Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Country Pub recommendation for great food

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's West but The Sportsman in Amberley offers amazing, well priced food and possibly some of the best views in Southern England. It's so good they have a load of binoculars for you to watch deer, buzzards and other birds of prey as you sup out in the garden/ viewing patio.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Been to many of these including the Cock Inn, Griffin and I was at the Jolly Sportsman last Saturday. All good BUT, the one you want, the answer to your question is...

The Coach and Horses in Danehill

We've been there twice this summer and had two family meals. Everything, every single last element, was exceptional. It's cheaper and at least on a par with than The Griffin or the Jolly Sportsman and just better than the Cock Inn. I honestly could not recommend it highly enough. Lovely beer garden too.
I agree - Coach and Horses is the correct answer in my experience.

I'll also mention The Hatch in Colemans Hatch - in the Ashdown forest. Nice pub, good food and lovely countryside.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
The Royal Oak in Wineham. Great food, beer straight out of the barrels, still don't even have an electronic till but really great food

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Shepherd and Dog is very good, excellent beer there too. I had a very nice meal at the Roebuck Inn in Laughton, it's run by the same people who have the Snowdrop in Lewes. in fact nowadays it's increasingly rare to find a totally shit village pub meal, they just don't survive without good food.

The snowdrop plus the Shepherd and dog. There's so many better places to go, it's days out from brighton by numbers there.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Another vote for the giants rest.

Plough and Harrow littlington. Could go on all day. We are very lucky.

recently dropped into the Red Lion, Lindfield - didn't look much from the outside - typical high street pub - but was pleasantly surprised by the food.
Also an all time favourite - the Fountain at Ashurst - nice garden

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Another vote for the giants rest.

Plough and Harrow littlington. Could go on all day. We are very lucky.

I like both those pubs but even though Cathy and Christophe are friends from when they had the Flying Fish I wouldn't say the giants rest is any better than the Dog and Shepherd.

Last edited:

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Another vote for The George at Burpham nr Arundel also The Walnut Tree Runcton nr Chichester (ate there Saturday) and the Black Horse at Clymping (was there last night) !

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A couple of things I think might be important to a couple of these recommendations.

Firstly the Abergavenny Arms at Rodmell, I have been there and enjoyed the beer and the pub generally for years even when it was formerly The Holly, it has always had a decent reputation for food, but cannot personally vouch for this as I tend to like doing my drinking without food, however a rather surprising and disappointing statistic is in their current hygiene score is an awkward 1 out of 5, yes 1 .... !!!!!

The second thing are the types of food expected in pubs, if I ever eat or recommend a dish to my kids etc. I always seem to think the deep fried stuff is a safe option, burgers, fish and chips are a staple that pubs usually deliver well.

Lastly a note on the Vintage Inns group of pubs, I like them accepting their generic nature, but their food is prepared by a young college kid who can expertly push a catering microwave button so dont expect too much and dont expect a decent sized portion of chips.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Another couple for the list are The Blackboys Inn......Blackboy, and also The Peacock at Piltdown, both very good

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I had a lovely roast beef on Sunday at the Red Lion in Handcross... before Much Ado About Nothing at Nymans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here