Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Are you deliberately missing the point. We had a new stadium on the horizon, a new Chairman who was now backing the team with a larger wallet, everything being geared up to be a bigger club.

No but you seem to be, as does [MENTION=5729]sir albion[/MENTION]. You can try re-writing history if you want, but the fact is that when Poyet got here, we were in the same sort of position in league one as Hughton found us in the division above when he arrived. We were not riding the crest of a wave. In that third of a season, Poyet steered us to safety, and re-established El Abd's confidence. It was obvious to the board he knew what he was doing, so they backed him in the transfer market in the close season, and he repaid them in spades. We played fantastic football on the way to the title the very next season, then finished mid table, then could easily have gone up automatically the season after that - all under Poyet.

All of that is fact.

Sure, he was negative at times, he made a couple of poor marquee signings, and then lost the plot by believing he was too good for the club and that left a bitter taste. But really, I'd prefer to remember his era positively, and ignore his human shortcomings and consider that the current situation is simply chickens coming home to roost. I'll have a wry smile because of it, but it's not our loss, it's his. Meanwhile he gave us 3.5 years of mostly great memories and I'll remember him for that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry but that's nonsense. If money was the issue then not only was Poyet right about the ceiling but he was also right about the DoF's ability to ask for, secure and use correctly additional funding. Hughton has been strong enough to drive through the structural changes, secure a budget he was happy with and use it wisely. But he's done it collaboratively with Barber and Bloom, he hasn't had someone in the way.

and you know all of that for a fact, do you?
Are you actually saying Tony with held money from Burke because he didn't ask for it nicely?

Tony must have been pooping himself at the prospect of relegation.
The club lost so much money last season.

A la Poyet and his arrival, Hughton has rolled into Dodge at exactly the right time.
Tony wanted Championship football in his new stadium.
Tony wants Premier league football in his nearly new stadium.

Lessons have been learned along the way, and the obvious shift from the very top of the club down is a much needed boost.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
and you know all of that for a fact, do you?
Are you actually saying Tony with held money from Burke because he didn't ask for it nicely?

I'm saying any budget or strategy is negotiable.

A la Poyet and his arrival, Hughton has rolled into Dodge at exactly the right time.

Really? Second bottom with sod all points and a team that would lose to the Girl Guides is exactly the right time? :lolol:

Tony wanted Championship football in his new stadium.
Tony wants Premier league football in his nearly new stadium.

You pull me up for presumptions and then come up with that? How the heck do you know that for a fact?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm saying any budget or strategy is negotiable.
There's a huge difference between what was being spent and what was spent this summer.
I doubt those figures are within a negotiable framework, esp with Tony

Really? Second bottom with sod all points and a team that would lose to the Girl Guides is exactly the right time? :lolol: You pull me up for presumptions and then come up with that? How the heck do you know that for a fact?
Very true but I don't imagine Tony is prepared to flirt with relegation again.
So once survival was secured whoever the manager was, would have found themselves in exactly the right place at the right time.

Losing Burke would have been an added bonus.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The people who take the position 'eh, I don't care if he admits to having career ambitions away from the club, he'll only get to achieve them if he can prove to be successful here, so we'll get some success out him, he can move on and we'll be in a better position' are the needy ones?

What does that make the people who get angry because their manager talked about other clubs, that two and a half years after he's gone they're still upset about him not devoting every word out of his mouth to them?

Am I coming across as angry? I thought I was being quite calm :shrug:

If he'd praised what he had here as eloquently as he craved other jobs I might feel differently about him.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I like my football team. My football team did good football under poyet and they were doing really bad football before. That makes me happy when my football team do good football.

I don't care if the man making my football team good at football talks a bit, wears pants on his head, enters press conferences shouting "im a dog" or stands by the pitch the whole game trying to learn the whole of rappers delight.

I also like Chris Hughton because he makes us good at football as well.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He still had to fight a relegation battle before getting his own players in. The crest of the wave was 18 months later.

