Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we cheats?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He is we are and the only real part i disagree on is that the stadium plans looked suspiciously similar to now,just the finishing really,but scary to think about it.

Thinking back though we had just got planning and then the 2008 crash happened,and we were left with no ability to fund then out of the wood work came a certain TB...that's my recollection.

I think the outside of the stadium would have been broadly similar, but without TB we would not have had the padded seats, media facilities, player warm up areas, concourses and office areas equipped inside to anything like the same standard. The original budget was in the £50 million bracket, compared to the actual cost of nearly twice that. It still takes my breath away every time I see it.

In true TB style, I think he kept his cards close to his chest, didn't reveal the extent of his bankrolling of the club (until the final season at Withdean) and that gave the club an upper hand when negotiating with constructors for the stadium contract.

As well as that commitment, he's supported the managers too. Remember how giddy we were when Will Hoskins became our equal record signing just over five years ago, quickly followed by Will Buckley, for a million.

Today we are totally blase about million pound signings. In the last 15 months we have signed Murphy, Hemed, Uwe, Manu, Skalal and Knockaert for seven figure sums. Only two of them are regular starters, such is the strength of the squad. Yet we have lost only 7 games in 63 league matches. Compare that to Palace (yes we know which division they are in) who, despite spending a fortune in the last couple of windows have a record in 2016 of 5 wins 7 draws and 17 defeats in the league.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Indeed ... thus proving neither you nor Sussex Nomad can read ... or in your case spell. Nor can Sussex Nomad understand accounts .... he's yet to point out that he knows the difference between official business accounts and FFP accounts but that's because he's either stupid or a fisherman.

What's your stalk with me?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Another luvvie.
With respect, piss off. I'm an accountant and I've tried explaining the difference between capital costs and revenue expenses previously. But got bored with repeating myself.

Trying to position yourself as anti establishment and calling anyone who agrees with facts a "luvvie" or similar may have worked for Trump, but you're just making yourself look really, really silly.

It's not about taking sides, you're just wrong. About facts.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I got to page ten then had to skip to the end, has everyone got their understanding up to scratch?

I can't remember, but does it become a rolling £39m limit over three years, or will there be a new agreement from 19/20 onwards?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You seriously think I want us to fail? Seriously? You have no idea of me. I am just hauling back all those that call other clubs cheats because they overspend. We WILL overspend. But if we are in the Prem it doesn't really matter. But we should stop calling other clubs cheats when we overspend ourselves.

No but if someone proves me wrong I usually tend to hold my hands up and admit it - you didn't and made it worse by carrying on...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don't think he is or was,the opening thread included a question -Are we cheats? That question was made on the basis of our somewhat heavier than recent seasons loss,but FFP rules have changed and as El Pres has predicted as also a few others too,what with the new rules starting this season & the ability to expand the losses over 3 seasons,the OP was merely asking the question.....that's my take anyway.

And then kept going & going after being proved wrong :shrug:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What an embarrassing thread :lol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
A week or so ago Nomad you posted a heartfelt view about how well we had been doing and how you felt - nearly brought a tear to my eye :cry:

What the feck has today been about :moo:

I am an impassioned supporter, for some 43 years now. I didn't expect the 35 pages this made. It does all look a bit silly now. But I am also a stubborn old git. Quiet football day I guess, nothing wrong with getting a little fire going to keep us all warm. :wink:

What is tomorrows debate [MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION]?

Trump and the impact on young ladies.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Post #40 El pres says Sussex Nomad is talking nonsense, then in post #42 SN calls EP an idiot. Then this thread kicks off...Bizarre. But much more amusing than the stop funding hate thread.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Post #40 El pres says Sussex Nomad is talking nonsense, then in post #42 SN calls EP an idiot. Then this thread kicks off...Bizarre. But much more amusing than the stop funding hate thread.

:lol: I was wondering why this thread had got to 36 pages so took a look, read your post and rewound. Lovely stuff.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Actually [MENTION=5729]sir albion[/MENTION] (rightly) had it wrapped up on post 2..........(post 7) contained the words "who cares" and the OP even used the word "trawl" (post 9) who other than an commercial fisherman uses such a word as trawl? (oh hello [MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] did not see you there :jester: :kiss: ) now i am not suggesting anything other than to say that post 2 was the correct answer.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Ding ding... Seconds out... Round TWO! :catfight:

"Hark" old THPP nothing better to do on a sunday morning,than to throw wood on the the dying embers :lolol:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Indeed ... thus proving neither you nor Sussex Nomad can read ... or in your case spell. Nor can Sussex Nomad understand accounts .... he's yet to point out that he knows the difference between official business accounts and FFP accounts but that's because he's either stupid or a fisherman.

Bit silly mate, I was pointing out that you were the one that fired the first jibe, accepting it was pretty low level stuff, no big deal but you did, just as you have now.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Actually [MENTION=5729]sir albion[/MENTION] (rightly) had it wrapped up on post 2..........(post 7) contained the words "who cares" and the OP even used the word "trawl" (post 9) who other than an commercial fisherman uses such a word as trawl? (oh hello [MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] did not see you there :jester: :kiss: ) now i am not suggesting anything other than to say that post 2 was the correct answer.

Trawling the net? No? Ah well.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Bit silly mate, I was pointing out that you were the one that fired the first jibe, accepting it was pretty low level stuff, no big deal but you did, just as you have now.

I'm a big lad, I can handle the odd jibe or two from keyboard warriors :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here