Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The economy

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The UK, and the wider 'developed' world, remains in trouble, in keeping with recent historically low growth rates. More particularly, the following long-term factors continue to be problematic:
-- no substantial long-term rise in productivity (which most economists identify as key to a growing economy)
-- wage growth has been negligible to poor for decades
-- debt levels are growing and, in the UK, are now back up to or even beyond what they were in 2007
-- major issues look as though they're going to play a growing role in the short- and long-term future, including climate change and other environmental factors (e.g. biodiversity loss), the rise of nationalism (e.g. Brexit) that at the very least raise questions about international trade treaties, a highly unstable international system (e.g. ISIS, the wider Middle East, Trump)

All of this points to further surprises in the political realm.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
and yet Sterling continues to strengthen. Go figure.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
The world will change for the better when we secure the championship title. ISIS start the next hippy movement. Trump only bombs countries with party drugs and trance albums. All nations eventually demand for one global government run by Tony bloom. Brighton becomes the capital of the new world.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
and yet Sterling continues to strengthen. Go figure.

Back up to 1.18 to the Euro and 1.29 USD, wow, that is nearly back up to September 2016 levels. 'Continues to strengthen' when you're still crawling around rock bottom, I guess any rise can be described as that.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Many years ago when I bought my holiday home in Turkey I got 2.3 lira to pound.i moved here in Septemberbecause of the weather and cheap cost of living . Today I got 4.5lira to the pound I can live like a lord on my pension,also it is 32 today, bit warmer than UK. Only drawback cant see Seagulls live or get Harveys

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I fell asleep while reading this thread and was waken by a nightmare of falling asleep in class during school. It was a horrible, horrible nightmare.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The UK, and the wider 'developed' world, remains in trouble, in keeping with recent historically low growth rates. More particularly, the following long-term factors continue to be problematic:
-- no substantial long-term rise in productivity (which most economists identify as key to a growing economy)
-- debt levels are growing and, in the UK, are now back up to or even beyond what they were in 2007
-- major issues look as though they're going to play a growing role in the short- and long-term future, including climate change and other environmental factors (e.g. biodiversity loss), the rise of nationalism (e.g. Brexit) that at the very least raise questions about international trade treaties, a highly unstable international system (e.g. ISIS, the wider Middle East, Trump)

All of this points to further surprises in the political realm.

Obviously a JCL / youngster!

Yeah, we're bang in trouble with double-digit inflation and interest rates of 15% + >3m unemployed and crap GDP - oops, that was the early 1980's ....

Right now, the economy is cushty compared to back then - get a grip man!
Int.JPG

emp.JPG

gdp.JPG

History suggests we're not doing so bad ...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Many years ago when I bought my holiday home in Turkey I got 2.3 lira to pound.i moved here in Septemberbecause of the weather and cheap cost of living . Today I got 4.5lira to the pound I can live like a lord on my pension,also it is 32 today, bit warmer than UK. Only drawback cant see Seagulls live or get Harveys

Only one of those is a drawback........

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Back up to 1.18 to the Euro and 1.29 USD, wow, that is nearly back up to September 2016 levels. 'Continues to strengthen' when you're still crawling around rock bottom, I guess any rise can be described as that.

Conveniently forgetting it was down at 1.11 in January I see. As someone who needs to change Sterling into Euros quite often I'd say it was strengthening. Not back to 1.40 yet but give it time.....

The country is clearly not falling apart post Brexit but let's continue to peddle the fact that it is.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

wildturkey101new175__04644__48754.1358534161.380.500.jpg

Cheers!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
-- major issues look as though they're going to play a growing role in the short- and long-term future, including climate change and other environmental factors (e.g. biodiversity loss), the rise of nationalism (e.g. Brexit) that at the very least raise questions about international trade treaties, a highly unstable international system (e.g. ISIS, the wider Middle East, Trump).

Oh gawd - more doom and gloom! And what's more, we're all a week closer to death than we were a week ago.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I've yet to see any difference, I go to the petrol station and it still costs me £20, has done for years.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Sure there is uncertainty. North Korea kicking off would send the markets into tailspin. There are longer term issues for advanced economies such as pensions, healthcare, ageing demographics as well as OP's factors.

There are economists out there who believe nemesis is just round the corner. Andy Haldane has predicted for some time. Try these cheery articles as a sample: http://thegreatrecession.info/blog/2017-economic-predictions/ and https://www.lombardiletter.com/upcoming-economic-recession-2017/7989/. They are US based but if US sneezes we all catch cold.

TBH, I have thought for the last nine months that Brexit is likely to be overtaken by events, It is not worth all the aggravation, time, hubris, political uncertainty etc etc but in the end I believe there are bigger factors out there that will become much more important. I am steadily divesting my share portfolio over next few months.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here