Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you take England winning the World Cup...But Brighton get relegated

Would you take England winning the World Cup...but Brighton get relegated

• Yes

Votes: 60 24.8%
  • No

Votes: 182 75.2%

• Total voters

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
back in my 20's I would have given anything for England to win a major tournement and it would have been an easy choice for me.

Now its my own joy over the countries joy. I think sod the rest of the country it will feel more special to us as fans if we stay up after the journey we will have been on over the last 7 years.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Yes.
England winning the World Cup would be amazing for the country.

Also get to enjoy days out at Brentford, Forrest, Fulham, Millwall, Burton etc etc again next season with another chance of promotion.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've gone with England purely on the basis winning the World Cup is a once in a lifetime achievement, but it was a close run thing.

I like to think it is only a temporary thing that England's stock domestically is at an all-time low, and that the team will improve and the public be won back. Certainly, we're woefully short in midfield but Kane, Alli, Sterling are all getting stronger and pose a goal threat, Walker and Bertrand are decent full-backs, Pickford is better than Hart while Maguire has more potential than the limited Cahill, then there's the tantalising prospect of Lewis Dunk.

Indeed, Dunk and Maguire would represent the most skilful ball-playing centre half combo for England since Ferdinand and Ledley King.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Of course I would. Once in a lifetime stuff and the chances of us being promoted again in the next 4 or 5 years are much higher than us ever winning a World Cup.

Hate these threads as there’s no need to compare club v country as there’s no such thing...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Pointless thread.
How old are you? No-one over the age of 10 has any interest / expectation for England to win (and I've spent good money following England abroad, so I am well-placed to comment).

This is an Albion site for Albion people. We'll have no England here

I really hope that’s a ****ing joke...!

The fact is it’s become ‘fashionable’ to slate our country too much. If the majority of real BHA fans on here took the same stance in BHA as they do England we’d have hardly any fans left. Being a fan means you stick by your team. Yes we’re an infuriating side as we are amongst the best in the world at qualifying without question but then we get to the major tournos and look shellshocked and like we play with weights on our legs and are generally shit. I think the media have played a big part in this by trying to scarper the countries chances and putting so much pressure in the players too. There’s obviously always criticism to have with England and international football - too many pointless friendly breaks and a grassroots system nowhere near the development structure of Germany etc but maybe this will soon change with our youth teams recently doing so well.

I’m short, I want England to win every game and BHA to win every games - they’re not exclusive, they should come hand in hand for any football fan imo.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Of course I would. Once in a lifetime stuff and the chances of us being promoted again in the next 4 or 5 years are much higher than us ever winning a World Cup.

Hate these threads as there’s no need to compare club v country as there’s no such thing...

England used to be Premier League, now we're League 1 and down to the hardcore fans. If the senior side start doing what U-17/U-19 /U-20 have achieved the fans will return.

That's a big 'if' though, I grant you. There was a time when Jack Rodwell was the most exciting young player in the country, now he's bleeding Sunderland dry for £70K a week from their bench.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
England used to be Premier League, now we're League 1 and down to the hardcore fans. If the senior side start doing what U-17/U-19 /U-20 have achieved the fans will return.

That's a big 'if' though, I grant you. There was a time when Jack Rodwell was the most exciting young player in the country, now he's bleeding Sunderland dry for £70K a week from their bench.

Yep, we’ve not been that good in the last few years. But I still stand by my country and always will. My edited post above touched on the youth stuff too :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes. Relegations and promotions come and go.

I agree. There was a time when I'd have laughed at the idea of saying yes to this, but frankly I'd just like to see my country win the big one before I die. This club is so well structured these days that it will inevitably bounce back into this division at some point.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Yep, we’ve not been that good in the last few years. But I still stand by my country and always will. My edited post above touched on the youth stuff too :thumbsup:

I guess part of it for me is that I've never really been a patriotic sort of guy. I'm only English because my parents lived in Shoreham and not Selebi Phikwe.

I don't know, national identity isn't really something I ascribe to. Borders have always just been lines on a map to my eyes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That was easy. Those voting yes should be ashamed of themselves. :shrug:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I saw England win the World Cup but them doing it again is not a priority of mine right now.
My priority is for the Albion to stay up and build on our success

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I really hope that’s a ****ing joke...!

The fact is it’s become ‘fashionable’ to slate our country too much. If the majority of real BHA fans on here took the same stance in BHA as they do England we’d have hardly any fans left. Being a fan means you stick by your team. Yes we’re an infuriating side as we are amongst the best in the world at qualifying without question but then we get to the major tournos and look shellshocked and like we play with weights on our legs and are generally shit. I think the media have played a big part in this by trying to scarper the countries chances and putting so much pressure in the players too. There’s obviously always criticism to have with England and international football - too many pointless friendly breaks and a grassroots system nowhere near the development structure of Germany etc but maybe this will soon change with our youth teams recently doing so well.

I’m short, I want England to win every game and BHA to win every games - they’re not exclusive, they should come hand in hand for any football fan imo.

To clarify, I'm not criticising England, or the English football team. Nor do the performances (good or bad) of the national team have any bearing on my opinion of them. I just don't care.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here