Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The triggering of Article 50 requires 2 years of negociations - it was those EU rules I was referring to. If the EU want to protect their corrupt like club that's quite understandable.

Why didn't the government work out what plan they wanted before triggering Article 50. They could have spent the two years more wisely fine tuning it.
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Planning and implementation would indeed have cost money but in any negociation you always need an ultimate backstop - in this case it could only ever realistically be 'no deal'. We could have easily carried out the planning phase and held back on the implementation for a while to save on up front costs. I'd liken 'no deal' planning to BCP/DR planning in business. I've lost count how many FDs I've sat in front of and said it will cost you say £200k to make all your IT resilient. "I'm not paying that !". "How much would it cost you per day to have no operation ?", "About £50k a day", "I rest my case". I'll use a local example of why this sort of planning is so vital. A local healthcare company near Worthing had a dodgy roof. The owning company had provided the budget to replace it but the MD kept delaying because he doesn't like spending money. The roof would have cost around £100k. No BCP/DR planning was in place. Roof started to leak and when checked there was asbestos. The company had to shut down and give all staff two weeks paid leave. They had to have 850 pallets of stock moved to a temporary site - took over two weeks to do. The company is still not fully up and running and the whole episode has cost them hundreds of thousands of pounds. There is zero excuse for it to take a company over six weeks to get back to 100% and it's all because of lack of planning. Thankfully for them their owning company is bankrolling them.

If all these companies all suddenly decide they need support to get ready then do we know where that will come from?

You can see why an FD is pissed off at the thought of spending 200k for nothing. Obviously they need to but how many campuses will struggle to fund such things?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not sure it's really relevant.

(But I think I'm gradually winning you round :wink:)

It's relevent because I was pointing out, admittedly in a very wordy way, that you plan for the worst before the worst happens.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You can see why an FD is pissed off at the thought of spending 200k for nothing. Obviously they need to but how many campuses will struggle to fund such things?

It's not for nothing though is it. It's a risk versus expenditure decision. Only 20% of SME companies that have a complete shutdown distaster survive past the first year post the disaster. Those that do survive generally have decent planning in place.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Why didn't the government work out what plan they wanted before triggering Article 50. They could have spent the two years more wisely fine tuning it.
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Can't disagree.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Norway has special circumstances on why that deal works for them. The same cannot be said for the UK, with a larger population, more diverse economy but greater reliance on services. Nobody wants Norway.

Quite a few seem to fancy a Norway deal,and they manage a border with an EU nation without major problems.Might be a reasonable solution to last out the EU's collapse.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It's not for nothing though is it. It's a risk versus expenditure decision. Only 20% of SME companies that have a complete shutdown distaster survive past the first year post the disaster. Those that do survive generally have decent planning in place.

It is to prepare for something that the majority of businesses didn’t want to happen. Surely you can see why companies are very very irritated by the lateness of this. I assume many won’t prepare because they have looked at it and decided that if it is no deal then they will go bust anyway so why bother getting in more debt.

Imagine the chat with an employee “sorry mate, I have to let you, Pete and diane leave because we might leave with no deal and I need to spend your wages on preparing”.

Big corporates can cope but for SMEs it will be hard.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Lol. Ok, if you think so.

Plenty of reports out there that highlight the switch to internet shopping as a killer to high street shops. One sector particularly badly hit is the electronics sector. Many people go and see what they want to buy in the high street and then buy it cheaper online. I thought you remainers liked experts ? It's what the experts are saying. The internet combined with high rents and rates is killing the high street but you can continue being stupid and blinkered if you like. You're going to explode with fury when FoM is removed aren't you ? *snigger*

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
It is to prepare for something that the majority of businesses didn’t want to happen. Surely you can see why companies are very very irritated by the lateness of this. I assume many won’t prepare because they have looked at it and decided that if it is no deal then they will go bust anyway so why bother getting in more debt.

Imagine the chat with an employee “sorry mate, I have to let you, Pete and diane leave because we might leave with no deal and I need to spend your wages on preparing”.

Big corporates can cope but for SMEs it will be hard.

I was comparing the governments lack of planning for no deal with businesses not planning for DR/BCP not against businesses not preparing for a no deal Brexit. I get why some businesses might be reluctant to invest in Brexit planning ...... although they'd be foolish not to if they want to survive a no deal.

Jan 30, 2008
Plenty of reports out there that highlight the switch to internet shopping as a killer to high street shops. One sector particularly badly hit is the electronics sector. Many people go and see what they want to buy in the high street and then buy it cheaper online. I thought you remainers liked experts ? It's what the experts are saying. The internet combined with high rents and rates is killing the high street but you can continue being stupid and blinkered if you like. You're going to explode with fury when FoM is removed aren't you ? *snigger*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9HCzAXoDI8
Plooks ?
regards
DR

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I was speaking to my Father over the weekend and he told me about how he'd spoken to some former neighbours of his for the first time in ages who retired to Belves in The Dordogne. Never mind the fact they're apparently very worried about whether their pensions will still be paid into their French accounts (which are worth less in Euros now than before the vote) and the grey areas of health care access and actual residency post-Brexit - their property is falling in value all the time apparently due to the number of ex-pats who've sold up and come back to The UK and the fact nobody's moving out there from The UK in the opposite direction.

Still, as least they'll have blue passports soon. :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
British airways to become Spanish ?

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/special...b-rees-mogg-response-british-airways-spanish/

JRM advising them to seek a back up when it goes wrong, like he has already done

odd story, or perhaps misreporting? BA parent IAG is already a Spanish company, International Consolidated Airlines Group, S.A. expect this is about share holdings owned outside EU, similar to Easyjet setting up a Austrian "HQ" though opertations remain in UK.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Quite a few seem to fancy a Norway deal,and they manage a border with an EU nation without major problems.

Apart from:

20 minutes to 1 hour delays due to custom checks.
Nowhere close to the volume of HGV's that we have passing over our borders.
It closes overnight.

Jan 30, 2008
I was speaking to my Father over the weekend and he told me about how he'd spoken to some former neighbours of his for the first time in ages who retired to Belves in The Dordogne. Never mind the fact they're apparently very worried about whether their pensions will still be paid into their French accounts (which are worth less in Euros now than before the vote) and the grey areas of health care access and actual residency post-Brexit - their property is falling in value all the time apparently due to the number of ex-pats who've sold up and come back to The UK and the fact nobody's moving out there from The UK in the opposite direction.

Still, as least they'll have blue passports soon. :thumbsup:
WHY DIDN'T HE SPEAK TO THEM BEFORE ???

moan, moan, moan over the Garden fence:rolleyes:
regards
DR

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
WHY DIDN'T HE SPEAK TO THEM BEFORE ???

moan, moan, moan over the Garden fence:rolleyes:
regards
DR

A mutual friend had passed away and he was letting them know, if you're really interested.

Chugginton starts in 4 minutes, so you better run along as you won't want to miss it. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here