Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] My father and the Goldstone

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Great read. Lost my dad in ‘96 so he never saw the closure of the Goldstone. Took me to my first game in 1964 against Lincoln. Could hardly see a thing in the chicken run. Just a few tantalising glimpses of the grass. Magical memories.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Great read Al and sorry for your loss.

My Dad also took me to my first Goldstone game and also recently passed away so know how you are feeling.

Stay strong & remember the good times and know now that they are in a better more peaceful place.

RIP Our Dads

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Lovely read, thank you for sharing that and sorry for your loss...

I’ve been taking my young boys to the Amex for a number of years now and it’s been a delight to see their love for the Albion grow with each match they attend - I hope that they have similar memories and are able to reminisce like that in 40 years time!

That reminds me that I need to get their tickets for Man Utd this morning, they’re both really looking forward to that one :albion2:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Sorry for your sad loss.
Dads, who needs them. If you're a Dad do your kids a favour and DON'T take them to the Amex, it will only end up a lifetime of fun/misery for them.
Mine also took me for the first time early 70's and I returned the favour for my late Daughter.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing Al. All the best to you.

Really enjoyed reading that.

Cheers, Mac.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm so sorry to hear that Al.
It made reading your story even more poignant and worthwile for Albion fans of a certain age.. As its of course a story some of us know very well.
My Dad introduced me to the Goldstone in 1973 and 45 years later i sit next to him, now a Granddad, in the West Stand Upper with my teenage sons who've been fans for nearly a decade now..
And this is of course what football is really about...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What a lovely story mate. Reminded me of my Dad who I lost a few years ago. The timeframe matches too.

My dad used to bring a little stool with red leather on the top and I used to stand on it to see.

I'm sorry for your loss.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
the toilets were just a wall to pee against

And the splashback could sometimes be... awkward.

the bloke that used to walk around with that board over his shoulder early in the second half

"Get that bloody board down..."

cigarette smoke

Everyone smoked in the North Stand it seemed. Even those who didn't.

The over-riding smells of the day...

Goldstone - Cigarette smoke and rancid chip fat
Gillingham - decay
Withdean - curry sauce on chips
Amex - the pies

My dads still around and I treated him to a 1901 seat,but now he finds it too much, but memories of childhood and youth are mixed with the Albion and football.

The best memories known to man. Cherish and enjoy...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Good read and nice tribute to your dad.

My dad had no interest in football so had one of his work colleagues take me to the Goldstone for the first couple of seasons. Dad only ever came to one game with me. That was when I won two tickets for the directors box. I must have been 12 or 13 at the time. Dad enjoyed the game (although could never be persuaded to go again). I hated having to sit down and shut up and couldn't wait to return to my usual place in the North Stand.

I only had the one game with dad, but I remember that matchday more than so many others.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm so sorry to hear that Al.
It made reading your story even more poignant and worthwile for Albion fans of a certain age.. As its of course a story some of us know very well.
My Dad introduced me to the Goldstone in 1973 and 45 years later i sit next to him, now a Granddad, in the West Stand Upper with my teenage sons who've been fans for nearly a decade now..
And this is of course what football is really about...

Same here, 41 years later I still sit with my father and brother...albeit he’s in the row behind as he’s now wheelchair bound.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
What a wonderful thing it must be to have an Albion dad - this is a rotten time my old mate and our family's thoughts are with you.

My dad didn't like football and would never have taken me to the Goldstone. He had a friend though, a builder, who had a seat in the West Stand. He used to shovel me through a turnstile in the south west corner - almost certainly the one now in the museum - and I'd mill around that little paddock next to the dug outs for the next two hours by myself. I would have been eight when it began.

Nineteen years later we started taking our own children to the Goldstone. They were four and two, kicking tins around the chicken run. And now I'm an Albion granddad, sitting next to an Albion granny. And often with our own eight-year-old sitting between us. The family dynasty started late, but it seems to be rolling now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And the splashback could sometimes be... awkward.

"Get that bloody board down..."

Everyone smoked in the North Stand it seemed. Even those who didn't.

The over-riding smells of the day...

Goldstone - Cigarette smoke and rancid chip fat
Gillingham - decay
Withdean - curry sauce on chips
Amex - the pies

The best memories known to man. Cherish and enjoy...

As a kid at the Goldstone in the 70’s, I can still recall the smell of beer and Scotch from the adults. Including from my Dad.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
And some of the farts in the north stand were particularly eye watering

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Condolences to you and yours.

My Dad took me to my first game in 1991. I think it was against Wycombe. I remember him starting a slow clap all on his own as one of their players had gone down injured. Before long he had the entire West joining in. I thought he was some sort of Superman and my opinion hasn't been changed since.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Condolences Al.

My Dad introduced me to the Albion, also at the Goldstone; my first game was sometime in 1977, but I don't recall much about it at all.. glad you have such a vivid memory of your first game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here