Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Amsterdam

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
To be honest, I'm getting a tiny bit bored of the place having come over here for years at this time of year.

I come over for a huge technology exhibition, but really it's about a load of mates getting together.

However, this time for the first time I got here on the Eurostar direct which started this year.

Brilliant, far more comfortable than the plane and less f'ing around for down to Gatwick so I'd recommend it.

If you have a garden this is a great time of year to come over and buy tulip bulbs.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Look at me I am on holiday

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Amsterdam is a fantastic place, love it there! Often go over for music festivals.

Haven't used the eurostar but always found the flight pretty easy, quick and cheap! I live an hour or so from gatwick by train. From hotel door in amsterdam to front door at home in just over 4 hours! Superb!

Can't wait for my next trip there!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Amsterdam is a fantastic place, love it there! Often go over for music festivals.

Haven't used the eurostar but always found the flight pretty easy, quick and cheap! I live an hour or so from gatwick by train. From hotel door in amsterdam to front door at home in just over 4 hours! Superb!

Can't wait for my next trip there!

My mother passed away over 10 years ago and since then I like to take my Dad and one of his friends away on holiday as he is often left on his own now. One of the times I thought. ''How about Amsterdam'' I said to them............... ''Yeh sounds good'' they replied.

And as you do I took them round the red light district.

They are in their 80s and 70s respectively.

Curious they were. Interested they were not.

After about 20 mins looking in windows with Naked women my Dads friend spots something out of the corner of his eye which sparks his interest and he shouts.

''Hey G - Look there '' I turned inquisitively.

Then he shouts '' Look - That pub there sells Guinness and its got Sky Sports'' -

To which I responded ''I bring you both to the Red Light District in Amsterdam and all your interested in is Sky Sports and Guinness'' -

To which my Dad replied. ''Look G - At our age , a dead bird has no chance of flying out of it's cage. I'm off for a pint. The Man United game is on at half past six''

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering

My mother passed away over 10 years ago and since then I like to take my Dad and one of his friends away on holiday as he is often left on his own now. One of the times I thought. ''How about Amsterdam'' I said to them............... ''Yeh sounds good'' they replied.

And as you do I took them round the red light district.

They are in their 80s and 70s respectively.

Curious they were. Interested they were not.

After about 20 mins looking in windows with Naked women my Dads friend spots something out of the corner of his eye which sparks his interest and he shouts.

''Hey G - Look there '' I turned inquisitively.

Then he shouts '' Look - That pub there sells Guinness and its got Sky Sports'' -

To which I responded ''I bring you both to the Red Light District in Amsterdam and all your interested in is Sky Sports and Guinness'' -

To which my Dad replied. ''Look G - At our age , a dead bird has no chance of flying out of it's cage. I'm off for a pint. The Man United game is on at half past six''

Great story! Sounds like a man who likes what he likes and isn't afraid to tell you!

Sadly the English don't have the best reputation out there, not helped by the most recent England fixture and some terrible behaviour!

But i have found the Dutch to be some of the most welcoming people! One of the reasons i love to visit!

Have you been back there or do you always look to try somewhere new each year? (Providing there is a bar with sky sports there somewhere, of course! ��)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Great story! Sounds like a man who likes what he likes and isn't afraid to tell you!

Sadly the English don't have the best reputation out there, not helped by the most recent England fixture and some terrible behaviour!

But i have found the Dutch to be some of the most welcoming people! One of the reasons i love to visit!

Have you been back there or do you always look to try somewhere new each year? (Providing there is a bar with sky sports there somewhere, of course! )

I'm out there a lot. I'm Godfather to my friends daughter in Den Haag - My Dad and his mate have a local over in Amsterdam now. ''The Old Bell'' on the corner of Rembrandts Splein. They know the Barman Mike his name is apparently who makes sure they always get taxi home safely.

They go to the Dutch Shlaga Bar close to there ''Café Bola Jahn'' (Fat Johns Café) for a sing a long. Not once have they ever asked ''Where is the Red Light District'' - But my Dad has said what he wants on his Gravestone is '' I forgive that ****er on the bike who knocked me down and killed me''

I said who is that ?

He said '' I don't know yet but guaranteed one of those ****ers on a bike is gonna knock me down and kill me one of these days''

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
I'm out there a lot. I'm Godfather to my friends daughter in Den Haag - My Dad and his mate have a local over in Amsterdam now. ''The Old Bell'' on the corner of Rembrandts Splein. They know the Barman Mike his name is apparently who makes sure they always get taxi home safely.

They go to the Dutch Shlaga Bar close to there ''Café Bola Jahn'' (Fat Johns Café) for a sing a long. Not once have they ever asked ''Where is the Red Light District'' - But my Dad has said what he wants on his Gravestone is '' I forgive that ****er on the bike who knocked me down and killed me''

I said who is that ?

He said '' I don't know yet but guaranteed one of those ****ers on a bike is gonna knock me down and kill me one of these days''

Haha your dad certainly has a terrific sense of humour!!

I have never been to the red light district and only ince to the centre of Amsterdam! Usually look to stay in the sloterdijk area, not far from the airport and not too far from where the festivals are. Most recent one was about a month ago, first time they have had one in the docks. Was fantastic....if not a little cold though.

Even talking about it this morning has got me looking at the next trip! Really doesn't cost the earth either does it!?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
To be honest, I'm getting a tiny bit bored of the place having come over here for years at this time of year.

I come over for a huge technology exhibition, but really it's about a load of mates getting together.

However, this time for the first time I got here on the Eurostar direct which started this year.

Brilliant, far more comfortable than the plane and less f'ing around for down to Gatwick so I'd recommend it.

If you have a garden this is a great time of year to come over and buy tulip bulbs.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Did you manage to find any cheap Eurostar tickets?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Always techno! Drumcode festival, awakennings.....both examples of how festivals should be put on!

:thumbsup: Just looked up the Drumcode festival, nice. I saw Amelia Lens at a festival very recently actually, she played a really nice early evening set just before Answer Code Request played a bonkers full-throttle peak time set .....in broad day light at 8pm. That set the rest of the night up quite well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
**** me. Just looked at the Awakenings line up.....have you ever been to Berlin? I think you might like it.

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
:thumbsup: Just looked up the Drumcode festival, nice. I saw Amelia Lens at a festival very recently actually, she played a really nice early evening set just before Answer Code Request played a bonkers full-throttle peak time set .....in broad day light at 8pm. That set the rest of the night up quite well.

Amelia lens is quality! For me, the best set of drumcode festival was either bart skills, or the master himself, Adam Beyer. His close was insane!

If you like techno, you should really look at awakenings, best weekend of the year for me! Its huge!!! And so many DJs there. Think its like €100 for a two day ticket too!!

Which festival did you go to??

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

Except getting to St Pancras from Brighton is a bigger pain then getting to Gatwick!

The most annoying thing with the flight to AMS is that the plane seems to spend more time taxiing on the ground at either end than it does the air!

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
**** me. Just looked at the Awakenings line up.....have you ever been to Berlin? I think you might like it.

Yeah line up is insane! 2017 was actually much better than 2018 i thought!!

Haven't been to berlin, its a long way to go and potentiality not get in anywhere!! Have you bee?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah line up is insane! 2017 was actually much better than 2018 i thought!!

Haven't been to berlin, its a long way to go and potentiality not get in anywhere!! Have you bee?

Yes, there is the risk of not getting into the big name clubs but the smaller ones like Beatre Uwe, Golden Gate and Mensch Meier are usually okay. Some of the mid-level places like About Blank, Chalet and Club Der Visionnaer are usually okay as well; 50/50.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here