Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can't remember why Slagter didn't ride Brabantse Pijl on Wednesday and how that'll affect his Ardennes campaign. Also seem to remember reading somewhere about Dan Martin suffering badly from allergies etc. so having trouble at the moment. All very sketchy but that's as far as my interest has got so far.

I've had no betting luck really beyond Stannard so far this season so might just take a break for a bit. The likes of AVV and Kwia and even big Phil who might show again at last will all be so short they're not be worth it unless going big, and I've no intention of starting that lark.

MediGull

Nov 14, 2011
Brighton
One of 'us' did a cat 2 today. I've never seen a Strava elevation chart go so high! Chapeau fella, chapeau.

If this is referring to my ride yesterday (I did manage a cat 2 climb) then I feel honored to have got a mention. BUT I must hasten to add that although i did complete the climb I was most definitely in granny gear on my triple from bottom to top!

That said if anyone fancies some fairly serious alps style climbing but in the UK then head to North wales. With 2000 metres of climbing over 97km of riding and including a cat 2 and a cat 4 it was pretty good fun yesterday and quite possible to rack up much more if you're a serious hill climber.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If this is referring to my ride yesterday (I did manage a cat 2 climb) then I feel honored to have got a mention. BUT I must hasten to add that although i did complete the climb I was most definitely in granny gear on my triple from bottom to top!

That said if anyone fancies some fairly serious alps style climbing but in the UK then head to North wales. With 2000 metres of climbing over 97km of riding and including a cat 2 and a cat 4 it was pretty good fun yesterday and quite possible to rack up much more if you're a serious hill climber.

You did the climb. On your bike. Don't let ANYONE tell you that it's not as impressive with a granny gear. Sod the Velominati.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I went for my first ride of 2014 yesterday, first ride on my new bike too. It hurt so much! I use Strava on my iPhone as I've not had my Garmin watch repaired yet. I was thinking about a proper cycle computer, this thread has been very informative. Thanks again :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How many miles will The Geeks clock up today?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

How does this cat thing work, who decides?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
First ton of the year for me! 102.
So far today that just over 200 miles logged by the 5 of us.

So that'll be an average of just over 40 miles each, I'm happy with that :whistle: :lolol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
First ton of the year for me! 102.

Chapeau!

Training going well for l'etape then? What sort of terrain was that ride over and what average speed did you have?

I'd love to get to the stage where I could do a 100 mile ride by the end of this Summer, but I've a long long way to go yet.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Chapeau!

Training going well for l'etape then? What sort of terrain was that ride over and what average speed did you have?

I'd love to get to the stage where I could do a 100 mile ride by the end of this Summer, but I've a long long way to go yet.

Training's going really well, thanks. Over 6,000 feet of climbing, which included Ditchling Beacon after 68 miles...I'm not good on the Beacon, but dropped under 10 minutes for the first time.

Average speed, 15.4mph.

I rode solo today, but loved it. D'you know, I think I'm approaching fitness!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Chapeau!

Those days are a long way behind me.
But the key to doing 100 is knowing you can do 80 miles.
When the prospect of 80 miles doesn't fill you with dread, take a week off the bike and any other exercise.
Then go out and do it, the digging deep for the last 10 will make the reward all the greater.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Training's going really well, thanks. Over 6,000 feet of climbing, which included Ditchling Beacon after 68 miles...I'm not good on the Beacon, but dropped under 10 minutes for the first time.

Average speed, 15.4mph.

I rode solo today, but loved it. D'you know, I think I'm approaching fitness!

D'you know, I think you are! (not that I speak from personal experience you understand)

Superb stuff! :clap2:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
So far today that just over 200 miles logged by the 5 of us.

So that'll be an average of just over 40 miles each, I'm happy with that :whistle: :lolol:

Looking at that NSC Geeks club on Strava...whatever happened to [MENTION=2878]Woodchip[/MENTION]? I know he moved to the other side of the world and all, but they do cycle there. I mean, Jack Bauer!

And [MENTION=25389]Jay Cartwright[/MENTION]. Did he stop cycling?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Those days are a long way behind me.
But the key to doing 100 is knowing you can do 80 miles.
When the prospect of 80 miles doesn't fill you with dread, take a week off the bike and any other exercise.
Then go out and do it, the digging deep for the last 10 will make the reward all the greater.

I may have to set off very early if I'm to ever make it home before dark on a Summer's day 100 miler :lol:

Current times on 50 - 60 miles is around the 4 hour mark. God knows what time I'd have to add on if ever I were to double the distance!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I may have to set off very early if I'm to ever make it home before dark on a Summer's day 100 miler :lol:

Current times on 50 - 60 miles is around the 4 hour mark. God knows what time I'd have to add on if ever I were to double the distance!
I doubt it.
I bet by the time you were 'comfortably' in the 80 mile zone, you'll not be doubling that time, as well as the distance.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Is it just me, or is it really hard to get right up for Amstel Gold Race?

I'll still be watching live from 1pm tomorrow, but perhaps after Flanders & Paris-Roubaix anything else just feels a bit of a let down until the Giro starts :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here