Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now I'm with proper footwear, I'm a bit more 'bothered' about my tyres. Bit of a nasty looking little gash, on the rear of course. If that goes wrong 20 miles from home, it'll be a champion funk up. I'd not even want to walk 30m+ on the Sls, let alone a half marathon. What would you fellas do if your tyre failed beyond repair apart from call the Mrs?
The roadside quick fix to a split tyre involves a bottle of fizzy pop.

You need to 'patch' the hole, so scour the verge for a discarded bottle, if you're not able to buy one.

Rip it apart, obviously the bigger the bottle the easier it is, put your 'patch' between the tube and tyre.
If you're feeling decadent you can even try sticking it in place with PRK patches and glue.

[MENTION=27939]Zukey Seagull[/MENTION] get the hint!!
If we all had helmet mounted cameras what do you think this thread would look like?

Oh and the new BBC Bespoke podcast is available.
Some interesting stuff on improving speed and performance, nothing ground breaking.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Cheers as ever [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]. I gave up on a MTB tube today. I might recycle that in part in conjunction with a plastic bottle piece. Will fit easy in the bag and will save me trying to cut a discarded bottle down to size, road side. Puts off shelling out for new tyres too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Slagter finished Wallone like a rocket & is 40/1 for Liege, I thought that was generous, even for Skybet.
£1.50 on the nose!!!

For comedy value I saved 50p for a Scheck, Frank @ 80/1, Andy @ 150/1, but couldn't go through with it.
So I plumped for the 250/1 young'un from Cannondale, Marcato.
Clearly he won't win, but I can't help thinking he will give me more value for my fifty pence, than a Schleckfest.

Rupert Murdoch will have trouble sleeping tonight.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers as ever [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]. I gave up on a MTB tube today. I might recycle that in part in conjunction with a plastic bottle piece. Will fit easy in the bag and will save me trying to cut a discarded bottle down to size, road side. Puts off shelling out for new tyres too.
Not for too long, I hope.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
While on this subject the name of which we dare not speak.

I was in 'frauds the other day picking up a couple of toobs.
Although I still didn't give it a full inspection they had a 'half price' Carrera for £269.00.
It certainly looked a very tidy bike. (at this point I figured I might as well link the bike)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_991927_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

Clearly not £599 but as a sub £300 bike it would seem very good value for money.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Slagter finished Wallone like a rocket & is 40/1 for Liege, I thought that was generous, even for Skybet.
£1.50 on the nose!!!

For comedy value I saved 50p for a Scheck, Frank @ 80/1, Andy @ 150/1, but couldn't go through with it.
So I plumped for the 250/1 young'un from Cannondale, Marcato.
Clearly he won't win, but I can't help thinking he will give me more value for my fifty pence, than a Schleckfest.

Rupert Murdoch will have trouble sleeping tonight.

I'm reluctant to jump back in as my luck has been poor lately and all the favourites are so short. If I had the confidence I'd put a tenner or something on Dan Martin @7/1 but don't really want to lose that amount.

Looking at the long odds for small change value - I'm half tempted for a little e/w on Kolobnev at 150/1 just for added excitement. He was looking lively in the break at Amstel Gold and has some decent previous in LBL.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Talking of gashes in tyres.

Remember back in the day when we used to play football with those super light plastic WEMBLEY balls that you could bend like Roberto Carlos? (at least if you could have seen into the future then it would have been Roberto Carlos). Remember when they used to get a puncture, and you'd nip indoors, turn on the gas cooker, heat up a knife and melt over the split in the ball to fix it? Worked a treat! :)

Anyway...anyone ever tried, or thought of trying, this fix on a bike tyre gash? I'm half tempted to give it a go.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Talking of gashes in tyres.

Remember back in the day when we used to play football with those super light plastic WEMBLEY balls that you could bend like Roberto Carlos? (at least if you could have seen into the future then it would have been Roberto Carlos). Remember when they used to get a puncture, and you'd nip indoors, turn on the gas cooker, heat up a knife and melt over the split in the ball to fix it? Worked a treat! :)

Anyway...anyone ever tried, or thought of trying, this fix on a bike tyre gash? I'm half tempted to give it a go.

I love a bodge. I'm now thinking nick a bit of rubber, a tiny bit mind, from a funked tyre then place it in gash (oo err Mrs) and activate the electronic gas lighter. What could possibly go wrong?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I love a bodge. I'm now thinking nick a bit of rubber, a tiny bit mind, from a funked tyre then place it in gash (oo err Mrs) and activate the electronic gas lighter. What could possibly go wrong?

