Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Six Games In, how do you feel about our season so far?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bit bored to be honest . Spent money in the summer and aren’t using any of them.

Bissouma only getting a game cause Gross is out and Montoya is in cause Bruno is close to drawing his pension .

I could understand Hewoughton cautious tactics in our first season but we’ve spent £100 million since promotion and are still mainly playing the championship line up. Either the manager hates change or the recruitment hasn’t been as good as we all thought . Who knows .

Probably the most boring team in the league to watch this season , which is a shame .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Burnley (normally). Playing them should be a snooze-fest for neutrals.

Unless .... we can recreate that amazing 45 minutes versus ManU.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think we're about par for where we should be to stay up.

As others have said, Huddersfield look shot at the moment and Cardiff just don't have the quality. After those two it's looking like Us, Saints, Newcastle, Burnley and Fulham will fight it out for the last spot, we're all much of a muchness so whoever gets it will probably consider themselves unlucky. Everyone else has too much quality, unless Dwane Dibley gets injured then they'll be dragged in also.

Not disagreeing with you, but what have the following clubs already done by September, to be out of the relegation mix? What do they do, that we don't?

West Ham
Palace
Bmuff

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
1. The opening fixtures have been tough (last season’s top four in the first seven games) and some people are rushing to conclusions about our prospects.
2. West Ham at home is a big game and I am confident it will see us play a lot further forward than we did against Spurs.
3. Our bench on Saturday was unbelievably strong, with Izquierdo still to come. There is a lot of talent there and I’m really looking forward to seeing them.
4, Lewis Dunk has been disappointing this season and fitness looked an issue when he was bullied off the ball by Mitrovic and Kane. Whether or not he has fully recovered from his injury his form will return (class is permanent) and the clean sheets will follow.
5. Without pace up top teams defend high against us. This congests the midfield and allows them to press us further up the pitch. No matter how well Glenn plays, only the selection of Andone or Locadia will change this. Chris knows this and will choose his moment. When it comes, we will see the best of Davy Propper.
6. Five points from six matches is not a bad start – neither is 14th place. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Keep the faith, everyone!

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
5. Without pace up top teams defend high against us. This congests the midfield and allows them to press us high. No matter how well Glenn plays, only the selection of Andone or Locadia will change this. Chris knows this and will choose his moment. When this happens, we will see the best of Davy Propper.!

This is spot on but its going to be darn hard to drop him now......

D

Deleted member 2719

Maybe Danny Murphy should sign up to NSC and contribute his thoughts as another wannabe manager who knows better than CH. He’d fit in well on here too :smile:

Not sure why you think Danny is so wrong, most pundits and ex managers have said the same???

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Happy and pretty much where I thought we would be with exactly the number of points expected.
Watford aside I've enjoyed all the games and not been bored at all.
Think we will get stronger as long as we don't get any more key injuries.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is spot on but its going to be darn hard to drop him now......

But Glenn has that rare ability of being able to score PL goals, invaluable to the club. There are times (ManU, Fulham) where it does work, we play well, attack, press, with Glenn in the team, with plenty of support around him from other attack minded players.

Then back into our inhibited shells in other matches.

A conundrum that CH is no doubt looking to solve.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The only disappointing result is not beating Fulham. We've played well against Man Utd, Liverpool & Spurs and are unlucky not to have got 5 points from those games. We've started most games poorly and that needs to change. Also been unlucky with injuries and having Gross play may have grabbed us a win against Fulham or Saints.

Slightly disappointed but not concerned as I'm not expecting to get drawn into a relegation battle

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Well I am biased but I look at every game barring the Watford one and think

Last year when we went behind I was never confident of coming back in matches - This year so far we look capable of getting back into any match if we step up our game.

I actually felt this against Spurs. At half-time, 1-0 down, I thought - oh well, if we improve in the second half as we have been doing, and get one back - we could win this. And if Knocky had put away his great chance, I reckon we would have done so. So - I think I do feel more confident than last year.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Doing alright. Three games against the top six out the way without too much damage, the team seems pretty competitive. Izquierdo and Andone to come.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I actually felt this against Spurs. At half-time, 1-0 down, I thought - oh well, if we improve in the second half as we have been doing, and get one back - we could win this. And if Knocky had put away his great chance, I reckon we would have done so. So - I think I do feel more confident than last year.

