Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calde wins unsung hero award

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The world needs more Inigo Calderons in it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Humbled by the Unsung Hero award, Calderon doesn’t understand what all the fuss is about. He sees using your status as a footballer to improve the lives of those in your local community is a given and would like to see the game’s global superstars like Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo do more in that regard.

“I don’t consider myself as a hero at all. The real heroes in this story should be the top players because I think they have real power to change things.

“If they just said one day that you have to eat a red apple, then 80% of the kids in the world are going to start eating red apples. They could use their power to change things and to do things for the benefit of human beings, instead of just trying to get more and more money with advertising.

“I feel bad about it because I don’t have any power to change things. Maybe if I have a chat with 20 kids and one of them listens to me and changes something in his life to be a better person I am more than happy but these guys, Messi and Ronaldo, they could change the world if they want and they are not doing it. I feel they should do more.

“It doesn’t need to be in their contracts. At the end of the day, they are going to earn the same money. If they want to advertise underwear they can still get millions and millions but at the same time they could say something about peace, or they could tell kids: ‘Please listen to your parents’ or ‘Be good in school’, something simple like that, because society needs that now.

“For me the real heroes should be the ones who save lives, doctors who save the life of a child with cancer.

“Unfortunately the world is such that footballers are the heroes, so I think they should say: ‘Okay I am Messi and I want to change things and do something good for the world.’”!

:bowdown:

He's absolutely spot on there.

So glad we have him at this club, and long may it remain so - a genuinely fantastic human being.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
He turned up at our youth football club last season to give out the awards and provided the kids with a most motivational speech about being the best they can be in whatever they do. He spent a lot of time talking with the kids and their parents. He really is a class act. I know we have some of the old players doing stuff in the community as an old pals act but Caldi really can offer something special to this when he hangs up his boots.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
He scores with his face
He scores with his face
Inigo Claderon
He scores with his face

[YT]AS86HxQrwQo[/YT]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Love him to bits.

I won a Cult Zero tshirt in the REMF raffle this year, and chose Calde with the words 'He scores with his face'

I hope the club offer him a job for life, when he retires from football. I don't care what others think, he needs to stay with us.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I stopped and had a brief chat to him on the seafront last month. What a genuinely nice guy.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Need to offer him something to stay at the club when he hangs up the boots. Legend.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Wait, wait, wait.

He got turned down by gillingham?:mad:

Thank god for that. Another vote for Calderon day.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Got a high five from him after the pre-season friendly versus Norwich a couple of years back, hand hasn't been washed since.

If we do get to the Premier League next year he simply HAS to be kept on. For him to complete his dream with us would be a beautiful moment, even if it was only one appearance.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I love his sub warm up routine, normally in the second half, run about a bit, stretch, COACH, run about, stretch, COACH repeat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here