Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton masterclass

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I recently was the editor on a book chronicling the evolution of football tactics from the Hungary team of the early fifties, to Antonio Conte's Chelsea. Our main two non-textual sources were Spielverlagerung and Tifo Football, always find both to be spot on.

The OPs link is also great, really great to hear an in-depth analysis of how good our performance was tactically in isolation to how bad United were.

What is the book called?

Our selective pressing and not losing the ball seemed to come as a bit of a shock to Man U. I don't think it will surprise other teams. Watford adapted quite quickly as we lost the ball too often.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The poster who spent all summer insisting CH will play 5 at the back.

Yep. On this one he's not far off being right. Put it down to the broken clock if you must.

As with [MENTION=35332]Beanstalk[/MENTION], this is an excellent and comprehensive overview. I learnt a lot more reading this than the original link.

Yep. This link is excellent.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Something like this?

I think I have the hang of it!

Cheers!
Yep, you've got it.

Be warned though, if you disagree with someone and they've got nothing to backup their argument, they'll blame your multi-quotes and say you've deliberately distorted what they said because you have an agenda.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have never said we would play 5 at the back only in perhaps odd away games, in fact I have suggested that we will copy England and Southgate and play 3 and after the performance of Balogun IMHO when Dunk is fir again that is what CH will try.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I have never said we would play 5 at the back only in perhaps odd away games, in fact I have suggested that we will copy England and Southgate and play 3 and after the performance of Balogun IMHO when Dunk is fir again that is what CH will try.

England under Southgate have only played 5 at the back. And in doing so they sacrifice any real creativity from wide midfielders. We now have 4 pacey and tricky wingers, I will be gobsmacked if CH ever names a line up without 2 wingers it is essential to his footballing philosophy

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
England under Southgate have only played 5 at the back. And in doing so they sacrifice any real creativity from wide midfielders. We now have 4 pacey and tricky wingers, I will be gobsmacked if CH ever names a line up without 2 wingers it is essential to his footballing philosophy

Exactly. For some reason, three/five at the back was pretty central to the discussion on the pre-season Albion Roar. Despite the fact that we have just three centre backs in our squad. And four wingers. And five full backs. Not to mention that, with the exception of 'matching up' against Chelsea, CH has consistently played four at the back, and has indicated that all of his preferred formations have four at the back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

What games have you been watching in the World Cup? England played 3-5-2 with Walker Stones and Maguire as the 3 with Trippier and Young as wingbacks in the 5 . Man City did the same v Huddersfield on Saturday and I am sure CH will consider it at some point with Balogun, Duffy and Dunk as the 3 and either Montoya/Bruno and Bernardo/Bong being the wing backs.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Just to make things very clear, we will never play five at the back with two advancing wing-backs, three at the back is simply suicide. Two at the back with advancing full backs is a Moanrho Death Wish.

Four players are optimum for covering the width of the pitch. This does not rule out a notional three/five at the back, with one full back advancing at a time, which effectively leaves four at the back at any one time. Or conceivably we could play three central defenders with one of them playing the ancient attacking centre half system moving into midfield. So any combination of 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 with a very occasional 4-3-3. Classic 4-3-3 just has one winger.

Last edited:

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Great site that, thanks. I really wanted to see if they had covered the Watford match, It would be interesting to read if the tactics were wrong or it was the players attitude, commitment.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Great site that, thanks. I really wanted to see if they had covered the Watford match, It would be interesting to read if the tactics were wrong or it was the players attitude, commitment.

My reading of the Watford game is that they were just better at the gegenpress than we were, causing us to abandon it before a quarter of the game had expired, and also caused our passing radar to misfire.
As bad as we were in that game, Watford were very good and -- just as with United vs us -- the scoreline flattered us. They've quickly quoshed talk of being relegation favourites; few teams beat Burnley at home.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
My reading of the Watford game is that they were just better at the gegenpress than we were, causing us to abandon it before a quarter of the game had expired, and also caused our passing radar to misfire.
As bad as we were in that game, Watford were very good and -- just as with United vs us -- the scoreline flattered us. They've quickly quoshed talk of being relegation favourites; few teams beat Burnley at home.

I think Knockaert and Pröpper gave the ball away too often at Watford. Tend to agree after 25 minutes Watford got the upper hand for a mixture of reasons. Still the first goal was a disaster, and the second one came about making a hash of playing out of defence.

Gegenpressing works best against full backs, so much so that the team with inadequate full backs will go down in 17th place!

Hearsay says Watford won at Burnley against the run of play. I thought there was no reason that Watford or Burnley would be any worse this season than last.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here