Absolutely. Think it would have knocked them out of their stride completely......they even visibly wobbled when we got one on 92 mins.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Saturday showed again that against the top 6-8 teams we can't afford to make mistakes and need the majority of our players to be 7+ ratings over the NINETY minutes.
The Murray penalty brain fart coupled with Knocky's miss at 0-1 killed us. Spurs were rocking in that 15 minute spell after HT but we had to score then and didn't.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Saturday showed again that against the top 6-8 teams we can't afford to make mistakes and need the majority of our players to be 7+ ratings over the NINETY minutes.
The Murray penalty brain fart coupled with Knocky's miss at 0-1 killed us. Spurs were rocking in that 15 minute spell after HT but we had to score then and didn't.

[emoji106][emoji106]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure why you think Danny is so wrong, most pundits and ex managers have said the same???

It’s not their jobs on the line though is it? The ideal would be to go at every team and blast them away but it’s not going to happen in the real world is it? If Knocky had put that last minute equaliser away the pundits and ex managers (I guess you are alluding to spend a lot and piss off Harry?) would have been raving about our tactics.

It’s not pretty but it is likely to be our best chance of staying up. Let’s leave the gung-ho stuff to matches against non top 4 clubs.

I am pretty sure CH didn’t tell the team to go out and run around chasing shadows for the first 15 mins either but that’s what we had to do. It’s what top teams do to you.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Going forward we have looked much more threatening although have looked a bit lost at times without Groß. Still the squad looks like it has more goals in it.

Most concerning is how many goals we are conceding and both Dunk and Bong have looked miles from the consistency they showed last season.

Tighten up at the back and can see us pushing for the mid table spots

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Not disagreeing with you, but what have the following clubs already done by September, to be out of the relegation mix? What do they do, that we don't?

West Ham
Palace
Bmuff

West Ham have Arnautovic and Palace have zaha!

Bournemouth are a decent side, Eddie Howe knows how to set them up to win games.
I think West Ham at the moment won't be the same West Ham you see after Christmas once Pellegrino gets them playing.
Palace I'm not sure about, without zaha they're relegation candidates, but sadly all the time he's playing they'll pick up enough points to beast the drop.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Worried tbh.

My main concern is our massive reliance on Murray to score goals. We’ve spent a fortune on two strikers who can’t get near him at the moment. Locadia doesn’t look up to it yet Chris still prefers him to Andone.

My second concern is our defence. I keep reading on NSC how great our central defence is yet we have let in 2 goals in every game we’ve played (apart from Liverpool when we lost anyway). And this includes games against Watford, Fulham and Southampton. We can’t afford to keep doing that.

Third worry is the lack of goals from centre mid. I’m not sure if this is just how Chris sets up the team or the players themselves but we have to see more of a goal scoring threat from them. Although he missed a couple, it was good to see AK get into goal scoring positions on Saturday.

Im keeping the faith and a couple of good results will make me breathe easier but we don’t seem to have moved on much from last season and that concerns me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Third worry is the lack of goals from centre mid. I’m not sure if this is just how Chris sets up the team or the players themselves but we have to see more of a goal scoring threat from them. Although he missed a couple, it was good to see AK get into goal scoring positions on Saturday.

This is a confidence thing though isn't it. Once we "break the seal" I think the goals will start to flow a bit more freely, but we desparately need AK to hammer one home so that he stops getting so frustrated with himself.

Now he seems to back to his usual self again, he is back to his old problem... being far too critical of himself and making more and more mistakes because he is trying too hard. Jose is the same. And, to a lesser extent, I think Solly has the same issue. You can see over the course of the match they get more and more anxious if things aren't going their way.

All we need is a little luck handed to us by the Football Gods and I think we will see more goals from more players, but for as long as they all feel they can't score, they won't score.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Worried tbh.

My main concern is our massive reliance on Murray to score goals. We’ve spent a fortune on two strikers who can’t get near him at the moment. Locadia doesn’t look up to it yet Chris still prefers him to Andone.

Were you expecting Andone to go straight into the starting line up after recovering from injury?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here