Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you believe the Earth is flat?

Do you believe the Earth is flat?

• Yes, I firmly believe the Earth is flat

Votes: 30 11.1%
  • I'm unsure, but the Earth could be flat

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • I believe The Earth is absolutely NOT flat

Votes: 229 84.5%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry to piss further onto your chips but I disagree with this statement too and regard it as a little reckless. I'm with you completely that the more esoteric side to physics requires far more complex science especially at the quantum level but I do remember it being drummed into me that for large, slow-moving objects e.g. planets that Newtonian Laws give a very accurate approximation of what's going on.

It may not be 100% accurate but we've plenty of science to back it up and it's enabled us to put men on the moon. It's therefore completely wrong to say that this simplistic view might be as accurate as a flat disc theory. If you argue otherwise then you're only giving succour to people peddling bad science.

Exactly. When I fall on my arse the extent to which it hurts is calculable from p=mf. Quantum mechanics is not required.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If you take off vertically in a helicopter say in Shoreham, hover for a few minutes then descend back down, the speed at which the Earth is spinning would mean you would land somewhere else like Paris for example. But you dont, you still land in Shoreham, which means the Earth is flat and not spinning.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
If you take off vertically in a helicopter say in Shoreham, hover for a few minutes then descend back down, the speed at which the Earth is spinning would mean you would land somewhere else like Paris for example. But you dont, you still land in Shoreham, which means the Earth is flat and not spinning.

Unless of course there is an atmosphere moving at the same speed as the earth.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Good point ,I hate The Waltzer at a fun fair, I cant stand spinning it makes me feel very sick so why do I feel fine.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Unless of course there is an atmosphere moving at the same speed as the earth.

Ive just been outside for verification, the atmosphere is moving at about 5mph, this is wildly inferior to the speeds spinning earthers claim is going on at the height of my hovering helicopter( about six feet...........give or take the odd foot.......im not an experienced pilot)

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Why has this Flat earth society obsession kicked off recently all over the web? Anyone would think it's some brand new, random idea. On NSC it's not anywhere near as extreme as what you see on the media in relation to the flat earth theory and the noise it's currently making. I've even seen someone on 'This morning' a flat-earther being invited onto the show to talk about his ideas!? I've heard Russell Brand (of all people) mocking a flat earther on the radio for his 'mad' views. It's as if they've suddenly become the majority too?

One thing I don't understand is why NASA or whoever is so offended/shocked by the flat earth theory becoming a worldwide sensation, don't just get one of the head Flat earth members to jump in a shuttle and be proven that earth is a globe so he/she can come back down and help the flat-earther's with facts rather than superstition? Now we have the technology, this could all be proven without having to have a debate with them. Obviously it would cost loads, but considering even Freddy Flintoff believes in the earth being flat, surely they could all chip in for a flat-earther to be sent into space to prove or disprove this whole debate?

I'd be up for doing bucket collections in aid of this. Anyone else interested PM me.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Yes atmosphere, like a fly in a moving car

Here you go. Make a hat.

d8336390865d342dab53ae2316ccec4e.jpg

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Why has this Flat earth society obsession kicked off recently all over the web? Anyone would think it's some brand new, random idea. On NSC it's not anywhere near as extreme as what you see on the media in relation to the flat earth theory. I've even seen someone on GMTV (i think) a flat-earther being invited onto the show to talk about his ideas!? I've heard Russell Brand (of all people) mocking a flat earther on the radio for his 'mad' views. It's as if they've suddenly become the majority too?

One thing I don't understand is why NASA or whoever is so offended/shocked by the flat earth theory becoming a worldwide sensation, don't just get one of the head Flat earth members to jump in a shuttle and be proven that earth is a globe so he/she can come back down and help the flat-earther's with facts rather than superstition? Now we have the technology, this could all be proven without having to have a debate with them. Obviously it would cost loads, but considering even Freddy Flintoff believes in the earth being flat, surely they could all chip in for a flat-earther to be sent into space to prove or disprove this whole debate?

I'd be up for doing bucket collections in aid of this. Anyone else interested PM me.

Yes but they would still not believe it

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ive just been outside for verification, the atmosphere is moving at about 5mph, this is wildly inferior to the speeds spinning earthers claim is going on at the height of my hovering helicopter( about six feet...........give or take the odd foot.......im not an experienced pilot)

Inert.....

Hang on, are you fishing!?

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Jumping in an aeroplane does not result into crashing through the front

I think some people may have bunked off school during the inertia and conservation of momentum physics lessons. Actually they may have bunked off all the physics lessons....

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
If the earth really was flat, surely Wilfrid Zaha would be able to stay on his feet without falling over?

Thread finished, I believe.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
was agreeing with the point....

He accidentally sent that to you. He wasn't aware you were agreeing with him. Just understand that some people like these debates just so they can get their chance to play the 'you're a tinfoil hatter card'. It helps their self awareness with an illusion that they're totally sane (which no one on a earth is). It's a dysfunctional life dynamic that they want everyone to think and behave the same as them and if not, they'll label them with a completely milked insult which everyone else uses.

We should call these people 'The think like us society' or even 'The be like me society'

As Albert Einstein famously put it "People should have no right to think for themselves"

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here