Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That ERG meeting is like some sort of Hammer Horror film, full of weirdos and freaks

You're being far too polite about them.

owen.JPG

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
In all honesty, that's exactly what I'm seeing but maybe I'm wrong. I can understand that some of the points addressed don't really need a border (trade might just need regular checks to ensure no wrong doing) but the point is that their paper clearly fails to address the issue that will surely bother most Brexit voters - the fact that immigrants will simply be able to cross that border freely.

They also contradict themselves by basically saying this will be done by UK/EU regulations being the same after Brexit when all the exciting new trade deals we'll be doing with Comoros and Eritrea etc would mean divergence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Especially not considering they also propose doing away with non tariff barriers on imports.

Total pie in the ****ing sky. What a surprise!

Therasa May must be chuckling and rubbing her hands. This must strengthen her Chequers plan?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I see Gove is currently performing an about turn on the ban of live animal exports after Brexit.

Liars, the ****ing lot of them. Brexit built on lies and all down to the Tories.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
And also allow businesses to freely move goods into and out of the EU without any interference, scrutiny and taxes. I can’t see the EU allowing this. We must be missing something?

Also, if I am reading this right, the UK will remain aligned with EU agricultural policy post Brexit:

For agricultural products, the Government should agree equivalence of UK and EU regulations and conformity assessment. Since UK and EU standards are identical and will remain identical at the point of departure, determining equivalence after Brexit should be straightforward. The current smooth movement of agricultural products across the Irish border, without the need for border inspection posts, can be continued by maintaining the island of Ireland as a Common Biosecurity Zone.

Given how vociferous Mogg was pre Brexit to remove EU agricultural regulation so that his North East Somerset constituents can release the shackles holding them back and farm with harmful chemicals, currently banned by the EU, I am unsure how this can be?

Surely Mogg ins't advocating to maintain the alignment of UK agricultural policy with the EU post Brexit?

Edit@: just read [MENTION=34106]ManOfSussex[/MENTION] post above, and yes surely this would mean that all UK/EU regulations have to be aligned post brexit?

Further edit: How would NI lose out over EU subsidised farming in SI when the products can move freely?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Also, if I am reading this right, the UK will remain aligned with EU agricultural policy post Brexit:

Given how vociferous Mogg was pre Brexit to remove EU agricultural regulation so that his North East Somerset constituents can release the shackles holding them back and farm with harmful chemicals, currently banned by the EU, I am unsure how this can be?

Surely Mogg ins't advocating to maintain the alignment of UK agricultural policy with the EU post Brexit?

Edit@: just read [MENTION=34106]ManOfSussex[/MENTION] post above, and yes surely this would mean that all UK/EU regulations have to be aligned post brexit?

Further edit: How would NI lose out over EU subsidised farming in SI when the products can move freely?

Darth Mogg's entire agenda is to shed regulations in order for him and his chums to make money by peddling inferior produce. It's insidious.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
“Public opinion polls across Europe show people more in favour of the EU than they have been in recent years ”

:thumbsup:

If you're going to quote it might be more honest to use the whole quote - although I know it doesn't support your pro-EU view quite as well.

"Public opinion polls across Europe show people more in favour of the EU than they have been in recent years but - and this is a hugely important but - they're also more sympathetic towards populist parties, which are often nationalist and Eurosceptic in nature."

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Their paper seems to suggest simply carrying on as now, and trust everyone and everything which goes across the border. Am I missing something?

In all honesty, that's exactly what I'm seeing but maybe I'm wrong. I can understand that some of the points addressed don't really need a border (trade might just need regular checks to ensure no wrong doing) but the point is that their paper clearly fails to address the issue that will surely bother most Brexit voters - the fact that immigrants will simply be able to cross that border freely.

You mean exactly as [MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION] has been promoting ? Really ? So the only organisation that might put up a hard border is ...... the EU ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you're going to quote it might be more honest to use the whole quote - although I know it doesn't support you're pro-EU view quite as well.

"Public opinion polls across Europe show people more in favour of the EU than they have been in recent years but - and this is a hugely important but - they're also more sympathetic towards populist parties, which are often nationalist and Eurosceptic in nature."

But that last bit doesn’t alter the fact more people like the EU than they used to does it? No it doesn’t.

As aside, if I recall you’re a big animal welfare champion? How do you feel about today’s news and Gove’s u-turn.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You mean exactly as [MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION] has been promoting ? Really ? So the only organisation that might put up a hard border is ...... the EU ?

Its not our problem to solve though. But sadly, if you guys cannot come up with a solution we might have to.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
But that last bit doesn’t alter the fact more people like the EU than they used to does it? No it doesn’t.

As aside, if I recall you’re a big animal welfare champion? How do you feel about today’s news and Gove’s u-turn.

On the assumption that Chapper's post is correct then I find it disgusting. Live exports should be banned world wide. Strangely the EU hasn't banned them either. But then we're talking about an organisation too scared of Parmesan producers to ban the vile treatment of the cows used in the production. Or Fois Gras production because it would upset the French. Or that refused to ban fish discards until predominant British chefs put pressure on them. The EU are about as animal friendly as Saddam Hussein was to the Kurds.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If the UK defaults to WTO rules (using copied-and-pasted versions of the EU’s tariffs in the short term), the EU would still have to maintain its side of the border. That would require check goods coming into Ireland from the UK.

That’s because the EU’s existence as a free trade area depends on its ability to demonstrate to the WTO that it can control its external borders properly.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factc...the-options-for-the-irish-border-after-brexit

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Its not our problem to solve though. But sadly, if you guys cannot come up with a solution we might have to.

It's a shared border. The UK may decide not to police it - that's OUR choice. If the EU don't like it then that's their problem.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't really care who promoted it on here, I simply don't understand how it can work when it doesn't address the whole border picture.

The EU are not going to bother putting up a hard border unless it was in their own interests to do so.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On the assumption that Chapper's post is correct then I find it disgusting. Live exports should be banned world wide. Strangely the EU hasn't banned them either. But then we're talking about an organisation too scared of Parmesan producers to ban the vile treatment of the cows used in the production. Or Fois Gras production because it would upset the French. Or that refused to ban fish discards until predominant British chefs put pressure on them. The EU are about as animal friendly as Saddam Hussein was to the Kurds.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-michael-gove-looks-like-13231152

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bet you feel a bit let down by Gove eh?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here