Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sitting on the beach in Cabo De Gato en Espana at the moment having had a lovely lunch and a small glass of vino rioja. I have to say take it easy on the long long run. You have done enough. Drop down to 14 or 16 if you have too in the week. After a shower I will be heading off for a slow long run of about 12 miles. Good luck with knee and nurse it as you did today.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
And I have just read through today's posts on this thread and even though spread vertical, akin to a potato on Valium. It has given me stitch ! Stop running, Knocky1 had the right idea by sitting in the sun with a nice lunch and a glass of Rioja ( though it was the wrong size) and then spoilt it by talk of running off somewhere....ah here come my chips :)

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
This will be my 5th too, and I'm really looking forward to it....however...

Went out to run another 21 miles today and had to stop after 10...pains in my left knee and knew it would only get worse if I continued on...did 21 in 3 hours last week so know I can get up to the distance, just wasn't my day today.

I've got the option of doing another long run on Wednesday, or next Sunday...any advice on this? Obviously I want to taper down but feel a bit low after having to give up early today. Should I go for it again on Wednesday then taper down, or just start to take it easy now anyway?

2 weeks to go!

Also my 5th. I'd leave it. You know you can do the distance so best not to risk injury. Did 11.5m today myself after 22m last Sunday and 20m the Sunday before. Hoping to beat my 3hrs 58m from last year.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Good day to you fellow runners. I come here to ask your collective advice.

I have a place in London Marathon this year (April 13th), after having run my maiden marathon in Brighton last year (3hr 24mins).

My training this year has been a little erratic due to shin splints and a few colds. I've been doing cross training and recovery and speed runs midweek but these are my long runs:

Date, Time, Miles, Pace
Sun, Mar 23, 2:25:00, 19.00, 7:38
Sun, Mar 16, 1:47:04, 14.10, 7:36
Sat, Mar 8, 2:28:16, 20.00, 7:25
Sat, Feb 22, 1:56:00, 15.00, 7:44
Sun, Feb 16, 1:59:26, 16.02, 7:27
Sun, Feb 9, 1:46:33, 14.02, 7:36
Sun, Jan 26, 2:00:31, 16.02, 7:31
Sun, Jan 19, 1:53:29, 15.12, 7:30

I was aiming to get my 22 miler done today but felt so hot, tired and heavy legged when I got to 18 that I decided to call it a day at 19. I wasn't feeling that great in the morning anyhow. My question is, in your honest opinion, have I done enough to get me around? The reason I ask is this time around I've felt a complete lack of energy when I get towards the end of my routes. I do pretty much always end with an uphill, which I won't have to contend with in London. Could this be the reason I'm struggling towards the end?

I'd appreciate your opinions/views/advice.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Rode 26.6km this morning before heading out on a 22-miler to Saltdean and back. Run took 3:40 and last two miles were near 11min mile pace. Nice reminder of the challenge I've put myself up for but unlike last year there is no pressure on myself to get a specific time. Great running weather and met loads of groups heading East as I was coming back.

Oh yeah, then there was the small matter of the Sport Relief mile with the Bobkin boys. Nice warmdown, that...

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Good day to you fellow runners. I come here to ask your collective advice.

I have a place in London Marathon this year (April 13th), after having run my maiden marathon in Brighton last year (3hr 24mins).

My training this year has been a little erratic due to shin splints and a few colds. I've been doing cross training and recovery and speed runs midweek but these are my long runs:

Date, Time, Miles, Pace
Sun, Mar 23, 2:25:00, 19.00, 7:38
Sun, Mar 16, 1:47:04, 14.10, 7:36
Sat, Mar 8, 2:28:16, 20.00, 7:25
Sat, Feb 22, 1:56:00, 15.00, 7:44
Sun, Feb 16, 1:59:26, 16.02, 7:27
Sun, Feb 9, 1:46:33, 14.02, 7:36
Sun, Jan 26, 2:00:31, 16.02, 7:31
Sun, Jan 19, 1:53:29, 15.12, 7:30

I was aiming to get my 22 miler done today but felt so hot, tired and heavy legged when I got to 18 that I decided to call it a day at 19. I wasn't feeling that great in the morning anyhow. My question is, in your honest opinion, have I done enough to get me around? The reason I ask is this time around I've felt a complete lack of energy when I get towards the end of my routes. I do pretty much always end with an uphill, which I won't have to contend with in London. Could this be the reason I'm struggling towards the end?

I'd appreciate your opinions/views/advice.

In my opinion you have done your long runs too quickly (all faster than race pace by the looks!), particularly the 2 longest ones so no wonder you are shattered. That will also help to explain your shin splints-too quick too early.

Conversely I'm not sure you have done enough long runs to be in optimum shape, with only 2 over 16. If I were you I would do a SLOW (8'15-8'30s) 22 next Sunday as much for your mental well being as physical (!) then be very strict on your taper. In last 2 weeks you cannot really add to your performance but you can certainly detract from it.

Fantastic maiden race time btw!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
This will be my 5th too, and I'm really looking forward to it....however...

Went out to run another 21 miles today and had to stop after 10...pains in my left knee and knew it would only get worse if I continued on...did 21 in 3 hours last week so know I can get up to the distance, just wasn't my day today.

I've got the option of doing another long run on Wednesday, or next Sunday...any advice on this? Obviously I want to taper down but feel a bit low after having to give up early today. Should I go for it again on Wednesday then taper down, or just start to take it easy now anyway?

2 weeks to go!

DO NOT DO ANOTHER LONG RUN!! In last 2 weeks you cannot add to your performance but you can certainly detract from it! A full taper is critical to be in best shape on race day, particularly if you are injured.

