Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pedro & Morata Both Suspended For Saturday

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fro Naylors Twitter: CH re Chelsea: "I expect a very difficult game. I don;t think anyone playing against one of the top six would say any different, irrespective of their situation at the moment." #bhafc

https://twitter.com/AndyNaylorArgus/status/953992491447013376

Boom there it is. Lets sow those seeds of negativity.

Whether its top 6 or anyone else, CH always seems keen to impress what a very difficult game its going to be for us. I appreciate he's being "realistic", but I wish he'd talk us up a bit more, and talk about the problems WE can expect to cause THEM. Obviously none us know what he's like in the dressing room, but if he comes across as worried about the opposition in there as he invariably is in his pre-match press conferences, then no wonder we're not exactly going out there grabbing games by the scruff of the neck and playing with confidence.

Its leading to a feeling of "we're just glad to be here". Where's the SPUNK

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Whether its top 6 or anyone else, CH always seems keen to impress what a very difficult game its going to be for us. I appreciate he's being "realistic", but I wish he'd talk us up a bit more, and talk about the problems WE can expect to cause THEM. Obviously none us know what he's like in the dressing room, but if he comes across as worried about the opposition in there as he invariably is in his pre-match press conferences, then no wonder we're not exactly going out there grabbing games by the scruff of the neck and playing with confidence.

I have never had the impression that Chris Hughton was worried. He is measured, calm and just states facts.

People moaned when Gus went over the top with his press conferences, and now when Chris gives bland answers, that is still wrong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have never had the impression that Chris Hughton was worried. He is measured, calm and just states facts.

People moaned when Gus went over the top with his press conferences, and now when Chris gives bland answers, that is still wrong.

I didn't moan about Gus's press conferences. And to be clear, there's nobody else I'd want in our dugout than CH, whether we stay up or not. I just wish he wasn't quite as overwhelmingly respectful of the opposition sometimes. Its edging towards passiveness, which is certainly how we've been on the pitch on a number of occasions this season.

CH and the club have worked bloody hard to get us to this level. We've earned it, we deserved it. Now we've got to play like we believe we belong.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I think that once a manager has been at a club for a certain period of time, it is fair to assume that the team will inherit the characteristics of the manager. No Albion fan would argue that Hughton isn't a very impressive man; he comes across as humble, thoughtful, modest and self-deprecating. In fact, the word that springs to mind when I think about what I know of his character is "diffident".

When I watched the Bournemouth home game over here the other day, David Pleat was the co-commentator. The commentator asked him if he felt that Hughton would go on to become a top-level manager when he was managing Hughton at Spurs. Pleat replied that, in all honesty, Hughton wouldn't have been one that he felt was a future natural manager, although he was studious and interested in the tactical side of the game.

The fact is, Albion are now the only side not to take a point off the big-6 clubs this season. Whilst knowing nothing about how Hughton is with the players in training and in the dressing-room, I do wonder if these games are lost before we've even kicked-off due to the cautiousness and inherent timorousness that Hughton's Albion sides have tended to exhibit since he's been manager. I think this is what Norwich's fans were referring to when they labelled him negative; I think it is more accurately described as cautiousness, although the end result is probably the same.

Any points that we earn in our remaining six matches against the big-6 clubs could well make the difference between survival and relegation; I would happily accept, say, a win, a draw and four heavy defeats rather than six 1-0 or 2-0 "respectable" defeats. Andy Naylor was banging on the other day about Stoke's heavy losses away at these clubs this season, whilst completing ignoring the fact they've earned 4 points against them this season so far (beating Arsenal at home and drawing at home to United). I'd bite your arm off right now if you offered me that and four 5-0 defeats in the other matches we have left against the big-6.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I didn't moan about Gus's press conferences. And to be clear, there's nobody else I'd want in our dugout than CH, whether we stay up or not. I just wish he wasn't quite as overwhelmingly respectful of the opposition sometimes. Its edging towards passiveness, which is certainly how we've been on the pitch on a number of occasions this season.

CH and the club have worked bloody hard to get us to this level. We've earned it, we deserved it. Now we've got to play like we believe we belong.

I don't think he is passively respectful. I've just watched the YouTube clip of the goals at West Brom and he looks furious when the first one goes in. I mean really angry.

He doesn't give anything away in his interviews. I think he would make a good poker player, if he doesn't already play.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Agreed.......and it does sound a bit scraping the barrel when a poster is now criticising how CH comes over at a press conference ..how times have changed

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think that once a manager has been at a club for a certain period of time, it is fair to assume that the team will inherit the characteristics of the manager. No Albion fan would argue that Hughton isn't a very impressive man; he comes across as humble, thoughtful, modest and self-deprecating. In fact, the word that springs to mind when I think about what I know of his character is "diffident".

When I watched the Bournemouth home game over here the other day, David Pleat was the co-commentator. The commentator asked him if he felt that Hughton would go on to become a top-level manager when he was managing Hughton at Spurs. Pleat replied that, in all honesty, Hughton wouldn't have been one that he felt was a future natural manager, although he was studious and interested in the tactical side of the game.

The fact is, Albion are now the only side not to take a point off the big-6 clubs this season. Whilst knowing nothing about how Hughton is with the players in training and in the dressing-room, I do wonder if these games are lost before we've even kicked-off due to the cautiousness and inherent timorousness that Hughton's Albion sides have tended to exhibit since he's been manager. I think this is what Norwich's fans were referring to when they labelled him negative; I think it is more accurately described as cautiousness, although the end result is probably the same.

Any points that we earn in our remaining six matches against the big-6 clubs could well make the difference between survival and relegation; I would happily accept, say, a win, a draw and four heavy defeats rather than six 1-0 or 2-0 "respectable" defeats. Andy Naylor was banging on the other day about Stoke's heavy losses away at these clubs this season, whilst completing ignoring the fact they've earned 4 points against them this season so far (beating Arsenal at home and drawing at home to United). I'd bite your arm off right now if you offered me that and four 5-0 defeats in the other matches we have left against the big-6.

We have still got to play most of the big 6 at home. There's Liverpool so far, they mullered us, and we kept Man City to a respectable scoreline, especially when you consider it was our first match.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agreed.......and it does sound a bit scraping the barrel when a poster is now criticising how CH comes over at a press conference ..how times have changed

Hughton is a class act, there's no disputing that. But I'd simply like my team to be a little less respectful of the opposition when they go out on the pitch than Hughton is towards them in his pre-match briefings, that's all. I want to see us getting in other teams faces, regardless of who they are. I've seen Bournemouth do it regularly. I've seen Palace do it regularly. Last week we saw West Brom do it to us.

I can't escape the feeling that we are just too passive, and results on the road of late would bear that out. No goals now in 10+ hours of play. That's 6 games since Swansea without rippling the net at an away ground (Man U, Hudds, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle, WBA). Other than the Man U game, I don't think we've even come CLOSE either. If that doesn't change, and we keep drawing ay home, there's only one way this season will end up.

I can accept relegation, but it will be all the more bitter if I feel we never quite gave it a proper go.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'm fully expecting CH to be singing Chelsea's praises in the press conference today. The phrase "very, very difficult" will feature prominently, several times I'm sure.

"it's going to be very, very difficult with the quality they've got"

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here