Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus Poyet in “throws toys out of the pram” SHOCKER

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And I am informed that my take was excessively harsh. I accept that there may well be vast amounts of information about which most of us have little or no insight.

I will be at the front of the queue in slagging off his ego and the way he treated this club and fans in the last couple of months (well since his childish comments after the St Patrick’s day massacre about “now being a good time to leave”). His ego is out of control BUT being expected to mount a European campaign with your best players sold without consultation would be enough to frustrate the hell out of any manager. Even one with the level headed patience of CH I imagine, so yes I do think old motor mouth has reason to moan this time.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I stood on the terraces at Peterborough for that game, and the chap next to me turned to me and said "are we dreaming?". Remember, we were top and Peterborough second, so it should have been a close game. Not even close. We hit the post twice and missed a penalty, and if we had won 6-0 it would not have been flattering. I remember smiling and having a warm feeling. After all the bad years, Gus did great things for us, and that cannot be erased.

I remember a comment from a Peterborough fan after the game laughing with a mate and saying “**** me I thought we were playing Brighton not Real Madrid” we were outstanding that day, even though Peterborough went down to 10 when CMS’s much superior teammate was sent off, can’t remember his name now.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I remember a comment from a Peterborough fan after the game laughing with a mate and saying “**** me I thought we were playing Brighton not Real Madrid” we were outstanding that day, even though Peterborough went down to 10 when CMS’s much superior teammate was sent off, can’t remember his name now.

George Boyd, I believe (haven't looked it up).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough

Leon McKenzie?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You count those brilliant games and you won't get past 10.People will member the Charlton game but forget the many dull games!!...The football was dull and negative a lot of the time...Thats more than the positives by a country mile
He had his moments but he was a parasite with no plan b and a stubborn ****.

Never liked him !!

We know you don't support the Albion, but I'll bite. Without trying too hard...

Southampton away
Charlton away
Peterborough away
Leyton Orient at home
The EIGHT wins in a row in one month
Dagenham & Redbridge at home
Walsall away
Doncaster at home
Southampton at home
Blackpool at home
Palace at home
Wolves at home

And those are the ones you can file under 'brilliant days'. Several more under 'really good days'.

As is customary for NSC, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Posters seem to be forgetting:-

Kuszczak to Greer to Bridcutt to El Abd to Bruno to Dicker to Greer to Kuszczak.

just as easy as they're reluctant to accept The St Patrick's Day Massacre.

Although TLO how many of those 'statement' victories were against teams deemed to be at least on a par or better than those Albion teams?

I (happy to be proven wrong) seem to have a memory of Gus' team(s) being flat track bullies, unable to raise their game for better teams.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Posters seem to be forgetting:-

Kuszczak to Greer to Bridcutt to El Abd to Bruno to Dicker to Greer to Kuszczak.

just as easy as they're reluctant to accept The St Patrick's Day Massacre.

Although TLO how many of those 'statement' victories were against teams deemed to be at least on a par or better than those Albion teams?

I (happy to be proven wrong) seem to have a memory of Gus' team(s) being flat track bullies, unable to raise their game for better teams.

It's kind of missing the point when talking about the quality of the opposition. Those days were brilliant in their own right, for various reasons.

And it has little merit to be considered a flat-track bully (i.e. only beating the smaller teams) when your main competitors can't beat them; Southampton losing at home to Plymouth; Sheff Wed getting spanked 5-1 at Exeter etc. But for the last four games of the 2010-11 season, we were 16 points ahead of the opposition.

That entire consideration of Gus' tenure appears to be merely to pass it around the back - as if we didn't attack. We were 5th top scorers in 2012/13, and scored three and five fewer goals in 2012/13 than we did in 2015/16 and 2106/17 respectively. It was the 'ball retention' approach which (a) got us promoted - nearly twice, and (b) has been used by subsequent managers. Sorry you were bored.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's kind of missing the point when talking about the quality of the opposition. Those days were brilliant in their own right, for various reasons.

And it has little merit to be considered a flat-track bully (i.e. only beating the smaller teams) when your main competitors can't beat them; Southampton losing at home to Plymouth; Sheff Wed getting spanked 5-1 at Exeter etc. But for the last four games of the 2010-11 season, we were 16 points ahead of the opposition.

That entire consideration of Gus' tenure appears to be merely to pass it around the back - as if we didn't attack. We were 5th top scorers in 2012/13, and scored three and five fewer goals in 2012/13 than we did in 2015/16 and 2106/17 respectively. It was the 'ball retention' approach which (a) got us promoted - nearly twice, and (b) has been used by subsequent managers. Sorry you were bored.

