Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man City - Rotten to the core?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The fans still have a lot of power, even against oligarchs or corporate giants. Most owners are in it for ego or as part of their wider business interests and they don't want to be embarrassed. Cardiff fans forced Tan to give in about the shirt colours. It can be done.. The reason why fans appear powerless is most supporters turn a blind eye whilst there is success on the pitch and only protest after they start losing. This is sad, but not inevitable. Brighton is a progressive place and we're a club with a proud history of mobilising and standing together and a good knowledge of the difference between a good owner and a bad one. If someone rich owner promised us £500M of blood money for players I think more would stand up against this than at most clubs

I agree with you that, if it happened now, it would be met with protest. I personally think this would happen for any club of similar stature to us. However, if we became a global superpower and had a guaranteed place in the European Super League, the hardcore fanbase is so small in comparison to the global appeal, that our voices wouldn't matter.

A more pertinent example perhaps would be Manchester United and the formation of FC United of Manchester. The dissatisfied fans couldn't fight a beast that large so said screw it, and started fresh in the image that they thought best represented why they supported Manure in the first place.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I agree with you that, if it happened now, it would be met with protest. I personally think this would happen for any club of similar stature to us. However, if we became a global superpower and had a guaranteed place in the European Super League, the hardcore fanbase is so small in comparison to the global appeal, that our voices wouldn't matter.

A more pertinent example perhaps would be Manchester United and the formation of FC United of Manchester. The dissatisfied fans couldn't fight a beast that large so said screw it, and started fresh in the image that they thought best represented why they supported Manure in the first place.

Maybe mate. Hopefully the thought of thousands of angry Albion fans marching through a suburb in Moscow or Dubai and hammering on their front door or corporate office in NY might concentrate their minds before the sale of the club went through.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
No-one is bigger than the club, however I think Bloom is here for the long haul --- unless someone can do better and proves to him so , however at the worst I have followed us under Archer --at Gillingham etc .
You only have to look at the geordies they don't like their owner but cant keep away !
Its easier said than done to just drop our club............ wifes come and go , jobs change but UP THE ALBION

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Why is anyone surprised that Arabs are cheats and liars ?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Any of these oligarch, sheik types don’t get THAT rich without some foul play, you’d be a naive fan to think otherwise but as others said, generally people don’t care as long as they’re ‘winning’. Amazing what things people will turn a blind eye to providing wealth is generated and they benefit.

Few people get significantly rich without some foul play somewhere along the line - it’s not exclusive to oligarchs and sheiks. Once was the day that football directors made money out of footballers.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Any of these oligarch, sheik types don’t get THAT rich without some foul play, you’d be a naive fan to think otherwise but as others said, generally people don’t care as long as they’re ‘winning’. Amazing what things people will turn a blind eye to providing wealth is generated and they benefit.

Indeed. See post #15

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I've said for a long time that the day Tony Bloom sells out to a faceless Far Eastern/Russian/Chinese/American 'consortium' who has no affinity to my football club, that's the day I walk away from The Albion.

I think he will see most of the 50 and 60yr olds out. Just can't see him ever leaving

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Few people get significantly rich without some foul play somewhere along the line - it’s not exclusive to oligarchs and sheiks. Once was the day that football directors made money out of footballers.

Yep, but there's foul play and there's (state-sponsored) foul play. I believe, because it's true, we could go to war with Russia and there'd still be plenty of Chelski only caring about winning trophies.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And if a Russian billionaire came in, brought in carlo ancellotti and gave him 200+ to spend?

And if my mum had a cock she'd be my dad.

In seriousness, if the Lizard selected to sell the club to anyone I'd trust his judgement.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And if my mum had a cock she'd be my dad.

In seriousness, if the Lizard selected to sell the club to anyone I'd trust his judgement.

Sometimes buyers, even with due diligence, are underneath liars and chancers. The Moore’s family sold LFC in good faith to Hicks & Gillet, who initially made all the right noises. Then ....

But the great news is I reckon TB is in this for the very long term, and the guy is still relatively young.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sometimes buyers, even with due diligence, are underneath liars and chancers. The Moore’s family sold LFC in good faith to Hicks & Gillet, who initially made all the right noises. Then ....

But the great news is I reckon TB is in this for the very long term, and the guy is still relatively young.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't also have at least one chip off the old block in the wings.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
And the great thing about being in the Premier League is that we're not totally dependent on TBs handouts to stay sustainable. Not saying we're not getting the handouts, just that we've got a stream of income can vaguely cover our costs. If he did decide he wanted to step away and spend more time with his family, it wouldn't be good, but not the disaster it would have been 2 years ago.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't also have at least one chip off the old block in the wings.

He's already publicly said so.........can't recall or find the piece at the moment but I think it was when PB was thinking of joining the club and he asked TB what his long term plans for the club were - he did something like point to a picture of his kid (young son ?) on the wall and said 'he'll be running it' or something similar. I genuinely don't think TB has a price at which he'd sell the club.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Why don't they just buy the trophies from the FA and stick them in the cabinet and not run a football team at all. That way it would be a lot cheaper to own some silverware. Less overheads, plenty of silverware as in essence that's what they're doing anyway.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I do find this highly polished, wonderful image of Man City quite nauseating tbh. That Amazon documentary on them started out quite interesting, seeing some of the stuff behind the scenes, Guardiola's methods etc, but the longer it went on the more boring it became, as it emerged that it was just a contrived, corporate airbrushed image of filtered perfection. Just an extended pro-mo video.

They've gone balls-out on propaganda, designed to paint the owners as kindly, benevolent benefactors bestowing their fortune on MCFC and regenerating not just the club, but some of the surrounding area. Some of which is true of course (the investment side obvs), but it conveniently glosses over the grubby links they have to human rights atrocities in their own region, as well as the underhand manipulation and outright cheating in terms of FFP, which it would seem goes far beyond what they were fined for by UEFA.

Easy to be seduced by the sublime football they play whilst not paying much attention to the dark side of that club, which is of course exactly what those arabs want. City's arrival and then interruption of the Utd / Chelsea / Arsenal / Liverpool domination of the top places was quite welcome and refreshing at the time, but at what cost, when you know all the strings are being pulled by crooks and scumbags.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here