Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's Championship games

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blimey! What a remarkable weekend. If you were one of the chasing pack our result last night must have been a complete sickener.

Especially if they watched the game. At the Murray sending off and the penalty I imagine they thought we'd dropped three points. Our joy must have been pretty well matched by their despair at what happened next

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bridcutt isn't the player he once promised to be, is he? He was so dominant for us, the point around which all our good work revolved.

Now he's just a scrapper, has made a lot of errors today.
Hindsight would suggest he is the very epitome of round peg for a round hole.

Sure at the time, for the Albion, I thought he was a fantastic player destined for greatness.
But it's transpired he's just a footballer who for a short period of time had 10 other players designed to compliment his abilities.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Sure at the time, for the Albion, I thought he was a fantastic player destined for greatness.
But it's transpired he's just a footballer who for a short period of time had 10 other players designed to compliment his abilities.

Did they all clap and cheer him!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nevertheless, we don't have a good record at Oakwell.

We don't have a good record at most Northern clubs in this division, Leeds apart.

Huddersfield, Barnsley, Rotherham and Leeds are all going to be really tough games to win. Travelling up North in mid winter is not a happy hunting ground for the Albion historically, especially at night games.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland

Maybe the little fellow just felt more comfortable playing under our low ceiling? :wink:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We don't have a good record at most Northern clubs in this division, Leeds apart.

Huddersfield, Barnsley, Rotherham and Leeds are all going to be really tough games to win. Travelling up North in mid winter is not a happy hunting ground for the Albion historically, especially at night games.

That's what we said about Hillsbrough.... History is just that, this team has no fear and a never say die attitude and so should we.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That's what we said about Hillsbrough.... History is just that, this team has no fear and a never say die attitude and so should we.

Absolutley, but it is engrained in me, as an Albion fan to expect absolutely nothing from these games. I was proved wrong at Sheffield but right at Preston. The team have a much better attitude than me obviously but all those games worry me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Huddersfield is 50/50 for success rate away from home.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Travelling up North in mid winter is not a happy hunting ground for the Albion historically, especially at night games.

To be fair, the sample size for this brazen assertion is not vast. Midweek away games in winter in this season and last total just four: SW 3/11/15 0-0 (or is early Nov still autumn?), Rotherham 12/1/16 0-2 (suspect THE game that sticks in the mind) Hull 16/2/16 0-0 (promoted side); Blackburn 13/12/16 3-2. One bad result away in winter midweek games up North out of last 73 total matches hardly comprises a source of concern..

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Especially if they watched the game. At the Murray sending off and the penalty I imagine they thought we'd dropped three points. Our joy must have been pretty well matched by their despair at what happened next

Exactly. This was psychologically a huge win for us as well as meaning SW are highly unlikely to catch us. We are clearly very strong mentally and other teams and managements must note this. You can't set up your team to counter this, it just is or it isn't.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be fair, the sample size for this brazen assertion is not vast. Midweek away games in winter in this season and last total just four: SW 3/11/15 0-0 (or is early Nov still autumn?), Rotherham 12/1/16 0-2 (suspect THE game that sticks in the mind) Hull 16/2/16 0-0 (promoted side); Blackburn 13/12/16 3-2. One bad result away in winter midweek games up North out of last 73 total matches hardly comprises a source of concern..
I suspect his sample size is a lot bigger than your's then. Going back to my uni. days at Liverpool I can recall many long, cold and pointless nights at the likes of Tranmere, Oldham, Preston and Southport. Points? I can't even remember us scoring any goals!
Obviously, you'll know we've never won a Hillsborough until this season - and I can't remember ever getting much joy at Hull or Rotherham either, Anyway, to go back over all those years would be a sample size nearer 2000 than 73!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I suspect his sample size is a lot bigger than your's then. Going back to my uni. days at Liverpool I can recall many long, cold and pointless nights at the likes of Tranmere, Oldham, Preston and Southport. Points? I can't even remember us scoring any goals!
Obviously, you'll know we've never won a Hillsborough until this season - and I can't remember ever getting much joy at Hull or Rotherham either, Anyway, to go back over all those years would be a sample size nearer 2000 than 73!

Fine if it is, so do the research and prove it, don't just make assertions based on getting cold and wet on the terraces long ago. Are you really serous that losing an away game at Southport in the 1960s has.ramifications for Huddersfield in 2017?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Fine if it is, so do the research and prove it, don't just make assertions based on getting cold and wet on the terraces long ago. Are you really serous that losing an away game at Southport in the 1960s has.ramifications for Huddersfield in 2017?

Of course not, but 30 plus years of struggling in games up North tends to stick in the mind

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here