Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I've done it, i've reversed my diabetes

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
Hi all, especially those with type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 and half years ago. 9 months ago on my annual check up the diabetes nurse suggested I start to take statins. I said no I would look for an alternative, I read a lot and came across an article from Newcastle University which said a group of 11 people under medical supervision did 600 calories a day for 12 weeks using a powder similar to Slimfast meal replacements. 8 of the the people reversed their diabetes.

Later I found a 2nd study using the same meal replacement powders, this time Newcastle University increased the calories to 800, but only over 8 weeks, all subjects reversed their diabetes.

I decided to give it go after talking to my GP and started on 1st January 2018, as you can't really do it over Christmas, I did the powders for 3 days and decided it wasn't for me, so I just ate 800 calories per day (well most days) I've lost 2stone 5lbs.

I had my diabetes test yesterday, and today I had a call from my doctor who was really excited to tell me I had reversed the diabetes.

If anyone wants any info to help them or someone they know I'm here to help.

What a day, no diabetes and Albion 10th :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Early days yet....I was diagnosed 14 years ago and have slowly put things right with major diet change.... extreme intervention (like Atkins for weight loss) is not sustainable, so don't take it badly if it turns out to no be black and white in the present instance :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hi all, especially those with type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 and half years ago. 9 months ago on my annual check up the diabetes nurse suggested I start to take statins. I said no I would look for an alternative, I read a lot and came across an article from Newcastle University which said a group of 11 people under medical supervision did 600 calories a day for 12 weeks using a powder similar to Slimfast meal replacements. 8 of the the people reversed their diabetes.

Later I found a 2nd study using the same meal replacement powders, this time Newcastle University increased the calories to 800, but only over 8 weeks, all subjects reversed their diabetes.

I decided to give it go after talking to my GP and started on 1st January 2018, as you can't really do it over Christmas, I did the powders for 3 days and decided it wasn't for me, so I just ate 800 calories per day (well most days) I've lost 2stone 5lbs.

I had my diabetes test yesterday, and today I had a call from my doctor who was really excited to tell me I had reversed the diabetes.

If anyone wants any info to help them or someone they know I'm here to help.

What a day, no diabetes and Albion 10th :lolol:

Well done, I have heard that the 5:2 diet can have the same effect, especially if you don't go mad on the 5 days you are not fasting . ....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you reverse diabetes you might get setebaid.
Seriously tho well done.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Lucky bugger - I'm still cursed with Type 1 and have been now for 26 finger-pricking & injection stabbing years ....

You mentioned a low calorie diet - specifically for diabetics, it's not calories that are critical, its the carbohydrates.
So low or no carbs means low or no insulin requirements - which for type 2 diabetics is not a problem - for type 1's this simply doesn't work as the only insulin we get must be injected and if we stop taking any insulin, Keytoacidosis will quickly kill us.

So, I'm very envious ....

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Isn’t this remission?

I have type1 diabetes, and my doctor tells me there’s only one cure.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Massive well done to you. How the hell you can live off 600 calories a day god knows. I didn't think you could reverse diabetes. You learn something new everyday.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
This in response to Bens Grandads post

Hi, all I did was to try to stick to 800 calories a day. I bought some .
I've already persuaded 2 other people to give it a go, all three of us had a real problem on day 3, but we all got through it, one has been doing it for 4 weeks and has already lost 11kg. Yes he is very overweight.
The funny thing about all of this we seem to have eaten more, and more frequently. ***No pies at the AMEX has been a problem, its the smell***
If you fancy giving a go, try Slim Pasta or rice from Holland & Barrett 9cal per 100grams, make sure you wash it 4 times before cooking with it
Also Natvia sugar zero calories without that horrible after taste, only thing it was £2.80 for 300g, just gone up to £5, i've checked everywhere and its £5 everywhere. I hope this helps, if you want anymore info please feel free to ask.

D

Deleted member 2719

Fair play to you, great achievement. :bowdown::clap2::clap2:

Use this www.myfitnesspal.com

I was probably a stone over and now I am bang on my footballing weight some 20 years earlier.

1500 calories a day but I wound up the percentage of protein I was taking.

Don't feel hungry and I feel twenty years younger, I also have a Personal trainer to strengthen the bits that need it!

Keep up the great work.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
Massive well done to you. How the hell you can live off 600 calories a day god knows. I didn't think you could reverse diabetes. You learn something new everyday.

I knew I couldn't do 600 calories a day for 12 weeks, but when I saw 800 calories a day for 8 weeks I thought I would give it a go. I also had chocolate on my diet, Slimfast do a chocolate and caramel bar 99 calories, it tastes just like Curly Wurly when I was young.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Well done!
I did the same a couple of years ago. I ate very sensibly. Lots of veg, 3 good meals a day lots lots of weight and reversed it. But my blood sugar was only just in the diabetic range but the diabetic nurse told me it still made me diabetic. Been putting the weight back on though!

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
Well done! Might try this myself.

If you need any help or support I'm more than happy to advise you. Try and work out a time when you will not be tempted too much. Maybe after Easter, I found it good to know exactly when I would start it. I also wanted to finish by 8 March as it was my daughters birthday and I wanted to go to the restaurant. As it turned out I had my test yesterday morning, went out to the restaurant last night, went back on the diet today, and got the call this afternoon from the doctor.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here