I don't think I am missing the point, suggesting a Poyet team could only 'do it' when they were playing a team already beaten.

The 2012/13 goals scored statistic is erroneous and you know it.
15 of those goals came from just 3 games, all against teams that ended the season in the bottom half of the table.

That season the Albion drew their way to 4th, drawing 18 games, the most in that division.

Shirley a team capable of scoring 15 goals in 3 games, ought to be capable of turning some of those 18 draws into wins?

Edit - Oh dear god I've just realised what's happened.
I take all of it back, everything was great under Poyet, you were right I was wrong, sorry for troubling you, bye.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think I am missing the point, suggesting a Poyet team could only 'do it' when they were playing a team already beaten.

The 2012/13 goals scored statistic is erroneous and you know it.
15 of those goals came from just 3 games, all against teams that ended the season in the bottom half of the table.

That season the Albion drew their way to 4th, drawing 18 games, the most in that division.

Shirley a team capable of scoring 15 goals in 3 games, ought to be capable of turning some of those 18 draws into wins?

Fear of losing, especially against the top teams meant the team often played with “the handbrake on” I agree but when we were good we were fecking good!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It's impossible to prove an opinion wrong.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’s so arrogant, he’d never admit this when he looks back, but his Albion tenure was his golden managerial role (until he started chasing the money and whinging through press soundbites).

If he’d kept his head down working, over time TB would naturally have improved the squad.

Poyet is rich but forever a miserable job hopper.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fear of losing, especially against the top teams meant the team often played with “the handbrake on” I agree but when we were good we were fecking good!

No, no, no - take all of it back, everything was shite under Poyet. The table lied when it said we scored 69 goals (the 5th highest). We are flat-track bullies. We only got 14 points off the top six that year. Everyone else beat us by, er...

18 - Cardiff (1st)
14 - Brighton (4th)
14 - Watford (3rd)
13 - Palace (5th)
9 - Hull (2nd)
8 - Leicester (6th)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We know you don't support the Albion, but I'll bite. Without trying too hard...

Southampton away
Charlton away
Peterborough away
Leyton Orient at home
The EIGHT wins in a row in one month
Dagenham & Redbridge at home
Walsall away
Doncaster at home
Southampton at home
Blackpool at home
Palace at home
Wolves at home

And those are the ones you can file under 'brilliant days'. Several more under 'really good days'.

Pompey away first away following promotion.

Reckon if looked it up could list about 50

Nob comment from the bloke who said 10

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I stood on the terraces at Peterborough for that game, and the chap next to me turned to me and said "are we dreaming?". Remember, we were top and Peterborough second, so it should have been a close game. Not even close. We hit the post twice and missed a penalty, and if we had won 6-0 it would not have been flattering. I remember smiling and having a warm feeling. After all the bad years, Gus did great things for us, and that cannot be erased.

I had that match on Radio Sussex, whilst on a garden project! The commentary was incredible. Against a highly rated (especially at home) Posh team, the Albion destroyed them, it could’ve been any score. Joe Lewis in goal made save after save.

The same with Charlton away.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No, no, no - take all of it back, everything was shite under Poyet. The table lied when it said we scored 69 goals (the 5th highest). We are flat-track bullies. We only got 14 points off the top six that year. Everyone else beat us by, er...

18 - Cardiff (1st)
14 - Brighton (4th)
14 - Watford (3rd)
13 - Palace (5th)
9 - Hull (2nd)
8 - Leicester (6th)

If you really choose to blank the games where we were much the better team but didn’t make that count and/or lost because we didn’t go for the kill that’s fine. I have different memories, of many games we didn’t win that we should have. Where have I said things were shite? It was more a case of we could have got auto under Poyet with more ambition and then we wouldn’t have had to endure THAT game. All about opinions though and yours isn’t necessarily right so no need for the sarcasm.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If you really choose to blank the games where we were much the better team but didn’t make that count and/or lost because we didn’t go for the kill that’s fine. I have different memories, of many games we didn’t win that we should have. Where have I said things were shite? It was more a case of we could have got auto under Poyet with more ambition and then we wouldn’t have had to endure THAT game. All about opinions though and yours isn’t necessarily right so no need for the sarcasm.

I was parroting another poster, who said our goals total was wrong, and that we were merely 'flat-track bullies'.

Apologies, a bit too subtle...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was parroting another poster, who said our goals total was wrong, and that we were merely 'flat-track bullies'.

Apologies, a bit too subtle...[/QUOTE]

You just can’t help yourself can you? :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here