Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet is to blame for the clubs current position

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think what he means is that the way Poyet departed and Garcia appointed late that summer meant we lost momentum and have been stuttering ever since.

We sneaked into the play-offs in an easy division last year knowing we were nowhere near the quality of the top 3 and now we are struggling to get going.

While Gus was here we were moving forward nicely and the acrimonious split put paid to that.

I would probably agree with all that, though I think it's daft blame Poyet ENTIRELY for the acrimonious split and not anyone at the club at all, when we simply do not know what happened between Jan-March to make Poyet suddenly fall massively out of love with a job that was perfectly set up for him previously.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
By doing what? - spending £30 million, £40 million, £50 million..... on players with no guarentee of promotion? Whens enough and where do you draw the line? and you assume people at the club have this to actually spend in the first place?

You are aware that every season Gus overachieved compared to his budget? People get this idea that we were massive spenders but the accounts simply do not bear this out.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I said it at the time and nothing has yet happened to change my belief that:

Not doing more to keep Gus was one of the greatest mistakes in the history of the club.
What a load of rubbish...The man is a egotistic **** who wouldn't batter an eye lid if he was getting us more and more into debt..His football was dire and predictable far to often and thank god he's gone.If you want a manager who criticises the board and turns up late for a playoff semi final against your rivals then that sums you up.

Ridiculous

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You are aware that every season Gus overachieved compared to his budget? People get this idea that we were massive spenders but the accounts simply do not bear this out.
The club was on a crest of a wave and doing well was always going to happen moving to a new stadium...It was called the feel good factor.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Didn't Sunderland get to the cup final last season and beat Chelsea, Man U, City?

Yes, getting to the first final since 92 (other than play offs!) I thought he had a great first season and this year is well ahead of where we were last year points wise at this point, also not spent a huge amount on players

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

He spent c£18m, the 8th highest for the division so in that respect he overachieved, but to say that throwing several more million at the problem would have made any difference is pure guesswork and could have made no difference (other than to the clubs books)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Can't believe this thread.

Poyet is the best manager we have had for a long long time and his successors are proving what a good job he did.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Poyet was a good manager here, and it's a shame he departed the way he did, as he probably made the team play the best football they've played for a while. But unfortunately he was not going to stay here for ever because managers that overachieve, which he did in a few seasons, have ambition, and he definitely didn't shy away from showing that. Though if he had stayed I think we would still be in the championship.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can't believe this thread.

Poyet is the best manager we have had for a long long time and his successors are proving what a good job he did.

With a fraction of the budget and all the best players sold from under their noses. Exactly the opposite of what happened when Poyet was here.

Poyet did a great job but he was backed, the managers that followed him have been severely handicapped by transfer restrictions that Poyet would definitely have struggled with. Which is probably why he flounced.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Although we were always going to do well due to the feel good factor of the amex, which seems to have started to wear off

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
[yt]tVnhgIAA7jc[/yt]

This interview, following a defeat in the playoffs to our rivals, is why many of the fans have turned their back on Poyet. The disappointment of the loss was enough that day, without Poyet appearing to be looking for an exit from the club.

I understand the Brighton fans who applaud what he did for our club, but I also have empathy with the people who felt let down by him. Its not black and white.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
And teams like Woves in the past have had one of the highest budgets and have gone down. There is so much Poyet myth on this site it's a joke. He is a money manager, with a big ego, that the press laps up. What has he got on his cv??? One div 1 championship and a failed play off campaign, that's it. There a plenty of manager's ahead of Poyet, but because they don't all shoot off at the mouth, every chance they get people just dismiss them. Poyet isn't a patch on Pullis, Warnock, Dyche and many others.

You prefer Pulis & Warnock? Maybe you are supporting the wrong club?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
how long ago did he leave
please get over it
or can we find something very obscure to blame him for
jeez

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The club was on a crest of a wave and doing well was always going to happen moving to a new stadium...It was called the feel good factor.

I have no idea what that has to do with people saying Poyet spent loads when it's a proven fact that he didn't.

And it's well known that a lot of sides struggle to settle in at new stadiums, we were the exception not the rule.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I have no idea what that has to do with people saying Poyet spent loads when it's a proven fact that he didn't.

And it's well known that a lot of sides struggle to settle in at new stadiums, we were the exception not the rule.

Had Buckley not scored the 2 late goals against Doncaster (we had been fairly poor until then and probably only deserved a draw at best) who knows if we would have struggled to get our first win at our new home as the longer it goes on, the more of a monkey on our back it would have become and the psychological pressure would have increased too.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Aug 23, 2011

Although we were always going to do well due to the feel good factor of the amex, which seems to have started to wear off

Didn't arsenal and Southampton both struggle when they moved grounds? It's far from certain to improve performances.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Apart from them both playing yesterday?

Barnes played for Burnley yesterday as well
and some said he would never fit in when they got to the premier

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills