Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia has had ENOUGH and wants OUT !!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Chris Hughton and his coaching team have seen him in training for nearly a year.

If he was demonstrating that he could make a decent contribution, Hughton would be playing him more. He'd be playing him with Murray as per his quote, and/or he'd be pulling Murray off on 60 minutes and letting Locadia loose.

He hasn't done that though, has he?

This can only really mean that, in training, Locadia has not shown he can not do the job that Hughton want him to do, or

Hughton is wrong and should be playing him more.

Great post, I feel the same. If Locadia had shown himself ready in training, he would've replaced Muzza on 70 minutes in a stack of a games. With no need to change (the much slagged off) 4-5-1. I don't think we can accuse CH of being a poor manager or in carrying blinkered vendettas towards some players (Mourinho), so his professional judgement can only be that Locadia isn't ready yet.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Denis Berkamp was considered to be a failure when he first started at Arsenal. Didn't turn out too bad once he had a run of games.

Glenn Murray's first season at Selhurst was hugely underwhelming, and many of their fans (who conveniently forget this now) would have been quite happy to see him shipped out the following summer. I seem to recall there was some talk of him returning to the Albion then, only for the other player in a part exchange deal (I forget who) to get injured in training and scupper it. Needless to say, he turned things around in his second season, dammit, and things have generally looked up for him ever since.

I'm not saying Locadia is suddenly going to surprise us all of course. The odd thing for me is, in his first couple of games after he arrived, I remember thinking he looked like one of those players who had the knack of being in the right place all the time. Got a couple of goals, and missed a load more (but he was in the right place to get the chances, was the key thing).

Whenever I've seen him since, he's just looked off the pace. I'm not sure it's that he's lazy: it's just that his football brain doesn't quite seem to be working at the same speed as the game is going on around him. Whether that's what they call "match fitness", who knows. But it doesn't seem like he's done enough off the pitch to be forcing Hughton to give him a chance.

Oh, and this "why can't we sign decent strikers?" argument. Which Premier League team- at our level- can? Unless you're a top six side with the money and status to attract the world's best, then the rest of us will always be struggling to attract prolific goalscorers, precisely because they are so in-demand and thus vastly expensive. Wolves have loads of money but have struggled to score goals. Huddersfield's collection of strikers wouldn't get in half the teams in the Championship. Fulham have Mitrovic, but he's inconsistent (hence he plays for Fulham) and has lost form. Leicester struck gold with Vardy a few seasons back, but don't have any other prolific front men. Cardiff: nope. Newcastle generally couldn't score in a brothel. Watford have relied on bargains, but none of them are going to be winning the Golden Boot any time soon. Plucky AFCB signed their main striker from a League Two side when they were in the Championship. Even looking up to a club like Everton: they don't have a modern day Gary Lineker. Palace are living proof of what £30m and £120/wk gets you now (probably about the same number of goals in the last twelve months as Locadia, in fact), whilst Sørloth plays like Aaron Wilbraham with a blindfold on.

In short, clubs like us find a 30 goal striker at this level once in a blue moon. That's not a reflection on the scouting set-up, it's just the way it is.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Glenn Murray's first season at Selhurst was hugely underwhelming, and many of their fans (who conveniently forget this now) would have been quite happy to see him shipped out the following summer. I seem to recall there was some talk of him returning to the Albion then, only for the other player in a part exchange deal (I forget who) to get injured in training and scupper it. Needless to say, he turned things around in his second season, dammit, and things have generally looked up for him ever since.

I'm not saying Locadia is suddenly going to surprise us all of course. The odd thing for me is, in his first couple of games after he arrived, I remember thinking he looked like one of those players who had the knack of being in the right place all the time. Got a couple of goals, and missed a load more (but he was in the right place to get the chances, was the key thing).

Whenever I've seen him since, he's just looked off the pace. I'm not sure it's that he's lazy: it's just that his football brain doesn't quite seem to be working at the same speed as the game is going on around him. Whether that's what they call "match fitness", who knows. But it doesn't seem like he's done enough off the pitch to be forcing Hughton to give him a chance.

Oh, and this "why can't we sign decent strikers?" argument. Which Premier League team- at our level- can? Unless you're a top six side with the money and status to attract the world's best, then the rest of us will always be struggling to attract prolific goalscorers, precisely because they are so in-demand and thus vastly expensive. Wolves have loads of money but have struggled to score goals. Huddersfield's collection of strikers wouldn't get in half the teams in the Championship. Fulham have Mitrovic, but he's inconsistent (hence he plays for Fulham) and has lost form. Leicester struck gold with Vardy a few seasons back, but don't have any other prolific front men. Cardiff: nope. Newcastle generally couldn't score in a brothel. Watford have relied on bargains, but none of them are going to be winning the Golden Boot any time soon. Plucky AFCB signed their main striker from a League Two side when they were in the Championship. Even looking up to a club like Everton: they don't have a modern day Gary Lineker. Palace are living proof of what £30m and £120/wk gets you now (probably about the same number of goals in the last twelve months as Locadia, in fact), whilst Sørloth plays like Aaron Wilbraham with a blindfold on.

In short, clubs like us find a 30 goal striker at this level once in a blue moon. That's not a reflection on the scouting set-up, it's just the way it is.

Now you're introducing logic, research and common sense into the argument. Someone's always got to spoil it ...

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Maybe we have our 30 goal striker and he hasn't cost a bean. Needs to be given a chance however. Time will tell

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Totally agree with Locadia.

He’s never going to get a game unless Murray blows his cruciates again and he’s watching his career slide through his fingers. We will make a loss if we sell so send him on loan to Fulham or someone similar....then we can get Dominic Solanke from LFC on loan and kill two birds with one well aimed stone.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ricky Van Wolfswinkel was another expensive player who Hughton wasted millions on as well. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to question his ability in signing strikers but criticising anything Hughton does is a no no for some on here. Defenders, wingers, midfielders and keepers yes, he has a great record but strikers not so good. It’s worth discussing imo and just blaming the striker is a bit one sided imo.
If you knew the facts on the RVW transfer you wouldn't make such a comment. Ricky is a great striker but Norwich Chief Exec was warned he wasn't worth that amount of money. However because Man United and Everton were sniffing around him at the time they went out on a limb and paid up front

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you knew the facts on the RVW transfer you wouldn't make such a comment. Ricky is a great striker but Norwich Chief Exec was warned he wasn't worth that amount of money. However because Man United and Everton were sniffing around him at the time they went out on a limb and paid up front

Which just shows that Everton and MU knew what they were doing, eh? Pull out of negotiations at the right time.

Mind you, it's a shame he got away with changing his name to Locadia, without anyone noticing.................................

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You can, but it was also one of my suggestions: Locadia has not shown he can not do the job that Hughton want him to do.

I'm all for giving Locadia a chance and seeing what he can do, but if Hughton & Co see something they're not happy with, then why did Albion buy him.
Somebody must've seen something positive in him.
I don't agree about him whining to some Dutch rag about non game time, he should just knuckle down and wait his turn.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From the bbc website re tomorrows match

Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton on Jurgen Locadia indicating to Dutch media he could look for a January move: "There's no doubt that the comments he made or what he thinks was taken out of proportion.

"That doesn't escape the fact that he would like to play more. I have no problem with his views. The most important thing is he is very motivated to play here."

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...

Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton on Jurgen Locadia indicating to Dutch media he could look for a January move: "There's no doubt that the comments he made or what he thinks was taken out of proportion.

"That doesn't escape the fact that he would like to play more. I have no problem with his views. The most important thing is he is very motivated to play here."

I'm sure he said something very similar about another player who wanted out, was it Manu? That ended well...

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Would he dislodge Connolly and Gyokeres?
Don't think so.
That's a point though......perhaps someone could start a thread, how many goals would Locadia have scored for the U23's if he had similar game time to Connolly? IMO Connolly would probably struggled to score as many as Locadia with his first team minutes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
CH and the club are not going to play a childish tit-for-tat game of comments with Locadia. When Mourinho goes down that particular road, it harms his club. At the end of the day the Albion are protecting any future resale value as best they can and Locadia might yet prove useful to CH.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I'm all for giving Locadia a chance and seeing what he can do, but if Hughton & Co see something they're not happy with, then why did Albion buy him.
Somebody must've seen something positive in him.
I don't agree about him whining to some Dutch rag about non game time, he should just knuckle down and wait his turn.

Sport doesn't do 'turns'. It does 'best player with resources you have'. JL is nowhere near best resource and he knows it.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

"No, they weren't. Bleeding obvious. OK, so what are you going to do. Yeah, right".

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Would he dislodge Connolly and Gyokeres?
Don't think so.
He could try, but he'd probably fall over his feet or be caught offside [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's a point though......perhaps someone could start a thread, how many goals would Locadia have scored for the U23's if he had similar game time to Connolly? IMO Connolly would probably struggled to score as many as Locadia with his first team minutes.
And your evidence is.........?

He could try, but he'd probably fall over his feet or be caught offside.
Not a lot of evidence for this either, but an equally valid opinion.

We'll only know when talented youngsters are given a few minutes a few times to make their mark. No harm in putting one on the bench; if you want to be extra cautious, only let them on for ten or fifteen minutes when it's very unlikely to affect he result (i.e. when we're two or three goals up OR two or tree goals down).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
And your evidence is.........?

Not a lot of evidence for this either, but an equally valid opinion.

We'll only know when talented youngsters are given a few minutes a few times to make their mark. No harm in putting one on the bench; if you want to be extra cautious, only let them on for ten or fifteen minutes when it's very unlikely to affect he result (i.e. when we're two or three goals up OR two or tree goals down).

I was joking (and meant dislodge as in a physical sense), based purely on the facts that he once fell over the ball and has been caught offside a few times. A very lazy gag, admittedly :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here