, L 2, GD +26
Brighton = W 15, D 5, L 3, GD +22

Do you honestly think the reason the atmosphere was so good was because the music was used to hype it up pre-match? The atmosphere was good despite the music! The music was drowning it out! Get rid.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We are what we are, and always have been.

As a group of home fans we are reactive and not proactive.
When we're loud we're very loud, but if the action or traveling fans are quiet, we are and always have been quieter.

No amount of seat changing, song speed or standing up will ever change that.

How anyone can think things can be changed when a sizable amount of the crowd don't know, or refuse to sing, the correct words to the club anthem, even when they are written on 2 giant screens, should tell you all you need to know.

If you don't think the atmosphere is good enough, do something about it, instead of grizzling on here.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Was happy to hear the pa turned up at the last game - no one gets into their seats until 10-15 mins before ko so the pa is the best way to get a pre-match atmosphere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was happy to hear the pa turned up at the last game - no one gets into their seats until 10-15 mins before ko so the pa is the best way to get a pre-match atmosphere.

what?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here