Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Samuel in The Mail today - Brighton Beware

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
One of the reasons that Steve Gibson and Tony Bloom are the ideal chairman for their fans is that they are in it for the long haul and would see relegations and promotions as part of a longer story. Both would invest to fight in the Premier League, or in the event of relegation back to the Championship, to try to go again, but neither would gamble the future stability of their clubs on staying permanently in the Premier League, because being in the Premier League is not the be all and end all of a football club.

What Martin Samuels says is true of Brighton next year, but its also true of the large majority of the league. I think I'm right in saying that, since inception, only Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton and Chelsea have been ever present. Everton have flirted with relegation on more than one occasion. The other four plus the newly monied Man City are probably the only five clubs that can plan with confidence that relegation is not a possibility. Everyone else should have a back up plan for the eventuality. Tony, like Steve Gibson will be prepared.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
That is a pointless article that doesn't really say Anything. He says it will be hard in the premier league - no shit. He seems to think that football clubs are only a success if they win the league. Football clubs are much more than this. What is the point of any team existing outside the big 8 or 9? Are Leicester the only other successful club (cheated with finances).

There will always be a pecking order of clubs
Man U, Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs plus possibly Everton.

You then get into other sides who might hope for a good cup run and should be pretty secure in the prem such as Stoke, saints, West Brom

You then get the teams who will probably struggle.

I see no reason that us and Newcastle could not end up in the second group with 30k plus crowds and great facilities.

We may well go down, it won't be the end of the world. We will still be a well run club.

You can go down the leagues to find other well run clubs but just because they will never be a Man U or Arsenal does not mean they are not brilliant.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If Parrish and Holloway would have had any class, they would have made a public apology for their unfair and lying accusations about the perpetrator. They are the lowest of the low.

Their lack of class surrounding this (faecal) matter sums up that scummy club perfectly. Whenever we are asked why we despise the scum up the A23 that evening is all people need to know.

Sorry [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], had to comment :wave:

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
One of the reasons that Steve Gibson and Tony Bloom are the ideal chairman for their fans is that they are in it for the long haul and would see relegations and promotions as part of a longer story. Both would invest to fight in the Premier League, or in the event of relegation back to the Championship, to try to go again, but neither would gamble the future stability of their clubs on staying permanently in the Premier League, because being in the Premier League is not the be all and end all of a football club.

What Martin Samuels says is true of Brighton next year, but its also true of the large majority of the league. I think I'm right in saying that, since inception, only Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton and Chelsea have been ever present. Everton have flirted with relegation on more than one occasion. The other four plus the newly monied Man City are probably the only five clubs that can plan with confidence that relegation is not a possibility. Everyone else should have a back up plan for the eventuality. Tony, like Steve Gibson will be prepared.

Missed Arsenal out of the ever presents - down to 6. Villa were the last to go, can't see any more of them being relegated for a long while....

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Wow. Every now and again, someone writes an article that you wish you could have written. Fair play, this good, very good. In fact so good I shall print and keep for this frustrating moments when we have lost four on a spin and just conceded in injury time to lose 1-2. Those moments like 13.50 on Sunday when the frustration kicks in, when you just HAVE to find something that is fundamentally wrong, but actually there isn't, we have just been unlucky, someone made a mistake, we missed another, ref was crap etc etc etc.

It is the nature of football I have always been fascinated by the tendency of many to come up with causes, reasons, blame, when things go wrong, But in a sport where there is an unrivalled premium on the scoring event, there is a high degree of chance, and no matter how well you set up, how good your preparation is, how good the 'club' is, s**t sometimes happens.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Typical Journo writing concentrating on the bad news. Where's the comparison with Peter Coates at Stoke. He's a Stoke man thru and thru and kept them in the Prem for 10 YEARS.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Just seen this in the comments section:

:facepalm:

Depressing that various versions of this myth are still out there with the ignorant. An enduring legacy of Palace's utterly snide classlessness at the time. I suppose we shouldn't have expected any better of that club though. Riddled from top to bottom with spivs, liars and thieves.

Doesn't seem to be there now.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Gibson doesn't interfere? Really? Wasn't it him that signed a load of players Karanka didn't want?

Always has done. I once had a chance to chat with Gareth Southgate, and I asked him about his worst ever signings. He told me that most people say Mido, but he wasn't his signing, he was a Gibson signing, Southgate never wanted him. He was impossible to manage because fines didn't bother him as he was already rich enough not to care. But what grated for Southgate was that he was getting merciless stick for the signing, a signing that had left him without any decent transfer funds, and Gibson never stepped forward and said that one was down to him. Instead, he sacked him!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure why so many are branding it a crap article. As I said, it doesn't really tell US anything we didn't already know, its more of a reflective piece drawing the conclusion that even very well run clubs can get relegated, you don't just need bad owners or turmoil off the pitch, small details or "mistakes" can make a bigger difference to clubs like ours when we step up top the Premier League. But it also draws attention to the fact that (most) fans of clubs such as ours and Boro won't take to the streets with pitchforks if the club is relegated, as we know where we've come from, and that we know the club is in the best possible hands.

Not much wrong with that IMO.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Got stung by Leicester innit. No more 5,000-1 shots.

That's one view. There's another.

I'd have thought they'd be buoyed by it. There's no way that's going to happen again and there must be lots of would be Leicester fans now willing to bet on their team doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Reasonable article, but to compare the emotional behaviour of Karanka and Hughton is a bit silly.

Was gonna say - decent article overall, but totally missed a trick by talking about Karanka and Guardiola's hotheadedness, without then contrasting to how that WON'T happen under Hughton...

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

Arsenal too but I get your point

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here