Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Ah, that is where my system fell down. I got used to only carrying a shirt as I have trousers which live at work. However, when I went to our London office I again only carried a shirt, forgetting that I leave nothing in that office!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Gutted that I wiped out pretty badly on Friday afternoon. Thought I would take a quick spin at lunchtime, but ended up going over the bars & spending the afternoon in A&E. Had to have an ECG to make sure there was nothing more serious going on, but thankfully looks like I've just cracked my ribs. Really frustrated that I cant get out now with all this glorious weather....
To make matters worse, my chain-stay snapped too, and had to walk back to work in absolute agony while pushing the bike.....Friday really wasn't a good day.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Gutted that I wiped out pretty badly on Friday afternoon. Thought I would take a quick spin at lunchtime, but ended up going over the bars & spending the afternoon in A&E. Had to have an ECG to make sure there was nothing more serious going on, but thankfully looks like I've just cracked my ribs. Really frustrated that I cant get out now with all this glorious weather....
To make matters worse, my chain-stay snapped too, and had to walk back to work in absolute agony while pushing the bike.....Friday really wasn't a good day.

Ribs are an arse to get over. Take it easy.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Oh God, nasty stuff. Look after yourself.

I also came off, over my bars on Friday, but had a soft landing, luckily. A bit bruised, but hey ho.

Don't drink and ride, folks.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The great HH bike ride raised £14,000 for 3 local charities and individual riders raised money for there own charities
Next year's date is 15th April 2018 please put it in your diary.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Apologies if this is automatic for everyone, or just plain old news.

The Relive ride map has appeared on my Strava ride overview.

The maps seem to have been updated and look great.
If they aren't on everybodies I suggest you sign into https://www.relive.cc/ and connect it too Strava.

While on the subject of plug-ins, it'll not rude to mention https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...strava/dhiaggccakkgdfcadnklkbljcgicpckn?hl=en for anyone new to Strava, and who run it through Chrome.

And finally those of us who enjoy the always excellent Cycling Podcast their TdF fantasy league is velogames: 814885126

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Can I tap your brains please SB with a few questions?

1) CAPS - Any plans to order a batch of those truly excellent NSC caps again? I still wear mine all year round and it's still the best bit of kit I have. Not overly hot in the Summer and keeps the sun off my eyes. Plenty warm enough in the winter and helps keep some rain off of my specs. I'd snap another one up if you were to do an order again.

2) WHEELS - My old Scirocco wheels on my winter hack/commuter are getting well past their sell by date and I'm due an upgrade. I'm thinking of steeping up on the Zondas I have on my Summer bike as eventually I'd like to upgrade my winter bike by buying a second hand titanium frame. Was this the wheel company you got your wheels from? https://www.huntbikewheels.com
So far I've looked at something like Campag Neutrons or even second hand Shamal Ultras and wondered how yours compare in terms of value for money? Any particular recommendations?
I want clincher only (no intention of using tubeless so don't want 2 way fit), campag fit, certainly no carbon braking surface (rim brake as no intention to go to disc brakes), something reasonably light and best suited for climbing. Possibly wider rims as will finally move over to 25mm tyres from 23's....which leads me to...

3) TYRES - When I move away from 23's I also fancy a change from the Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps I've always used up until now. What's a good all rounder for decent rolling resistance and puncture proof? All year round jobbies please.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can I tap your brains please SB with a few questions?

1) CAPS - Any plans to order a batch of those truly excellent NSC caps again? I still wear mine all year round and it's still the best bit of kit I have. Not overly hot in the Summer and keeps the sun off my eyes. Plenty warm enough in the winter and helps keep some rain off of my specs. I'd snap another one up if you were to do an order again.

2) WHEELS - My old Scirocco wheels on my winter hack/commuter are getting well past their sell by date and I'm due an upgrade. I'm thinking of steeping up on the Zondas I have on my Summer bike as eventually I'd like to upgrade my winter bike by buying a second hand titanium frame. Was this the wheel company you got your wheels from? https://www.huntbikewheels.com
So far I've looked at something like Campag Neutrons or even second hand Shamal Ultras and wondered how yours compare in terms of value for money? Any particular recommendations?
I want clincher only (no intention of using tubeless so don't want 2 way fit), campag fit, certainly no carbon braking surface (rim brake as no intention to go to disc brakes), something reasonably light and best suited for climbing. Possibly wider rims as will finally move over to 25mm tyres from 23's....which leads me to...

3) TYRES - When I move away from 23's I also fancy a change from the Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps I've always used up until now. What's a good all rounder for decent rolling resistance and puncture proof? All year round jobbies please.

Not sure you can beat a set of Gatorskins for all round and puncture resistant. Although I got some Rubino Pro's after a recommendation from [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], and they've been good too, perhaps slightly better rolling than the Gatorskin, although I'd chose the skins over the Rubino for winter riding.

I keep meaning to get a set of those Hunt wheels!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not sure you can beat a set of Gatorskins for all round and puncture resistant. Although I got some Rubino Pro's after a recommendation from [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], and they've been good too, perhaps slightly better rolling than the Gatorskin, although I'd chose the skins over the Rubino for winter riding.

I keep meaning to get a set of those Hunt wheels!

Thanks, will look into those.

Since my original post I've been having a look around the Hunt Wheels site and searching out reviews. Everything I'm reading sounds fantastic and great value for money. Pretty sure it's Hunt that SB has been riding so very keen to hear what he has to say from 1st hand experience.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1 - Nope :lol:

2 - I fookin loves my now year old Hunt wheels.
Chainreaction have Neutrons £150 more than my Hunts https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...season-aero-road-wheelset-1420g-28deep-22wide there's absolutely no way the Campags are £150 better.

The other day I gently spun the front wheel, but couldn't wait long enough for it to stop rotating.

When researching custom wheels, I seem to remember a builder close to you, Hastings or Eastbourne, that very nearly got my money.
I don't know if those are built on site, as Hunt's are handbuilt in the Far East, but they might be worth a look.

Hunt wheels can go clincher or tubeless, as yet I'm not brave enough for tubeless.

I currently have Vittoria Rubino slick tyres on them, £15 a tyre, never a problem, although as you'd expect with a slick tyre they aren't too happy when I do something stupid.
(Thursday I descended to the second left off Brittens Lane ( [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] will know exactly what I'm about to say next) carrying far to much speed into the left turn I hoped there wouldn't be a car coming the other way, as I needed to whole road
There was.
Locked up which tail-whipped the back out causing me to pass the car on it's inside, on the grass verge - I had a mild case of Tourettes :lol: :facepalm: )

Anyhoo on my winter bike I have Schwalbe Durano's.
All being well I'll soon be buying a pair of Hunt wheels for that bike too.

The Fulcrum Racing SeventySeven wheels that came with the bike feel square by comparison.
(as they should being an entry level disc wheel)

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
The other day I gently spun the front wheel, but couldn't wait long enough for it to stop rotating.

I currently have Vittoria Rubino slick tyres on them, £15 a tyre, never a problem, although as you'd expect with a slick tyre they aren't too happy when I do something stupid.
(Thursday I descended to the second left off Brittens Lane ( [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] will know exactly what I'm about to say next) carrying far to much speed into the left turn I hoped there wouldn't be a car coming the other way, as I needed to whole road
There was.
Locked up which tail-whipped the back out causing me to pass the car on it's inside, on the grass verge - I had a mild case of Tourettes :lol: :facepalm: )

Lucky boy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here