Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Barry

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For those that are saying he's too old, remind us all how old our very own POTS is, and how many games he missed last season? Players can carry on until much older due to their outrageous fitness levels.

He's only slightly older than someone Man U appear to be about to splash quarter of a million quid a WEEK on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we lose Stephens or Kayal he would be the perfect anchor man in midfield Even at 35 years old he will still have the legs and what the legs give up on the experience will guide him through. So subject to sensible wage demands he would be a yes from me.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Crazy suggestion. Doubt he'll be leaving Everton (although I can't be asked to check), if he did he'd have his pick of at least half a dozen prem teams, and isn't he on ridiculous money?
About as much chance as us signing Wayne Rooney.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just signed for West Brom until the end of the season.

Along with Ryan Giggs he must have one of the longest careers in the top flight since Sky took over.

Just checked - Giggs had 672 appearances and Barry has 628 and counting. I looked up Sir Stanley Matthews' record and although he played 697 games, some of those for Stoke at the beginning and end of his career were in the second division.

I can't find any list detailing players who have played top flight games other than those listing just PL appearances. Can anyone help?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Along with Ryan Giggs he must have one of the longest careers in the top flight since Sky took over.

Just checked - Giggs had 672 appearances and Barry has 628 and counting. I looked up Sir Stanley Matthews' record and although he played 697 games, some of those for Stoke at the beginning and end of his career were in the second division.

I can't find any list detailing players who have played top flight games other than those listing just PL appearances. Can anyone help?

Shilton, 1005 ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_records_in_England

Edit - this looks better

http://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_top_player/eng-premier-league/1/

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I tried but only came up with this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._and_Scotland_by_number_of_league_appearances

As well as donating money to a local ESFL side my favourite Gareth Barry moment was Autumn 1998 and he'd run the show at The City Ground and set up all the goals according to 5Live...................saw him in the taxi rank in Hastings that night! Had travelled home and was on the lash like any other kid and no heirs and graces. He wrote a cheque for £5k for the local football team I heard.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Unless my maths is off Shilton played 847 top flight games. Looks like you're spot on [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As a fellow Hastings boy, I would have loved it if he'd ended up signing for us. Never mind.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Peter Shilton's record is quite phenomenal. It's also worth bearing in mind that even though he's long held the record with 125 England caps, the England goalkeeping duties often worked on a rotation system between Shilton and Ray Clemence who won a more than respectable 62 caps himself. If Clemence hadn't been around then Shilton would be the world record holder for most international appearances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here