Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion knock back Newcastle bid for winger

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
It's crazy money but in this day and age not enough (think about even 3 years ago any player costing that)...... Ulloa was the first and only even remotely in that ball park. What was our highest ever other sale I wonder?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Not unless CH has a replacement of similar quality up his sleeve at a lower price. £10m is good but not in comparison to what he could help earn us by promotion.

We already have one. The best performance by a winger last season was by Solly March at home vs Birmingham. If AK goes, we'll have 5 hungry wingers (including the exciting young Björdal and Championship player of the month Lua Lua) plus Rosenior so I don't think we'd replace him. Skalak & the goal hungry Murphy will ensure competition for places is huge. That £10m could then be spent on our new STAR striker.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We already have one. The best performance by a winger last season was by Solly March at home vs Birmingham. If AK goes, we'll have 5 hungry wingers (including the exciting young Björdal and Championship player of the month Lua Lua) plus Rosenior so I don't think we'd replace him. Skalak & the goal hungry Murphy will ensure competition for places is huge. That £10m could then be spent on our new STAR striker.

Good effort but ,quite simply, Knockaert is in a different league to the our other wingers/attackers. He's got a blend of all of the others best attributes, none of the others come close to him IMO.

I wonder how Knocky would feel about moving to Newcastle, I wonder if it would echo his Leicester experience, chances are that if he gets promoted with us he'll still play in the Premier League, get promoted with Newcastle and he'll get flamed out like he did at Leicester? One thing you can say for sure is that Knockaert loves playing football, he's got more of a chance of having that long term here than Newcastle IMO, maybe that's something worth considering over money.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I still remember us refusing to sell Steve Penney to Arsenal and him getting injured soon afterwards and never being quite the same player.

There comes a point where the money being offered, and what an astute recruitment team could do with it, becomes impossible to turn down. I think £10m would be close to that amount. And as has been said, we're not short of wingers. £6 on a new striker, £3 on another central defender, and an improved contract offer to Solly March, not to mention a massive boost to Solly's confidence from us selling the player who would have kept him out of the team.

On the other hand, not selling him will be a statement to the rest of the squad and the rest of the division. So we can't lose in this situation unless we keep him and he gets injured. Or sulks.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

No comparison. March did well but still way behind Knockhaert in ability and assists. Bjordal is an exciting prospect but as yet untried. Lua Lua had 1 good month last season , the rest of the time after recovering from his injury he was poor. Skalak and Murphy are good reliable squad players but lack the flair and unexpected that we get from Knockhaert.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I still remember us refusing to sell Steve Penney to Arsenal and him getting injured soon afterwards and never being quite the same player.

There comes a point where the money being offered, and what an astute recruitment team could do with it, becomes impossible to turn down. I think £10m would be close to that amount. And as has been said, we're not short of wingers. £6 on a new striker, £3 on another central defender, and an improved contract offer to Solly March, not to mention a massive boost to Solly's confidence from us selling the player who would have kept him out of the team.

On the other hand, not selling him will be a statement to the rest of the squad and the rest of the division. So we can't lose in this situation unless we keep him and he gets injured. Or sulks.

I watched him training yesterday at the open day. No sign of any sulks. He was as enthusiastic as ever.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I watched him training yesterday at the open day. No sign on any sulks.

He is not the sulking type player. Some of the others would do in that position but not him.

He will have been told about the offer and there will have been subsequent discussions with the club and the clubs plans for the season. The offer has been there for ages and so far he hasn't indicated he wants to speak to Newcastle. There is a month do go before the window closes, so who knows what that will bring but you can only really take the situation as it is now.

He knows we want to keep him. We didn't release that story. I have a feeling if we can keep this out of the press then it will die down. It won't stop others continuing to stoke the media on it or other clubs coming into the mix but everything on this depends on the player himself. If we can convince him to stay then he will stay.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
He is not the sulking type player. Some of the others would do in that position but not him.

He will have been told about the offer and there will have been subsequent discussions with the club and the clubs plans for the season. The offer has been there for ages and so far he hasn't indicated he wants to speak to Newcastle. There is a month do go before the window closes, so who knows what that will bring but you can only really take the situation as it is now.

He knows we want to keep him. We didn't release that story. I have a feeling if we can keep this out of the press then it will die down. It won't stop others continuing to stoke the media on it or other clubs coming into the mix but everything on this depends on the player himself. If we can convince him to stay then he will stay.

I get the impression that this is maybe a case of Newcastle trying to unsettle him. They want him we have said no not at any price, yet there local rag and they way they talk they seem to be saying they will go to £10 million and will be able to get him. I think it is them trying to get him to be thinking about their interest

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No comparison. March did well but still way behind Knockhaert in ability and assists. Bjordal is an exciting prospect but as yet untried. Lua Lua had 1 good month last season , the rest of the time after recovering from his injury he was poor. Skalak and Murphy are good reliable squad players but lack the flair and unexpected that we get from Knockhaert.

He's also pretty useful at free kicks! Remember the one he scored late last season...the one off the line against Derby then the one that hit the woodwork (argggh) against SW

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The report says his price is "upwards of £10m" but its very ambiguous.
but then it also says "Brighton are desperate to hold on to Knockaert, signed from Standard Liege for £2.6million in January, and manager Chris Hughton is under no pressure to sell"

When we signed Knockaert I was told that the widely reported fee of £2.6m, which has been recycled many times since, was off the mark and we paid below £2m. Not that it really matters.

I watched him training yesterday at the open day. No sign of any sulks. He was as enthusiastic as ever.

Indeed. But [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] didn't suggest he is sulking. He said this could play out badly for us if Knockaert fancies the move, we don't allow it, and then he sulks. Future tense. Not present/past.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here