Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What's everyone one's final 7 days of taper plan?

I ran 7 miles Saturday (8 days to go)
Considering 6 miles tomorrow followed by a light 2 mile jog Friday or Saturday.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
What's everyone one's final 7 days of taper plan?

I ran 7 miles Saturday (8 days to go)
Considering 6 miles tomorrow followed by a light 2 mile jog Friday or Saturday.

Sounds perfect, except I would do last light jog Friday and have 48 hours' complete rest.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Am I right to assume you are not entered for the Brighton Marathon? Getting a 5K pb 1 week before would not be wise. If you are, you have 6 days to ease IBS/ITB. Good luck. I just shut my big toe in the car door whilst barefoot. A bloody mess but should only be a pain next Sunday rather than a hindrance.

Yep am registered, its my fav day of the year and wouldn't miss it for anything...wasn't going to "go for a time" in the parkrun, it just sort of happened...going to be much more disciplined and rest all week, maybe do one light jog Friday evening.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I ran 7 miles earlier and am still feeling good about Sunday. I've changed from Asics Gel Cumuls trainers to Adidas energy boost so I'm hoping they will help protect my joints.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Obviously I don't know the situation as well as you, but he has a lot of positives in his favour. His completed the distance and course before in good time. And 18 miles is decent preparation in my opinion. When I ran my first marathon I never got above 18 and I found the marathon easier than I expected. Never under estimate the power of the crowds and the whole atmosphere, it really does drive you on.

I would say your advise is spot on.

I agree, he'll be fine.

I've done two. The first one I went off a bit quicker than I should have done as I was trying to keep pace with a couple of friends (both 6ft+ guys with a much faster natural pace than me). I was in a lot of pain by not very far in.

The second, one of my friends had a slight injury so we took it (what felt like) really slowly from the start. Seemed like we were just plodding & enjoying the day.

I ended up completing that marathon 12 minutes faster than my first one, and the last section went like a dream. I overtook so many people in the last few miles from Shoreham Power Station to Madeira Drive.

My longest training run (just short of 20 miles) was also shorter for the 2nd marathon, and I concentrated on getting more shorter but faster training runs in between the long runs.

Slow & steady (on the day) is the way to go as far as I'm concerned :)

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I ran 7 miles earlier and am still feeling good about Sunday. I've changed from Asics Gel Cumuls trainers to Adidas energy boost so I'm hoping they will help protect my joints.

I'm by no means an expert but would be wary about changing to new trainers at this stage with so little until we run.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I'm by no means an expert but would be wary about changing to new trainers at this stage with so little until we run.

I know what you mean. I bought them the weekend of the Ipswich game and have done about 30 miles in them so far and they're comfortable. Will do 8 or 9 tomorrow and that should do it.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I know what you mean. I bought them the weekend of the Ipswich game and have done about 30 miles in them so far and they're comfortable. Will do 8 or 9 tomorrow and that should do it.

That mileage will be plenty. You will know by now if they are going to cause you a problem.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just the wind that would concern me, it would help you out for the final four miles, but nearly all into the wind once you turn at Ovingdean.

That's OK, that's what I've had in my face for the final miles of my long training runs for months. Heading from Brighton back to Shoreham-by-Sea it's been pretty brutal at times...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ran 6.55 miles (1/4 of a marathon) yesterday at marathon pace 8:39 miles.

I've been getting pain in the bottom of my right foot since Saturday. It's not there all the time, but can be pretty uncomfortable when walking. Any ideas what it could be?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yep am registered, its my fav day of the year and wouldn't miss it for anything...wasn't going to "go for a time" in the parkrun, it just sort of happened...going to be much more disciplined and rest all week, maybe do one light jog Friday evening.

Good. Your enthusiasm is brilliant. Hope you get sub 3:30 and enjoy the wind and rain.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ran 6.55 miles (1/4 of a marathon) yesterday at marathon pace 8:39 miles.

I've been getting pain in the bottom of my right foot since Saturday. It's not there all the time, but can be pretty uncomfortable when walking. Any ideas what it could be?

Tendonitis, I think. You can try 10 min ice foot baths, ibuprofen and the rest it will get anyway. Its linked to tight calves. You could get Jesus at Corals on it or just rest it and hope. Good luck

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So, with four days to go, what's everyone eating? I'm never sure how much to load up on carbs, and when to start.

Also, anyone got any advice on cramp, specifically how to prevent/reduce it? I suffered with it on the bike in both feet today after a 1,500m swim, and don't really want that on Sunday.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
So, with four days to go, what's everyone eating? I'm never sure how much to load up on carbs, and when to start.

Also, anyone got any advice on cramp, specifically how to prevent/reduce it? I suffered with it on the bike in both feet today after a 1,500m swim, and don't really want that on Sunday.

Where have you and will you be swimming? I tend to get cramp in my calves quite a lot when swimming in the pool, and most people say this is from pushing off the walls. I've not had an issue in the open water, but then I probably swim further and harder in the pool. And like I said, that was my calves, not feet.

Apart from pushing off the walls more gently I've been advised to hydrate more and take on salts, both before and during the swimming (but that is length based swimming training where you regularly stop).

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010

I tend to suffer from cramp after prolonged periods of exercise/playing football and the best thing I've found to help combat it is Zero High 5, which is tablet you dissolve in water. I tend to find half a tablet beforehand helps to prevent problems with cramp later on. The one thing you need to be wary of is that for some people it can act as a diuretic!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Good luck to all those running on Sunday.

As usual, my wife and I will be handing out Jelly Babies and cut up oranges.

Four of my son's friends are running in Telly Tubby costumes, hope it stays dry for them.

Once again, good luck.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Good. Your enthusiasm is brilliant. Hope you get sub 3:30 and enjoy the wind and rain.

Won't get close to 3:30...did 3:56 last year so would be thrilled with 3:45-3:50, anything thats an improvement would be good really. The only question mark I've got is my knees at the moment, I'm not worried about anything else. I know I can do the distance and my determination will be higher than ever...just need to stay injury free! Thanks!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Won't get close to 3:30...did 3:56 last year so would be thrilled with 3:45-3:50, anything thats an improvement would be good really. The only question mark I've got is my knees at the moment, I'm not worried about anything else. I know I can do the distance and my determination will be higher than ever...just need to stay injury free! Thanks!

If it's the outside of the knee. It's the illibotial band. Try the stretch I put on a few pages back. Slowly. The seated pigeon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here