Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Jeremy K Hunt - Foreign Secretary

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'm no fan of Hunt.

But sometimes when you're thinking deeply about an issue and trying to engage in a conversation your mouth engages before your brain. Easy
mistake to make.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm no fan of Hunt.

But sometimes when you're thinking deeply about an issue and trying to engage in a conversation your mouth engages before your brain. Easy
mistake to make.

The Foreign Office is the head of the Diplomatic Corps. Engaging brain before mouth is the heart of diplomacy. He isn't up to the job.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Anyone else watch who dares win (before the lottery) when the Asian girl was asked about her marriage?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Best not to get uptight about this and all the other obsessive political chatter.

People, of the left and right, are allowing the media to set the agenda. For anyone here praying for a Corbyn government, the very same media people (way wider the Mail and Telegraph) will set out to pick about that government apart too.

The vast majority of national level polticians are honourable people doing their best for their constituents and nation, and being human, are imperfect.

Allow Kuennsberg & co to drive your view of the world, can only give a distorted view far removed from reality.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm no fan of the guy, but he just made a mistake, FFS!

Indeed, he called her Japanese, then quickly corrected himself and nipped it in the bud.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
What do you think of the increasingly noisy and influential element of the Labour membership who do hate Jews?

(Should you not reply, and ask me about bigotry in the Tory party, I wouldn't be able to answer as I'm not a member. But obviously I condemn that too. I'm a floating voter and proud of it. I do not envy lifelong embittered "I must hate Tories and anyone financially successful" types. Bitterness isn't good for the soul IMO).

Obviously, I can’t agree with any anti-semitism, even if it is spouted by members who I agree with in other matters. I have posted on here numerous times of my personal loathing of racism of any kind, and having grown up with three Asian foster siblings, I have seen a fair bit of it. I do believe that a lot, not all, of the antipathy towards Jews in the Labour Party is a hostile reaction to the Palestine situation, and, a certain amount of frustration at Israel’s policies. In an organisation numbering 1/2a million plus strong, there will be people with views on Jews who, if you’ll pardon the pun, are beyond the pail. My own view is these members, if found guilty of racism should be expelled from the party.

I wouldn’t bring up Tory Islamophobia as a mitigating factor, as I try not to indulge in ‘whataboutery ‘ cos my dear old Mum always said “ 2 wrongs don’t make a right”.
Even though your original post has a whataboutery whiff about it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Asians have an inferiority complex about westerners saying they all look alike. It was a HUGE mistake, especially when it was his own wife.

He's clearly not up to the job.

And yet they seemed to take it as an honest mistake – which he corrected almost immediately???

YES it was a huge mistake, but that alone DOESN'T mean he is 'clearly not up to the job', FFS!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm no fan of Hunt.

mistake to make.

He's in charge of our foreign policy. The kind of diplomacy that makes or breaks trade deals, can create or defuse international tensions or can even lead to conflict. Do you want someone who in an important conference meeting is capable of getting the nationality of his wife mixed up!?

Basically, if you're the type of person where this is an easy mistake to make, you shouldn't be in a top job. CEOs, leaders etc. get the top jobs because they don't generally make stupid mistakes. Although one thing going for Hunt is that many of these foreign diplomats have met our previous Foreign Secretary so may actually still see him as a step up.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
He made a slip up of words, so what. he clearly isn't racist, he is a married to a Chinese woman for goodness sakes. Completely ridiculous.

You don't have to hate all races other than your own to be a racist, how many times have you heard" I dont like P---s but i like Black people?"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And yet they seemed to take it as an honest mistake – which he corrected almost immediately???

YES it was a huge mistake, but that alone DOESN'T mean he is 'clearly not up to the job', FFS!

You think?

Look at his record with the NHS.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Obviously, I can’t agree with any anti-semitism, even if it is spouted by members who I agree with in other matters. I have posted on here numerous times of my personal loathing of racism of any kind, and having grown up with three Asian foster siblings, I have seen a fair bit of it. I do believe that a lot, not all, of the antipathy towards Jews in the Labour Party is a hostile reaction to the Palestine situation, and, a certain amount of frustration at Israel’s policies. In an organisation numbering 1/2a million plus strong, there will be people with views on Jews who, if you’ll pardon the pun, are beyond the pail. My own view is these members, if found guilty of racism should be expelled from the party.

I wouldn’t bring up Tory Islamophobia as a mitigating factor, as I try not to indulge in ‘whataboutery ‘ cos my dear old Mum always said “ 2 wrongs don’t make a right”.
Even though your original post has a whataboutery whiff about it.

I’m consistent in despising all racism, anti semitism, homophobia or the persecution/mistreatment of anyone who is ‘different’. That extends to people laughing at the disabled, autistic, Siamese twins, etc. I worked in a professional office where a group of young blokes, not bad people, found it amusing to take the P out of anyone with those needs. I thought it unfunny.

If Jews, Muslims, Asians are being attacked or feel fearful, polticians and the full force of the law must crush the perpetrators.

The hard left conflate Palestine with Jewish people, but their ILLEGAL anti semitism goes deeper than that, with their violent hatred of capitalism, the banking system and all things American lazily linked solely to Jews, driving their hate. What an irony that their bigotry mirrors those of right wing early anti-semitic French and German writers of the 19th century, then used by 20th century murderous fascists. Strange bedfellows.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
When will people realise the people in charge of us are idiots?!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Best not to get uptight about this and all the other obsessive political chatter.

People, of the left and right, are allowing the media to set the agenda. For anyone here praying for a Corbyn government, the very same media people (way wider the Mail and Telegraph) will set out to pick about that government apart too.

The vast majority of national level polticians are honourable people doing their best for their constituents and nation, and being human, are imperfect.

Allow Kuennsberg & co to drive your view of the world, can only give a distorted view far removed from reality.

I have to say I agree with all of that. Amusingly my ex-sister-in-law (?) who is a bit blinded by Momentum to say the least keeps trying to convince anyone who'll listen that Kuennsberg is an anti-Corbyn Tory stooge. Hilario.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The hard left conflate Palestine with Jewish people, but their ILLEGAL anti semitism goes deeper than that, with their violent hatred of capitalism, the banking system and all things American lazily linked solely to Jews, driving their hate. What an irony that their bigotry mirrors those of right wing early anti-semitic French and German writers of the 19th century, then used by 20th century murderous fascists. Strange bedfellows.

This, in a nutshell, is why I no longer support the Labour Party. I despise pretty much everything (though not all) the Tories stand for, but I can no longer support a party where the lot you describe have such a pervasive influence as they do now.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I can't believe people are saying it's a slip of the toungue, it's his wife FFS, in any situation you know where she is from.
My wife is from Sri Lanka, I have never mistakenly said or even thought that she is from India or Pakistan.
If you wife is English have you ever said she is Scotch or Welsh.
The man is a tool.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here