Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wolves at it again

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Most clubs spend around 50 million to try and stay up the first season. Both Fulham and Wolves have set the bar again. Could be 80 million.

Cardiff are screwed. They have spent little and all their signings are from the Championship.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
And now Zinchenko from Citeh !! If these gel as a team quickly Top 8 at least is on for them.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It is going to be a bloodbath next season with Wolves and Fulham making the signings they are making, what is the likelihood of all three promoted sides staying up again? I think we have to hope the likes of Southampton and Huddersfield struggle again.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
It is going to be a bloodbath next season with Wolves and Fulham making the signings they are making, what is the likelihood of all three promoted sides staying up again? I think we have to hope the likes of Southampton and Huddersfield struggle again.

I'm not even expecting points off Fulham and Wolves now. it's not just that Wolves are signing players- it's who they are signing. All these players know each other. There will be very little settling in time. They have incredible options in midfield.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I keep thinking of QPR for some reason.

That turned out well.

All of these players are expected to gel, but many have never played in England. They are going to be up against seasoned Premier League teams who won't give them a second on the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if Cardiff finished above both Fulham and Wolves this season.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove

That turned out well.

All of these players are expected to gel, but many have never played in England. They are going to be up against seasoned Premier League teams who won't give them a second on the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if Cardiff finished above both Fulham and Wolves this season.

at last a voice of reason, well said

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

That turned out well.

Do you not think they'll gel because they've all played with each other? Pretty much. They share a language. They're probably even friends.
I think they've been (unintentionally) savvy. Moutinho has played over a hundred times for Portugal, Patricio 70 odd. These are seriously experienced and quality players- and they're joining a team where the first language is basically Portuguese. They will have played or at least know some of their new team mates. The manager is Portuguese. Even Jimenez has been playing at Benfica.

I don't know why people on here are writing them off so readily.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Wolves will do well.

I'm not so sure about Fulham, the pundits are creaming themselves because they've heard of Schurrle but what's he actually done in the last 3 years? Mitrovic is still unproven at this level. Mawson, Chambers and Seri are good signings, but having watched them in the playoffs they needed good signings just to bring them up to par.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Do you not think they'll gel because they've all played with each other? Pretty much. They share a language. They're probably even friends.
I think they've been (unintentionally) savvy. Moutinho has played over a hundred times for Portugal, Patricio 70 odd. These are seriously experienced and quality players- and they're joining a team where the first language is basically Portugese. They will have played or at least know some of their new team mates. The manager is Portugese. Even Jimenez has been playing at Benfica.

I don't know why people on here are writing them off so readily.

The best way to survive as a newly promoted team is to batten down the hatches and weather the storm. Their first instinct is going to be play attacking football, and they will be stunned by the pace at which opponents press them and catch them on the counter.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Most clubs spend around 50 million to try and stay up the first season. Both Fulham and Wolves have set the bar again. Could be 80 million.

Cardiff are screwed. They have spent little and all their signings are from the Championship.

Good post. With £100m of extra broadcasting income, newly promoted clubs seem to spend £40m to £50m in transfer fees in the first summer window, with a huge increase in player wages too.

Wolves and Fulham are going for £100m in fees alone in the first summer, including well known 'names' and internationals.

I recall [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] explaining that there are PL rules too on financial fair play. We won't see the Fulham and West Ham 2018/19 accounts for another 18 months, but I wonder how the hell they can spend double that of Hudd and Brighton?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wolves will do well.

I'm not so sure about Fulham, the pundits are creaming themselves because they've heard of Schurrle but what's he actually done in the last 3 years? Mitrovic is still unproven at this level. Mawson, Chambers and Seri are good signings, but having watched them in the playoffs they needed good signings just to bring them up to par.

A radio show today, which included football writers and ex-PL players, predicted comfortable top half finishes next May for Fulham and Wolves.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here