Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Net migration to the UK is estimated to have fallen by 29,000 to 244,000 in the year to last September, figures show.

It is the second set of data from the Office for National Statistics since the UK voted to leave the EU in 2016....

Meanwhile, 130,000 EU citizens left the UK, the highest number since 2008.

It is the first time EU net migration has fallen below 100,000 since the 12 months ending March 2013.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43154308

People who voted leave to reduce net immigration will be pleased.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Net migration to the UK is estimated to have fallen by 29,000 to 244,000 in the year to last September, figures show.

It is the second set of data from the Office for National Statistics since the UK voted to leave the EU in 2016....

It is the first time EU net migration has fallen below 100,000 since the 12 months ending March 2013.

It says a lot about you that since those figures were published this morning on immigration, you were only one to post them on this thread.

and with the fall in Sterling, The Eurozone crisis receding and The UK enjoying the slowest growth in The G7 for 2017, you can understand why.

Still, just the 144,000 above the Government target and non-EU net migration now up to 205,000 a year - Lovely stuff from The Home Office as always there - That's really #takebackcontrol :thumbsup:

Those immigration figures though and net EU migration down below 100,000 - Lets all have a disco. :rave:

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It remains the elephant in the room.

A strange paradox, most Brexiteers don't want a hard border with Ireland but want to secure our borders. No Brexiteer on here has come up with a solution, bar crashing out Mad Max style

If Brexit gets ditched it will be because of this

still making this claim? its simple: we'll have no border with the Republic of Ireland. if the EU wish to impose one from their side, thats their decision. this issue could always be a source of compromise not a source of conflict.

freedom of movement is not about physical restrictions at the border, but about what people are entitled to once the other side. agreement between RoI and UK existed before the EU and still stands.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A strange paradox, most Brexiteers don't want a hard border with Ireland but want to secure our borders. No Brexiteer on here has come up with a solution, bar crashing out Mad Max style

I just love the way you put words in people's mouths .....and then completely ignore what people have posted !

Where exactly does your data come from for this statement "most Brexiteers don't want a hard border with Ireland" ? I'm happy to consider one. Equally [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] pages and pages ago suggested a solution. I've even suggested one - a united Ireland - something that should have happened decades ago.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
United Ireland? Seriously? Yes, it should have happened centuries ago, but as it stands, a United Ireland would involve a civil war. Think thats probably too high a price to pay for blue passports.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
How opinion has shifted since the referendum

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/in...nion-on-brexit-has-moved-since-the-referendu/

DWk6bKwW0AggZPK-e1519290833352.jpeg

Biggest proportion by far of "Didn't vote" is young people who have turned 18 since.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It says a lot about you that since those figures were published this morning on immigration, you were only one to post them on this thread.

and with the fall in Sterling, The Eurozone crisis receding and The UK enjoying the slowest growth in The G7 for 2017, you can understand why.

Still, just the 144,000 above the Government target and non-EU net migration now up to 205,000 a year - Lovely stuff from The Home Office as always there - That's really #takebackcontrol :thumbsup:

Those immigration figures though and net EU migration down below 100,000 - Lets all have a disco. :rave:

I'll try and decipher that first sentence. Being the only person to post information and a link to a story means what specifically? I hope you're not one of those Dianne Abbott types who scream racism/fascist every time this issue is mentioned.

Yes, welcome news for those concerned about the rate of immigration (a majority of the UK public). It turns out you can get what you voted for after all.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
2017 growth confirmed lowest since 2012, what other western country can boast that stat?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

You mean that as the economic outlook gets worse, less people want to come here, without any changes to Government or Immigration rules and laws ? Well, who would have thought that :facepalm:

Maybe, If we can just find a way to tank the economy without all these other expenses of Brexit, all those that voted for less immigration could get what they voted for ???

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You mean that as the economic outlook gets worse, less people want to come here, without any changes to Government or Immigration rules and laws ? Well, who would have thought that :facepalm:

Maybe, If we can just find a way to tank the economy without all these other expenses of Brexit, all those that voted for less immigration could get what they voted for ???

Robust, continuous growth, rising wages, record employment, Uk living wage much, much higher than equivalent rate in many EU countries, job vacancies galore Why would anyone want to come here anymore :facepalm:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentan...ploymentandemployeetypes/timeseries/jp9z/unem

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I just love the way you put words in people's mouths .....and then completely ignore what people have posted !

Where exactly does your data come from for this statement "most Brexiteers don't want a hard border with Ireland" ? I'm happy to consider one. Equally [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] pages and pages ago suggested a solution. I've even suggested one - a united Ireland - something that should have happened decades ago.

I don't think breaking up the UK and starting a war in Ireland is an acceptable solution to Brexit. Very few people will agree with you, sorry

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Partly and partly because there is better economic growth and therefor better opportunities elsewhere in EU.

True in some respect but I would think the ability to earn the UK living wage (as a minimum) compared to their own countries paltry offering offsets any recent uptick in EU growth. How has the improved growth effected wages in Poland, Romania etc?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'll try and decipher that first sentence. Being the only person to post information and a link to a story means what specifically? I hope you're not one of those Dianne Abbott types who scream racism/fascist every time this issue is mentioned.

Yes, welcome news for those concerned about the rate of immigration (a majority of the UK public). It turns out you can get what you voted for after all.

I'll draw my own conclusions as to why a right-winger like you is so keen and eager to jump at these figures and hold up as some triumph of Brexit when they're far more by accident than design and non-EU migration is on the rise. As I say the fall the EU migration can also be attributed to the Eurozone crisis receding/improving economic outlook there, the fall in our currency against the Euro and slowest growth in the G7 - still tiny things and all that, so I understand your joy at the EU migration figures - so congratulations etc.

Still, it was a mistake of mine to engage in conversation about immigration with you in the first place, so I apologise. Careful with your knuckles as you drag them away/we'll leave it there, thanks

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
The thing is nobody knows what options we will end up with. The vote was 'we don't want this'. There was no definition of what the alternative was and no-one, least of all the posters on this thread, will know for a further 2 years what we are going to have as an alternative.

Here's a post from just after the referendum 18 months ago. I think I may try the lottery numbers this week :)

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
True in some respect but I would think the ability to earn the UK living wage (as a minimum) compared to their own countries paltry offering offsets any recent uptick in EU growth. How has the improved growth effected wages in Poland, Romania etc?

You started the discussion by pointing out that EU immigration to Britain is declining. I thought the discussion was about why immigrants are stopping coming to Britain and going elsewhere in the EU. You're now giving reasons why this shouldn't have happened.

Maybe you and BigGully can put something together about how well we are doing, to encourage the EU's brightest to come and pay their taxes here, because at the moment it seems they are not sold on how brilliantly we are doing, and are going elsewhere paying off someone else's pension :shrug:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Partly and partly because there is now better economic growth and therefor better opportunities elsewhere in EU.

Not to mention the GBP isn't exactly the best hard currency to be earning these days. Up turn in non-EU immigration from poorer countries though

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here