Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Labour won't betray the UK electorate like that. We're told by his hard left colleagues that he's a rarity in politics, honest and a man of conviction.

He may be (but he hasn't yet been tested under the pressure that these negotiations will bring) but I doubt that his subordinates are. They don't have the will to see this through.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Labour won't betray the UK electorate like that. We're told by his hard left colleagues that he's a rarity in politics, honest and a man of conviction.

He's also historically been a Brexiter while May has been a Remainer. But to get back to the negotiators, Starmer's a lawyer and he'll follow a brief. He's a Remainer himself but I'm sure in his long legal career he's had to argue a case that he doesn't personally believe.

I think it would be electoral suicide for Labour to try to back Remain if they won the election - we're coming out whoever wins, but the terms will be very different

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
He may be (but he hasn't yet been tested under the pressure that these negotiations will bring) but I doubt that his subordinates are. They don't have the will to see this through.
Evidence? What do you think they are going to do, just not turn up for the negotiations and say they can't be arsed?

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
At least they are not Marxists whose best buddies are the IRA. Can anyone on this board honestly say they think Abbot is anything but a piece of sh*t?

I don't think the Tories are particularly brilliant but in the land of the blind a one eyed man does have a distinct advantage...

The IRA card is wearing a bit thin now. I personally am not very keen on Diane Abbot but she has been a good MP for a number of years. Wouldn't like to see her serve in government again but I can say exactly the same for Liz Truss, Jeremy Hunt, Boris Johnson and Chris Grayling. All of these define the term 'out of their depth'. I'm sure the Tories will have to rely on the negative campaigning as you suggest as there a lot of proof this works. Lynton Crosby will be sure to get this campaign back to the 'lowest common denominator' and wheel out the 'strong and stable' line over and over, he's a master at this and has not been involved with many defeats.I think a lot of people are seeing through this now but whether enough do will remain to be seen.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I keep hearing this and it's something I genuinely don't understand. Both parties have made it clear (and the EU negotiating team have made it clear) that the PM will not be greatly involved in negotiations with the EU - it will be David Davis or Keir Starmer. And Labour has a clear edge there - Starmer is a QC, used to arguing the toss, Davis isn't.

And while it's not relevant to the issue, I'm not convinced that May is a tougher nut than Corbyn anyway. She's the one who, in this campaign, has avoided debate, will only speak in front of hand-picked audiences and tries to vet questions from the media. She's also had to make two u-turns in the last month or so (three if you count the election itself) Corbyn has spoken in public and has had to fend questions from a largely hostile press, held his ground and handled everything well so far. Why do people think that May is tougher?

I must admit until recently given a French situation of May v JC runoff, whilst I can't stand the Tories, I'd have gone for May all the way.

But starting to feel as though May's strength is wafer thin and she is so easily influenced, never had a PM like it. A liability..

https://www.ft.com/content/e021c208-3ede-11e7-9d56-25f963e998b2

If I were a Brexiteer I'd be starting to get worried

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
At least they are not Marxists whose best buddies are the IRA. Can anyone on this board honestly say they think Abbot is anything but a piece of sh*t?

I don't think the Tories are particularly brilliant but in the land of the blind a one eyed man does have a distinct advantage...

this is why the labour are doing well because of this lie and the language used to trail it around and those little old blue rinse ladies do not like it
keep calling people s**t for long enough you might believe it but most reasonable people will just walk away
keep looking over your shoulder

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Evidence? What do you think they are going to do, just not turn up for the negotiations and say they can't be arsed?

The Tories have appointed a team of brexiters who will be fully focused on the difficult task of getting out of the EU. The Labour team are all remainers and they are quite likely to buckle when it comes to the hard bits. Also, Starmer gives me no confidence at all that he wants to negotiate a brexit that will be good for Britain. In fact I get the impression that he would like to punish us for the result.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
The Tories have appointed a team of brexiters who will be fully focused on the difficult task of getting out of the EU. The Labour team are all remainers and they are quite likely to buckle when it comes to the hard bits. Also, Starmer gives me no confidence at all that he wants to negotiate a brexit that will be good for Britain. In fact I get the impression that he would like to punish us for the result.
So you're saying Labour will deliberately negotiate a poor deal for their own country, on the basis of ..no evidence.

It's a little hard to take you seriously.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Lynton Crosby will be sure to get this campaign back to the 'lowest common denominator' and wheel out the 'strong and stable' line over and over, he's a master at this and has not been involved with many defeats.I think a lot of people are seeing through this now but whether enough do will remain to be seen.

Apart from seeing the Tories routed in Canada and totally misjudging the public mood in the London mayoral election recently

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Tories and Farron really going for Corbyn after his speech linking policy to terrorism. Shame Johnson has said exactly the same in the past, in print, as has Farron. Wankers.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Tories and Farron really going for Corbyn after his speech linking policy to terrorism. Shame Johnson has said exactly the same in the past, in print, as has Farron. Wankers.

This is what they have to do now. Theresa May called this election in order to gain a bigger majority but if (and its a big if) the polls are to be believed her majority could be cut. They have obviously benefited from the collapse in UKIP and some Lib Dems but perhaps this will not be enough.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Tories and Farron really going for Corbyn after his speech linking policy to terrorism. Shame Johnson has said exactly the same in the past, in print, as has Fallon. Wankers.

Indeed... It's ultimately Farron & Johnson who are using the recent attack to try gain a political advantage. Both desperate to score a point in whatever way possible. They have very little else to say or offer, so go for negative sensationalism.

Disgusting!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Of course they are. When Theresa May called the election Tories had a 24 point lead. Today it's just 5 points. Get ready for the vileness to come. All they've got left is attempted JC character assassinations.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Tories are going to win with a landslide. Anything less will be an embarrassment to them and possibly lead to more in-fighting than before she called for an election.

I see the right of centre 'Spectator' magazine have published an article today by Fraser Nelson entitled "Could Theresa May Blow This General Election?" and another by Rod Liddle entitled "This Is The Worst Tory Election Campaign Ever".

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I see the right of centre 'Spectator' magazine have published an article today by Fraser Nelson entitled "Could Theresa May Blow This General Election?" and another by Rod Liddle entitled "This Is The Worst Tory Election Campaign Ever".
I think they thought that with such a huge lead, they didn't have to do much. They took the electorate for fools, and it looks like they might pay the price.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I heard Corbyn today give a speech about security and I thought he spoke well, very well in fact.

On the other side, with Theresa May, I find myself waiting for the next "Strong and Stable" or "Coalition of Chaos" to drip from her witchlike mouth. She's nothing more than a political drinking game on legs.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I am torn between Labour/Tory's.

I want us to leave the EU/single market/have some control over immigration.

But at the same time JC comes across as a better speaker/more believable and anti-establishment, with not a lot of policies in his manifesto I'd disagree with.

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here