Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon's role last night

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Add an emphatic yes to your collection. He was magnificent last night. Motored around the pitch, breaking up opposition play and creating attacking options. Love it. New contract please...

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Had a great game. Linked with Bruno brilliantly & they nullified any threat down the right but also got forward on numerous occasions.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
It's a yes from me. I'll be very disappointed if he and Bruno don't start like that on Sunday.

Jim Bob

Dec 6, 2014
He was great. He did a job on Mings first and foremost. He also had Bruno behind him and Tex to the left forming an irresistible Iberian triangle. He also has real physicality, a great first touch and a great engine. He's definitely exposed at right back - but when the game's in front of him (and there's cover behind), he's a properly good attacking option.

I'm loving the 'Iberian Triangle' Nice one :thumbsup:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
How he managed to keep running with that energy all game is beyond me. Great performance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm interested to hear from those at the game as I only listened on the radio but much was made of him playing as an old-fashioned inside right. From the commentary and the ratings thread it sounds like he had a cracking game in that position. Do you think he should carry on playing in this spot?

I must admit I'm hoping for an emphatic 'yes' as I'm desperately hoping for a new contract for him next year.

Emphatic yes from me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Calde's work rate was phenomenal last night. He seemed to playing centre forward at the end - he was just about everywhere

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Their most attacking threat Mings was forced back by Calderon in the first half but it was noticeable that they got him on the ball more in the 2nd half and Calde wasnt so effective. Good thinking and tactics by CH who I know watched us at Portman Rd and saw what Mings can do getting forward.

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
That's what my mates view was. Mings is one of their best players and he had a very quiet night. Most of their threat came down their right side rather than the left. Tactical genius on the part of CH. Come Sunday, Calde's job will be to man mark Cazorla for 90 minutes!

Calderon is one of the few men I could expect to man mark Cazorla AND Sanchez at the same time.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Couldn't believe how much of an engine the man has, still chasing everything right up until the final whistle. At times he looked to be the second striker behind COG.

As I said in the ratings thread, he's not the pace to be a winger, but the 'Iberian Triangle' (God that's a lovely phrase) worked really well. Wouldn't be disappointed if we saw that on Sunday.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Was a little confused when we first came out and Calde was so advanced but he had a great game and Hughton got his tactics spot on.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Calde was excellent and what a pleasure it is to have a manager who can look at what the opposition do and adjust his tactics accordingly.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He did a decent job, mainly in keeping Mings quiet.

However give me Elliot Bennett in that role any day of the week thank you.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I'm interested to hear from those at the game as I only listened on the radio but much was made of him playing as an old-fashioned inside right. From the commentary and the ratings thread it sounds like he had a cracking game in that position. Do you think he should carry on playing in this spot?

I must admit I'm hoping for an emphatic 'yes' as I'm desperately hoping for a new contract for him next year.

I thought an UBER fan like you would have BEAN there last night

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Old EB -yes
Current EB - no thanks

Calde did more last night than EB did in the whole of his last stint with us.

SH didnt play EB in that role but when CH arrived he had 1 game there then was injured and the loan ended so unfair to judge him on his play for SH. Think that if he came back CH would have him playing in that role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here