Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What did we learn from last night 28.08 2018

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
We will be in trouble if Murray gets injured. Locadia not good enough?

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Gross should not be played in front of the back 4. Locadia, although not great was isolated for most of the game with a massive gap between midfield & himself.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I seem to be in a minority, but I think, at times, Locadia showed real promise. However, the service to him was pretty bad to non-existent. I wouldn't bet against him becoming a very good player for us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I believe I am in the minority on NSC to think that Locadia will do very well for us this season.

Edit I seem to be parroting [MENTION=4573]Green Cross Code Man[/MENTION]

A little concerned that Andone appears to be the new Baldock.

I learnt that we still treat Cup competitions as a run out for the back up players and will only get the one crack in this year’s league cup. I also learnt that Southampton took the competition more seriously than us as they actually tried to win it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Button's handling and command of the area was fine, though his kicking (when he connects) needs some work. Worried that he seemed to be a bit rattled by the Southampton fans.

Barclay played - for the most part - fairly well. Got done for the goal, but certainly put in a shift.

Collar also marshalled some busy Premier League players pretty well.

Bernado is a better centre back than full back, especially in the second half.

Suttner was reasonable enough. Didn't really learn much about him, though his outlet ball was often not available.

Gross' talents are wasted as a holding midfielder.

Kayal - again, didn't learn too much about him.

Jahanbahksh needs to learn to challenge in the air against a full-back. 11th best player in the team.

Gyokeres looked lively, and is a real prospect. Looked to be more easily shepherded in the second half, and was struggling to offer Suttner an 'out' ball as the game progressed. Delighted all the kids stayed on for 90 minutes.

Bissouma is a live wire - and very exciting to watch, though needs to know when and when not to challenge. Yellow cards could be an issue for him this season.

Locadia, when the ball was played directly to him, looked strong. Having said that, he did look a bit asleep at times when the ball came his way. At least he knows the concept of offside. His main problems seemed to be no-one was near him for a pass, and was a bit too isolated.

Hughton, for his part, was experimenting. And it's to quite a bit of credit that a team of four debutants (including three U23s) held - and at times bettered - a largely first-team Southampton side for 87 minutes, until they brought on the heavy artillery. That said, playing aerial football against a Mark Hughes side is rarely advisable.

There, that's what I felt I learned.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ll join you on that ..a minority of two

I believe I am in the minority on NSC to think that Locadia will do very well for us this season. A little concerned that Andone appears to be the new Baldock.

I learnt that we still treat Cup competitions as a run out for the back up players and will only get the one crack in this year’s league cup. I also learnt that Southampton took the competition more seriously than us as they actually tried to win it.

Three, I'm in.....at least let's give him a chance, he's had nowhere near enough game time yet. Lacked service last night

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I've learned not to attend this competition.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
4-1-4-1 is fine as an option for away matches BUT Stephens is the player to play the holding role IMO with 2 of 4 (Gross , Propper , Bissoma , Kayal) in the central midfield. Barclay with more experience looks like a good prospect for the future as is Gykeries.
Button looked OK as Ryan's back-up , good enough for a short period anyway
Ali J needs more time to adjust and Locadia needs the correct type of supply for him to run unto not to try hold up for others.
Overall not unhappy with watching the seagulls player replay as I didnt see too many opportunities for Saints and thought we had the better ones just lacked a bit of coolness in front of goal

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I seem to be in a minority, but I think, at times, Locadia showed real promise. However, the service to him was pretty bad to non-existent. I wouldn't bet against him becoming a very good player for us.

well that makes 2 of us.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Locadia had no service ,whatsoever,although he is not the "wasp ",that Murray is .
Bissouma was the best player on the pitch.
Gyokers will,score goals,i am just not sure at what level yet.
Ali J needs time (I hope)
Bernardo is very quick,i like him.
Collar more dependable in defence than Schellotto....Already.
Barclay looked a fine prospect,to add to our center halfs
Button,looks very capable,and i rate him over Krul....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That our young prospects are that prospects for the future but nowhere near being ready.

Gross should never play in the Stephens role again and we need to change our approach play to reap the benefits of Jahanbakhsh and Locadia. Bissouma will be a massive hit for us, which was obvious from the Wimbledon friendly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here