Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10,000 dogs and puppies to be eaten on Sunday in China

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not so much the Chinese eating them, although it seems odd to us. Fine. It's the sniggering response " Fnarr, I don't like dogs, they're smelly and they poo, snigger". Very odd.

So those people mocking dogs are ignorant, yet no mention from you of [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] and his view that he would kill anyone he caught eating a dog, or that the Chinese are all scum?

To me, your lack of balance seems "very odd". Honestly, I thought better of you.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It isnt completely apparent that those posts are simple a response to "eating cows and rabbits is fine, but not dogs because dogs have big brown eyes, and wag their tails"?

Did anyone actually say this ? Show us. I think people like Nibble and others have made very valid arguments which seem to be ignored and misrepresented time after time. The thread is going round in circles now as the polar opposite views are too far to be breached. I do think there has been a fair bit of petty point scoring and put downs but this is NSC after all

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
...what if there were people that cared about both animals and children? I know, I know. You may say I'm a dreamer.
You've spectacularly missed the point. It's the passion that animal abuse seems to stir, as evident in this thread that doesn't seem to be present when child abuse is discussed.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So those people mocking dogs are ignorant, yet no mention from you of [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] and his view that he would kill anyone he caught eating a dog, or that the Chinese are all scum?

To me, your lack of balance seems "very odd". Honestly, I thought better of you.

If you have a problem with that take it up with him. I'm not as sure as to say I'dgo as far as to kill a mofo for chowing down on dog, but I wouldn't take too kindly to it in my presence.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

You take it all so literally. The kill comment was a figure of speech, the scum comment, well I stand by that, those who practice this Dog torture and killing festival, buying Ivory, tiger, rhino parts are scum and the Chinese record on animal rights and treatment, well I don't even have to justify that do I ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You've spectacularly missed the point. It's the passion that animal abuse seems to stir, as evident in this thread that doesn't seem to be present when child abuse is discussed.

No no, I got the point you thought you were making. This isn't a thread about child abuses. I think the hundred + page thread on historic sex abuse shows people do care just as much if not more. I think you are clutching at straws and bringing up wholly irrelevant points.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If you have a problem with that take it up with him. I'm not as sure as to say I'dgo as far as to kill a mofo for chowing down on dog, but I wouldn't take too kindly to it in my presence.
I did. He didn't want to debate it with anything remotely like a coherent point. He just weakly opted out.

And if you were on holiday in Korea, saw a dog being eaten, and didn't take kindly to it, well I'd say tough shit.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Well, War Dogs didn't/don't just have one role in war. They have been used to run messages in trenches, guard perimeters, run medical supplies across battlefields, attack dogs, Morale for troops, used as living bombs, and reluctantly, have been used as food for starving soldiers. They saved MANY lives in both world wars and countless other conflicts.

By that toke, if a PIG had once been used to carry a message to the trenches during WW1, say, then no-one should ever eat bacon again? I don't follow. After all horses also labour their hearts out for humans during wartime and peace, yet people eat them. In fact I'd quite like to - they look delicious. Especially National Hunt ones: plenty of meat on the bone.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I did. He didn't want to debate it with anything remotely like a coherent point. He just weakly opted out.

And if you were on holiday in Korea, saw a dog being eaten, and didn't take kindly to it, well I'd say tough shit.

Well quite. I don't think there would be a lot I could do about it without incurring the wrath of some toothless dog gobbler and a back alley meat cleaver incident which doesn't seem to be a nice way to end up. I'd probably be made into a stir fry.

This chicken is rubbery. Thanks, the chef will be pleased.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You take it all so literally. The kill comment was a figure of speech, the scum comment, well I stand by that, those who practice this Dog torture and killing festival, buying Ivory, tiger, rhino parts are scum and the Chinese record on animal rights and treatment, well I don't even have to justify that do I ?

OK, well you're the one using ill considered emotive language. Perhaps you should think about what you write? Or simply just temper what you say, or even back track slightly - I think that is braver and commands more respect than a silly rant that you're not consequently prepared to defend sensibly.
There's nothing "scum" about someone in an alien culture wishing to eat dog. I've already said I'd agree that animals shouldn't be tortured in the process of eating, but that sort of stuff goes on all over the world and regardless, ought to be a distant second to child welfare in terms of importance.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
OK, well you're the one using ill considered emotive language. Perhaps you should think about what you write? Or simply just temper what you say, or even back track slightly - I think that is braver and commands more respect than a silly rant that you're not consequently prepared to defend sensibly.
There's nothing "scum" about someone in an alien culture wishing to eat dog. I've already said I'd agree that animals shouldn't be tortured in the process of eating, but that sort of stuff goes on all over the world and regardless, ought to be a distant second to child welfare in terms of importance.

What about the Ivory trade , Tiger, Rhino body parts which will result in extinction of these species soon, too fuel the Chinese demand for trinkets and " medicines " is that ok ? I did mention this, twice now

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Please don't eat me x

cute-puppy.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What about the Ivory trade , Tiger, Rhino body parts which will result in extinction of these species soon, too fuel the Chinese demand for trinkets and " medicines " is that ok ? I did mention this, twice now

No it's not OK. It's dreadful. Of course China has been a country of uneducated peasants until the past decade or two, but as the Chinese become less insular and more educated, I suspect these dreadful practices will become less common.

Now I know you've mentioned it twice now, but I just fail to see the relevance of this to the subject of eating dogs?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think it's just at thread full of people who don't like dogs laughing at dogs being eaten. Fairs, Childish but fairs.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

I can't imagine anyone who has contributed to this thread disagreeing that the Ivory, tiger and rhino illegal trade should be outlawed. But it's got absolutely nothing to do with the consumption of dog or cat meat, it's merely a diversion from the topic under discussion. Plenty of posters have expressed a level of understanding that the eating of dog and cat meat is primarily a cultural difference so those who are venomously against it have started chucking other activities into the argument in some vain attempt to regain the moral ground that they thought they held. Bizzare.

As a side issue, I'm actually quite shocked at the level of casual racism displayed by several posters on this thread.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No-one laughed the first time Greg, doubt they will a second.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I can't imagine anyone who has contributed to this thread disagreeing that the Ivory, tiger and rhino illegal trade should be outlawed. But it's got absolutely nothing to do with the consumption of dog or cat meat, it's merely a diversion from the topic under discussion. Plenty of posters have expressed a level of understanding that the eating of dog and cat meat is primarily a cultural difference so those who are venomously against it have started chucking other activities into the argument in some vain attempt to regain the moral ground that they thought they held. Bizzare.

As a side issue, I'm actually quite shocked at the level of casual racism displayed by several posters on this thread.

Two thirty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here