Jesus, are you deliberately missing the point. The club was in the ascendency in terms of what was happening off the pitch. Is that so hard to see? Yes, we had a relegation battle and fair play to him, we avoided that. He then had money to spend that no other Albion manager had ever had.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No but you seem to be, as does @sir albion. You can try re-writing history if you want, but the fact is that when Poyet got here, we were in the same sort of position in league one as Hughton found us in the division above when he arrived. We were not riding the crest of a wave. In that third of a season, Poyet steered us to safety, and re-established El Abd's confidence. It was obvious to the board he knew what he was doing, so they backed him in the transfer market in the close season, and he repaid them in spades. We played fantastic football on the way to the title the very next season, then finished mid table, then could easily have gone up automatically the season after that - all under Poyet.

All of that is fact.

Sure, he was negative at times, he made a couple of poor marquee signings, and then lost the plot by believing he was too good for the club and that left a bitter taste. But really, I'd prefer to remember his era positively, and ignore his human shortcomings and consider that the current situation is simply chickens coming home to roost. I'll have a wry smile because of it, but it's not our loss, it's his. Meanwhile he gave us 3.5 years of mostly great memories and I'll remember him for that.

No, the fact that you think it was fantastic is an opinion, not fact. You only want to remember the good times well, I'll remember both.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No, the fact that you think it was fantastic is an opinion, not fact. You only want to remember the good times well, I'll remember both.

You've not read his post properly.

He clearly states the negatives but says he he'd "prefer to remember his era positively" which is a completely fair opinion as an overall assesment. He has weighed up both and chooses to see the whole time as a positive one.

I imagine you have weighed up both and see it as negative.

Seems odd to argue it.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We've nearly hit the ceiling to be fair..

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Just to clarify, are you saying the football overall in our championship season wasn't fantastic?

You've not read his post properly.

He clearly states the negatives but says he he'd "prefer to remember his era positively" which is a completely fair opinion as an overall assesment. He has weighed up both and chooses to see the whole time as a positive one.

I imagine you have weighed up both and see it as negative.

Seems odd to argue it.
Correct. Sometimes it's just easier to argue against fact than to admit you are wrong.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Jesus, are you deliberately missing the point. The club was in the ascendency in terms of what was happening off the pitch. Is that so hard to see? Yes, we had a relegation battle and fair play to him, we avoided that. He then had money to spend that no other Albion manager had ever had.

The club was looking forward to the stadium, but was hardly in the ascendency. Ken Brown was managing director, making a mess of things, Bloom tried to bring a director of football, who left soon after because he couldn't settle, & money wasn't really spent for at least a year. The first 6 months of Poyet's tenure was made up of loans, apart from Calde & Brezovan.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I liked Gus a lot, when he was our manager. I went off him after the Palace game, and that whole "I didn't know they were going to sack me, despite being in a meeting with them all day" TV debacle. Now I don't really care what he does.

I am really enjoying the football we are playing this season and look forward to listening to the current manager's view of things. Chris Hughton just seems intelligent and normal.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Correct. Of the 7 promotions I've seen, it was probably the one that was the least exciting. That isn't fact of course, it is just my opinion.
One of the least exciting?

Going head to head with Southampton for the title? Not forgetting Huddersfield who had a much bigger budget than us. 8 straights wins in one month? That cracking game against Daggerham to seal promotion? The mind games with Adkins? That fabulous win at Peterboro where Johnson really bigged that game up. Who can forget that Carlisle mach at the Withdean?

I honestly believe you are talking utter shit now to try and rescue the nonsense you are dribbling on about.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I'm surprised he didn't walk into the Leeds job.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
One of the least exciting?

Going head to head with Southampton for the title? Not forgetting Huddersfield who had a much bigger budget than us. 8 straights wins in one month? That cracking game against Daggerham to seal promotion? The mind games with Adkins? That fabulous win at Peterboro where Johnson really bigged that game up. Who can forget that Carlisle mach at the Withdean?

I honestly believe you are talking utter shit now to try and rescue the nonsense you are dribbling on about.

How many promotions have you seen then?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here