Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] People you'd rather see as Foreign Secretary than Boris Johnson

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
If it is their choice to wear it, then they should be open to ridicule the same way as people wearing Crocs, or jeans below their arse get ridiculed.

If it is not their choice, then the ridicule should fall on the ideology that enforces it.

Very well put.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
I agree with Boris. There I have said it. Shoot me down.

I also think 90% of the country does as well. Brighton like London no longer reflects the country's opinion, as Brexit showed.

Personally I would rather my politicians said what they think rather than just come out with the normal political correct nonsense. That's why Trump is so popular in the US. Says what he thinks, does what he thinks, which is in marked contrast to most politicians. Our political system is crying out for that.

Exactly, and yes on reflection my 90% is high, but I suspect it is a very high proportion. At least two thirds, probably more.

I think that (fortunately), the above posts say an awful lot more about you and the company you keep than the opinions of the wider population of the UK.

Ironically that's what the prediction is for 2047. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-uk-could-triple-13m-following-record-influx/

When you think of the political and cultural clashes we currently have now. Can you imagine what the country will be like then? Far better to have these discussions now about how we want this to work rather than wait until then. Whilst people may not like the language that Boris is using I think the majority will be happy to see these discussions finally taking place in public rather than whispered in secret.

In nearly 30 years' time, the demographic more predisposed to mindless bigotry will be well outnumbered, so this isn't likely to be the issue you think it will.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I think that (fortunately), the above posts say an awful lot more about you and the company you keep than the opinions of the wider population of the UK.

In nearly 30 years' time, the demographic more predisposed to mindless bigotry will be well outnumbered, so this isn't likely to be the issue you think it will.

What company do you think I keep?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If it is their choice to wear it, then they should be open to ridicule the same way as people wearing Crocs, or jeans below their arse get ridiculed.

If it is not their choice, then the ridicule should fall on the ideology that enforces it.

Well I suppose it depends somewhat on the context. This is ridicule designed to denigrate, demean and divide, if not directly then at least indirectly; not just to pull someone's leg. If you want to have a sensible debate about the burqa as a supposed serious politician you don't start off by taking the piss.

He knew this when he wrote it and as a result I take him even less seriously.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unfortunately, those on the left of the political spectrum think they hold the moral high ground and any other opinion, or view, other than theirs is just wrong and in most cases outrageous. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

And those "not on the left" think that any sort of challenge to poorly worded (but published) articles shouldn't be allowed. Whatever happened to freedom of speech.

It's a shame because Boris was actually making a point that's been debated and / or acted upon in Denmark, France and other places and the gist of what he was saying was argualbly more liberal than the stance of those two nations. However, because he's been hamstrung by casual racism all his life ("flag waving picanninies") and because he wants to do anything for publicity so he can mount a challenge to May, he's worded it so poorly that reasonable debate has shifted from a Burqa Ban to his language. You seem to be the latest one falling for it, despite decrying the left.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
If not already said .... Mr Blobby would do a better job than any of the previous several ... or should I say couldn't do any worse... and the big political parties wonder why there is less and less interest in elections when they have these so called 'professional politicians' ... was much better when 'real people' stood for election rather than those choosing it as a profession

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Er. See if you can spot the difference.

One looks like a nice old Lady the other one looks like .... A black figure can`t even tell its sex !!

It may be hiding something under its clothing. So might the old Lady, but she looks harmless to me and if she sat next to me on the Bus or wherever I would feel comfortable and she is happy for all to see who she is unlike the other figure who I would not feel comfortable sitting next to at all.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
One looks like a nice old Lady the other one looks like .... A black figure can`t even tell its sex !!

It may be hiding something under its clothing. So might the old Lady, but she looks harmless to me and if she sat next to me on the Bus or wherever I would feel comfortable and she is happy for all to see who she is unlike the other figure who I would not feel comfortable sitting next to at all.

This says more about you than it does about the two women.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
This says more about you than it does about the two women.

Or basic human nature that he is naturally distrusting of someone covering their face. That's natural isn't it?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here