Instead get some exercises in, or go see a physio, for what sounds like ITB trouble in order that you don't break down on the day.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
In my opinion you have done your long runs too quickly (all faster than race pace by the looks!), particularly the 2 longest ones so no wonder you are shattered. That will also help to explain your shin splints-too quick too early.

Conversely I'm not sure you have done enough long runs to be in optimum shape, with only 2 over 16. If I were you I would do a SLOW (8'15-8'30s) 22 next Sunday as much for your mental well being as physical (!) then be very strict on your taper. In last 2 weeks you cannot really add to your performance but you can certainly detract from it.

Fantastic maiden race time btw!

Thanks for the post.

I see what you're saying about my pace on the long runs. I've always found it difficult to run at an easy pace and find myself going flat out just to get it done. Regarding doing a 22 miler next week, my training plan had a three week taper scheduled in. Do you think two weeks could be enough recovery time?

Thanks in advance.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Thanks for the post.

I see what you're saying about my pace on the long runs. I've always found it difficult to run at an easy pace and find myself going flat out just to get it done. Regarding doing a 22 miler next week, my training plan had a three week taper scheduled in. Do you think two weeks could be enough recovery time?

Thanks in advance.

I think I would see how you go this week. If you feel energised (and be honest with yourself) come Sunday then go for it, but at the pace I suggested max. In all honesty its not going to make much difference either way. Its also good discipline occasionally to force yourself to run slower and not just max out. On the very long runs you should be running at a pace where you can still hold a conversation. Its the shorter midweek runs when you should focus on the speedwork (as I note you have).

On my long runs, I often run with a training buddy to kill the time/boredom.

I think what you really need is your mojo back so you are full of energy and raring to go on race day, as opposed to worrying you are going to blow up when out in Shoreham Harbour!

Best of luck with it, and let us know how you get on.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I think I would see how you go this week. If you feel energised (and be honest with yourself) come Sunday then go for it, but at the pace I suggested max. In all honesty its not going to make much difference either way. Its also good discipline occasionally to force yourself to run slower and not just max out. On the very long runs you should be running at a pace where you can still hold a conversation. Its the shorter midweek runs when you should focus on the speedwork (as I note you have).

On my long runs, I often run with a training buddy to kill the time/boredom.

I think what you really need is your mojo back so you are full of energy and raring to go on race day, as opposed to worrying you are going to blow up when out in Shoreham Harbour!

Best of luck with it, and let us know how you get on.

Cheers. Thanks again for the advice. I'll post on this thread to let you know how it goes.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Did a fartlek on the treadmill tonight - 1 min easy followed by 2 min hard. I set myself the target of completing 5k within 6 reps, i.e. 18 mins, with the reward that if I did, the Albion would win at Wednesday tomorrow.

17:58 - go large on an away win.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
DO NOT DO ANOTHER LONG RUN!! In last 2 weeks you cannot add to your performance but you can certainly detract from it! A full taper is critical to be in best shape on race day, particularly if you are injured.

Instead get some exercises in, or go see a physio, for what sounds like ITB trouble in order that you don't break down on the day.

ITB??? Thanks for the advice though, think I will do 15/13 on Wednesday and then 7/9 on Sunday.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
ITB??? Thanks for the advice though, think I will do 15/13 on Wednesday and then 7/9 on Sunday.

Where was the pain. Outside front/side area of your left knee?

Would really advise taking it easy tomorrow, and certainly no more than 13 and a very modest pace. Your knee was telling you something, which continued overuse now, with not enough time to recover, will mean you get on start line injured with potential to blow up before you complete marathon.

The taper really is all about ticking over/re-energising, with all the hard yards done.

Apols if I am coming across as lecturing, and appreciate you are an experienced long distance runner. Its just I want you to have the best possible chance on the day!

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Did a fartlek on the treadmill tonight - 1 min easy followed by 2 min hard. I set myself the target of completing 5k within 6 reps, i.e. 18 mins, with the reward that if I did, the Albion would win at Wednesday tomorrow.

17:58 - go large on an away win.

Impressive! What time can you run 5k running at a consistent speed?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I've been plagued by ITB problems since the end of Feb, I've tried various tactics and treatments to rid myself of it, and I'm pleased to report I ran 14 miles today without any issues. Although hamstrings felt a bit tighter today.

I started off by going to Studio 57 for two 45 minute sessions, I then bought a foam roller and started seeing a personal trainer once a week to strengthen my core and glutes. I have spent a fortune but it will be worth it if I get to the start line fully fit.

Oh yeah and I have the first of two sports massages today with Revitalise they are offering a 2 for 1 offer for new customers.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
One last thing knocky1 gave me this stretch http://www.yogaglo.com/online-class-...our-Chair.html

I've been doing this fairly regularly and certainly after each run, whilst I can't say for certain it's made the difference it certainly hasn't done me any harm. I ran 20.2 miles last Tuesday and whilst I had some pain it was nowhere near as severe as previous weeks, and as mentioned before I ran 14 miles today without any pain which is hugely encouraging as it has started as early as mile 7 in previous runs.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Impressive! What time can you run 5k running at a consistent speed?

17-27 is my PB. I reckon I might take 3-4 seconds off of that now if I did a standard 5k. I tend to just do triathlons now, but might be tempted to give it a go later this year.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I started off by going to Studio 57 for two 45 minute sessions, I then bought a foam roller and started seeing a personal trainer once a week to strengthen my core and glutes. I have spent a fortune but it will be worth it if I get to the start line fully fit.

Oh yeah and I have the first of two sports massages today with Revitalise they are offering a 2 for 1 offer for new customers.

Have you tried any TRX work? If so, did you find it helped or made it worse?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here