Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Lord Bracknell

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
RIP LB....... an intelligent and good man.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Oh, such sad news. I met him a couple of times, top bloke.

RIP fella

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As many know, Ed had another footballing passion, Newport County. This is him with me, my brother, the missus, at Wembley at the 2012 FA Trophy Final between York and Newport County (pic taken by a Welsh sister in law). Not the best result that day, but the following year we went to the Conference Playoff Final together, to see Wrexham put to the sword, and Newport promoted tot the football league.

View attachment 87684

Such was the gent he was, he bought the first ever shirt from my shop - before it opened. The above Newport County shirt.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Seems very surreal reading tribute after tribute to Lord Bracknell on NSC. In many ways, and for many years, Lord Bracknell was NSC.

No poster is bigger than the Board - but Ed came pretty damn close.

I'm going to miss him terribly.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Never met Ed, no idea who he is or the work he put in to saving the Albion, sorry.
What i do know is that his Avatar is one of the few I know by sight, was that him or just a picture? When I posted something he would always come back with sensible answers or suggestions. For being a good guy on NSC I will miss him.

Once a year, the Lewes Arms Dramatic Society (LADS) would dress up in period costume and re-enact their own 'adult' take on a traditional panto. It basically consisted of Roz single-handedly keeping the nob gag alive, while everyone played every line for laughs.

Ed would often be cast in the role of a senior figure - often a baddie (the High Sheriff, the King, a Bishop, the Count - with an 'o') - and he rarely learned his lines. Instead he would have a prop like a bible or a parchment scroll, upon which were his unlearned lines. From there, his share of nob gags would be spoke forth. Fair to say he never fluffed his lines, though his delivery could often be the quality of a Brighton cross against Walsall...

Well, we enjoyed it anyway.

The picture in his avatar is, I believe, from one of those plays.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gosh those threads, those threads. First thing in the morning, someone would post the Argus headline on here with the latest disaster / delay that had befallen the Falmer planning application. We'd all run around like headless chickens on here in a panic. The told-you-so doom-mongers would all be out in force, "its never going to happen". And then, Lord B would arrive on the thread, dissect the report, put it all in laymans terms, explain the process, get us back on track, and get us re-focussed. I can't remember how many times his wise, sage words soothed my furrowed brow over Falmer, but his was SUCH an authoritive voice on the subject, I just could not help but believe him. It was impossible not to reap such confidence from his utter conviction.

And the old bugger was right. He was right about everything. Just look at where we are now.

I've read this thread with tears in my eyes, especially at the fact that he never quite made it to see us walk out in the Premier League at the Amex. But he played such a huge part in where we are now. What a legacy. What a man.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Such sad news RIP .

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gosh those threads, those threads. First thing in the morning, someone would post the Argus headline on here with the latest disaster / delay that had befallen the Falmer planning application. We'd all run around like headless chickens on here in a panic. The told-you-so doom-mongers would all be out in force, "its never going to happen". And then, Lord B would arrive on the thread, dissect the report, put it all in laymans terms, explain the process, get us back on track, and get us re-focussed. I can't remember how many times his wise, sage words soothed my furrowed brow over Falmer, but his was SUCH an authoritive voice on the subject, I just could not help but believe him. It was impossible not to reap such confidence from his utter conviction.

And the old bugger was right. He was right about everything. Just look at where we are now.

I've read this thread with tears in my eyes, especially at the fact that he never quite made it to see us walk out in the Premier League at the Amex. But he played such a huge part in where we are now. What a legacy. What a man.

I remember those days Easy, you are spot on. If I remember correctly, Your BATS avatar was from those lengthy enquiry meetings. Like you, I always waited for Ed's comments on proceedings because we always knew that he knew what he was talking about, He was a very clever man,

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I remember those days Easy, you are spot on. If I remember correctly, Your BATS avatar was from those lengthy enquiry meetings. Like you, I always waited for Ed's comments on proceedings because we always knew that he knew what he was talking about, He was a very clever man,

You are correct. This was an afternoon session when the LDC lawyer drew himself up to his full 5'9 and asked his witness, with a perfectly straight face..."but you accept that there IS an increased risk of vehicle / bat collision", to much snickering from the galleries.

It was a surreal moment in the history of BHAFC, and quite brilliantly captured by [MENTION=14113]tom[/MENTION] Hark Preston Park in his scribings of the day on here. Probably knocking about in Gold somewhere. And dear Ed was there of course.

Reinelt 62

Jul 5, 2003
I haven’t posted on NSC for many a long year, but I felt that I had to add my sorrow at the news of his passing away and offer my sincere condolences to Roz too. Throughout the life of NSC His Bracknellship could be relied upon for producing the most cogent postings, coupled with a most acerbic wit, that shone like a beacon from the site’s pages. He was not the only person that got the Albion to Falmer, but as one of the voices of the fans he played a most important part. I had the privilege of meeting him just the once, briefly in the God-forsaken hellhole of that Oak Stand at Luton, c 2004.

As others have written it would be wonderful if the club could permanently recognise his contributions, and those of other fans who are now longer with us, to the effort over the last twenty years.

RIP Ed. Let’s hope you can look down at the Albion on what will be the Glorious 12th.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You are correct. This was an afternoon session when the LDC lawyer drew himself up to his full 5'9 and asked his witness, with a perfectly straight face..."but you accept that there IS an increased risk of vehicle / bat collision", to much snickering from the galleries.

It was a surreal moment in the history of BHAFC, and quite brilliantly captured by [MENTION=14113]tom[/MENTION] Hark Preston Park in his scribings of the day on here. Probably knocking about in Gold somewhere. And dear Ed was there of course.

It was in Gold.
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?10640-Tom-Hark-s-Falmer-Reports

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], I noticed that Ed's reports are in archives/other stuff so please can they be transferred to Gold, when you have the time? Sometimes it's really worth reading again, just what some fans did for Falmer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here