Bodge it and legit may be very well for all manner of things, but if you're going downhill and the bodge comes undone there may not be much of you left to contemplate the legit bit of the equation.

I'm having this post as my official disclaimer so I'm fully covered :)

Mind you, if I can source a decent camera mount for a helmet, introduce you to a third party and bag the exclusive rights for the footage... Harry Hill might just send me the cheque and he can add any quip he likes to it as I invest the spoils in several pairs of new tyres for myself. There's nothing quite like a bit of imaginative free enterprise - it's what any decent citizen would do in 2014's GREAT Britain :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thought I'd have a look into this Strava business and the apps I've been using.

Discovered that both Sports Tracker and Endomondo allow me to export to Strava. So in the interests of sociability, I've joined Strava and the Geeks group too.

Uploaded three recent(ish) rides so far. Over time I might go back over all my Endomondo rides and get around to uploading them too.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=27939]Zukey Seagull[/MENTION], the mount will set you back about £15. I'd try your LBS first, or if you are in a bodging mood, check out youtube for 'How to make a bicycle helmet mount' etc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=27939]Zukey Seagull[/MENTION], the mount will set you back about £15. I'd try your LBS first, or if you are in a bodging mood, check out youtube for 'How to make a bicycle helmet mount' etc.
so let that be an end to this madness :lolol: :kiss:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Looking at that NSC Geeks club on Strava...whatever happened to @Woodchip? I know he moved to the other side of the world and all, but they do cycle there. I mean, Jack Bauer!

And @Jay Cartwright. Did he stop cycling?
I'm still alive. We've just had one of the worst summers on record. At one point we have 2 inches of rain in 2 hours. Not the sort of weather to try and regain my fitness. lol

Trying to keep up with cycling is really difficult when it's all at silly times and no coverage on TV.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm still alive. We've just had one of the worst summers on record. At one point we have 2 inches of rain in 2 hours. Not the sort of weather to try and regain my fitness. lol

Trying to keep up with cycling is really difficult when it's all at silly times and no coverage on TV.

:clap2: He's back, let's not let him go, this time :bowdown:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'm reluctant to jump back in as my luck has been poor lately and all the favourites are so short. If I had the confidence I'd put a tenner or something on Dan Martin @7/1 but don't really want to lose that amount.

Looking at the long odds for small change value - I'm half tempted for a little e/w on Kolobnev at 150/1 just for added excitement. He was looking lively in the break at Amstel Gold and has some decent previous in LBL.

I've gone for small stakes e/w on:

Kwiatkowski 15-1, Froome 25-1 and Bardet 50-1

Won't be watching live today unfortunately. Will try and catch a rerun at some point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Spring Classics were all about Cancellara and Quickstep.
Even without Boonan's personal tragedy OPQS still had the strongest team and probably should have won more.
Cancellara has podiumed the last 12 Classics he's raced.

Ardennes is looking a little more competitive, although still no 'wild card' has popped up to win.

The Giro field is looking a little lite.
I predict 3 weeks of [MENTION=4800]Tyrone Biggums[/MENTION] baiting over Cadel (all in the best possible taste) until Quintana takes the jersey off him.

The Tour with Froome, Nibs, and booooo Contador looks like it could be a battle royale with 3 very strong teams.

We've sold a few bikes.
A couple of us are back on the road.
Zukey wants a helmet mount.
The club had horrendous cycling jerseys for sale.
Strava is picking up.
We're still left alone by the rest of NSC, we had a pet tosser jaguar something but he got bored and left.
1066 had a massive comedy Fantasy Cycling meltdown.
Our 'knowledge' has won some money, but probably lost more.
Moto carelessly lost his dangley bits, but I believe they are back in place now.

Last edited:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Quintana is 24?!?!? He looks about 70!!!!!!!

Nairo_Quintana%2C_Vuelta_al_Pais_Vasco_2013_%28cropped%29.jpg

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What have I missed in the classics then? Who's looking a hot favourite for the Giro (apart from The Mouldy Steak)?

Paris-Roubaix, which I always love over and above the other Spring Classics, was the best that I can remember it being this year, with an elite group of 11 hurtling towards the finish and still together with 10 to go. Then Nicky Terpstra TTd to the end while the others looked at each other. G and Wiggo both in the top ten. Cancellara podiumed...

I agree with Stat that Quintana looks ready to win a big one, but think that Purito and, hopefully, Dan Martin will run him close. Cadel will drop off early in this one, mark my words...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here