Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hudds to hand 'arry a lifeline?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It should be based on the Aussie system, adopted by RL SuperLeague.

All of these as one-off matches (not two legs):

a) 3rd v 4th - winner to Wembley final, loser gets second chance in the second round match below
b) 5th v 6th - winner to second round, loser out
c) second round: winner to Wembley final, loser out

Not only is that fairer, but there is motivation for play off sides to finish as high as possible. Why is that so difficult?

Don't like the idea of team getting a second chance. Makes a mockery of the whole thing. It's a no from me.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Birmingham's manager change mid season has to be the worst decision of all time by a club. It has virtually been catastrophic and will be if they are relegated which is very much a reality. The board deserve a couple of seasons in league one to reflect on their own undoing.

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
You can be sure that we'll be making changes for this game. Our little squad has shown the signs of creaking over the past few weeks, hence surrendering 2nd spot. That win last night was huge as it allows us two and a half weeks of resting up for the players that have put in 40+ games so far this year. PLayers like Kachunga, Smith and Schindler have been on their arse the past few weeks.

That said, our 2nd 11 gave City a good couple of games in the cup :)

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Maybe the hungry back-ups will get a result the shattered starters wouldn't. That could be good or bad but either way is up to the manager and teams should be left alone. Yes it might affect others but they have the right to do what they view is best for themselves.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You can be sure that we'll be making changes for this game. Our little squad has shown the signs of creaking over the past few weeks, hence surrendering 2nd spot. That win last night was huge as it allows us two and a half weeks of resting up for the players that have put in 40+ games so far this year. PLayers like Kachunga, Smith and Schindler have been on their arse the past few weeks.

When did you surrender 2nd spot? October?

Edit - just checked, Hudds surrendered 2nd spot on 15th October 2016.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Don't like the idea of team getting a second chance. Makes a mockery of the whole thing. It's a no from me.

I'm really torn on it, because it feels like a better reward for finishing in a higher position than a minor advantage in the home/away leg order, but I also don't like a second chance. I'm also not sure how fair it is to make the 5th or 6th team play an extra game.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I wouldn't be shocked to see any changes adding 2 extra spaces

1st round

5v8

6 v 7

Second round

3 rd v winner of 6 v 7

4th v winner of 5v8

Final

Winner of second round ties

1 off games with the higher teams having home ground advantage

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
They want to avoid Fulham.

It could be very hard to try and manipulate results to avoid Fulham given they play Massive last game and the result of that game may determine whether they are fifth or sixth, or even fourth depending on what happens this weekend.

If Massive and Fulham both win this weekend they can effectively play out a draw to qualify for the playoffs. A Leeds win would keep them three points adrift of Fulham with a goal difference of potentially minus ten

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm really torn on it, because it feels like a better reward for finishing in a higher position than a minor advantage in the home/away leg order, but I also don't like a second chance. I'm also not sure how fair it is to make the 5th or 6th team play an extra game.

It's like when a team is dumped out of the Champions league and then are rewarded with a Europa place. It's a joke

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Yep. Big advantage now as the semi final could be as little as 6 days after the league season ends.

Those playoff games are now the focus for Huddersfield, the 2 remaining league games are practice matches.

Genuinely best wishes to you. The season is over in an instant if you don't get to Wembley.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yep. Big advantage now as the semi final could be as little as 6 days after the league season ends.

Those playoff games are now the focus for Huddersfield, the 2 remaining league games are practice matches.

Genuinely best wishes to you. The season is over in an instant if you don't get to Wembley.

It's an odd feeling losing at the semi-final stage, as in your mind you've half got a plan worked out for getting tickets etc for Wembley, but suddenly it's all over. The suddenness does really depend upon how close the game is. Derby away was NOT a surprise

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I don't understand this argument. The play-offs themselves are a second chance (without the play-offs, the team finishing third would be automatically promoted).

If you ARE going to have play-offs (and I do understand the rationale behind their introduction) the suggested format is a much fairer system because it rewards how a team has performed over the entire season rather than just one or two matches which happen to fall at the end of the season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd have the top 3 going up, with 4th, 5th and 6th playing off with the 17th placed team in the Premier League.

Hang on. No I wouldn't.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wasnt that how the original play offs worked.when they started them.

Almost. I think it was top 2 went up, then 3rd, 4th, 5th + the team that finished 3rd bottom of the old First Division. That was only done once, in the very first season of the Playoffs.

Reason being, Middlesbrough beat Chelsea over 2 legs in the Final, relegating them at Stamford Bridge to take their place in the First Division (I believe the Final was a home-and-away jobbie as opposed to a 1-off at Wembley). Chelsea fans duley went out and rioted, tore the place up, so it was decided the stakes for a relegation playoff were just too high and they were binned in favour of promotion playoffs only.

Shame. I love the concept of a relegation playoff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here