Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Memories - 1975/76

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
The irony of that season was that Wardy's arrival in the first team pretty much coincided with our nosedive from the promotion frame. When he made his debut at Hereford we were second in the table (with three teams going up) and eight games left to play including the clash at Edgar Street. He scored six goals in six of those fixtures, and yet we only won one of them:

1-1 Hereford (A)
1-1 Rotherham (A)
1-2 Chesterfield (A)
3-0 Port Vale (H)
1-3 Millwall (A)
1-1 Aldershot (A)
1-1 Gillingham (H)
1-1 Sheffield Wednesday (H)

.....which leads me to think that, no matter how good a striker Ward was, maybe the balance of the team was somehow affected during that run-in. Or maybe we simply ran out of steam? No matter what, we certainly made up for it the following season.

I don't think you can blame Wardy

5 away games in there

we were crap away

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
I know, I know. Absolutely no blame attached. But it is strange how his goals couldn't somehow carry us over the finish line.

Clearly Ward made his presence felt about the place though. In Alan Mullery's autobiography, he recalls how Fred Binney came into see him that summer offering advice along the lines of 'You need to play me, the kid's too skinny'. Mullery thanked him but nothing could shake his belief in Ward. Initially the pair of them both started the 76/77 up front before Binney lost his place and was duly sold. So it turns out he had every reason to be worried!

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
There has only been one occasion where I have not minded watching the Albion lose - the 3-1 defeat at Millwall that Easter.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
OP doesnt mention Wardy being at Burton; Ken Gutteridge moved at the same time according to extract from Wikipedia:
'Ward was an apprentice engine fitter at the Rolls-Royce plant in Derby. While there he played for non-league side Burton Albion. He was transferred to Brighton & Hove Albion F.C. in 1975 for a fee of £4000 (almost $5,500). The move also saw Burton manager Ken Gutteridge move to the Albion as Assistant Manager. Initially, Ward played in the Brighton Reserves. His first game with the first team came on 27 March 1976 against Hereford United. He scored in the first minute in a game that ended 1–1.'

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
My abiding memory of that season was the October friendly with Stoke (when they were a semi-glamorous top-flight side) at the Goldstone. The game celebrated the seventy-fifth anniversary of the Albion. It was the first time that I had seen players from the top division in the flesh and I was spellbound. I was only ten.

I have still got a programme signed by Alan Hudson

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Whenever I think about that season the image I have is of Gerry Fell just running through people; one goal (may have been Southend at home) he must have taken out 6 players before scoring. He didn't drop a shoulder once, they just bounced off him as he ran in a straight line. Also remember Sammy Morgan's pathological hatred of keepers; oh to have seen him and Hans Kraay in the same side.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
A nod to those who have commented before. I worked in East Croydon so did not miss our early winner and work was great the next day. The home Palace game had over 30,000 for a night game and their smoke bombs. Very hostile atmosphere.

Home games were great, some already mentioned and there was also Grimsby, where we came from 1-2 down to win 4-2. Fred Binney was le leathal inside the box but we were a different side away and he couldn't play from the half way line.

We crashed at Easter, losing to a resurgent Millwall at the very nasty Den. The next day we took over Aldershot and only drew. There was a pitch invasion at the end, I think the crossbars were broken. These games were on Good Friday & Easter Saturday and on the Easter Monday we had a poor 1-1 with Gillingham. Joe Kinnear had not endeared himself with his lack of effort. he broke his leg and fans jeered as he was carried off.

Wardy played the last 8 games and scored 6. Taylor left in the summer, Mullery took over and didn't need to make a signing for ages. the team was all there, just needed a motivational manager.

Still remember the depressing home game against Gillingham.
Joe Kinnear's piss poor penalty at the North Stand end, saved by their keeper who looked like an adolescent kid. (who may have even been making his debut)

And the last game of the season when Ward scored a stunner against Wednesday.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Man that takes me back a bit and I remember them very well, even though I was 16 years old at the time.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Whenever I think about that season the image I have is of Gerry Fell just running through people; one goal (may have been Southend at home) he must have taken out 6 players before scoring. He didn't drop a shoulder once, they just bounced off him as he ran in a straight line. Also remember Sammy Morgan's pathological hatred of keepers; oh to have seen him and Hans Kraay in the same side.

Gerry was my favourite player as a kid, I can see him in my mind now running in front of the chicken run.

Graham2

Oct 25, 2003
Two things stand out for me that season. I had a mate who was a groundsman at Sussex who used to watch the reserves and I distinctly remember him saying there was this kid Ward who was fantastic. You very rarely hear rave reviews about unknown second xi players.
Also I had to travel to London on the Good Friday and decided at the last minute to go to Millwall. I'd never been there and thought I would stand safely on the half way. It was so bad. The home fans absolutely tore into Brighton players particularly Towner who visibly wilted under the abuse. Funny that he ended up there a hero!

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I had forgot what a dismal end to the season we had , too many draws and only one win in the last 8 games , even though I went to 6 of the last 8 games , if I remember Millwall came out of the pack to beat us to promotion . I think we only won a handful of away games that season , but that did include a win at Palace , our away form was awful .
I also remember that was the season when we had A striker called Barry Butlin on loan for a month , he scored a hatful of goals including the winner at Palace , if he would of stayed I think promotion would of been guaranteed

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Neil Martin probably had a better scoring ratio than all of them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here