Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now we're Premier League have you rethought your opinion on......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
......anything that you previously had a strong viewpoint on the other way.

In line with the TWO threads about the transfer window shutting early does your opinion on this feel different now than it would have been if we were in the Championship?

Another example I noticed as did [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] on FB is no longer wanting the underdog to win PL matches. I was behind Arsenal v Leicester, wanted Liverpool to beat Watford and annoyed that Burnley won. We could be competing with any of these 3 this season.

Or, how would you want us to vote if it was proposed (and it hasn't been, this is hypothetical) that the PL become a closed shop after this season with the current 20 members staying put and no promotion or relegation?

In short has being PL changed your mindset and, if so, what on?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm with you on point one but the idea of the PL becoming a closed shop is awful.

100% this

It would kill gates for the bottom 14.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I suppose it's no revelation but looking round the ground on Saturday, and all the media attention, made me realise what a huge machine the league is. So little of it is the actual football, it's all branding, rights, tv, adverts, transfer 'news'. It's all just money, money, money and it will surely one day cease. Especially with tv viewing figures nosediving of late. We're inside the belly of this evil machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Nothing really changed for me, still love to see liverpool and tottenham lose, or fail to win, even more so if it's a small club that does it.

Transfer window, meh, there will still be ridiculous hype about it, if they want to make a change then close it before the season starts, but keep it open till Xmas for the teams that got promoted who've not been in the league for say five seasons, gives them a chance to analyse the league and understand what they need to compete.

As for the closed shop, no, don't ever want to see that, and hopefully the clubs will vote accordingly should they be asked to, there's way too much history in our league system to throw it out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
For clarity I would never be in favour of a closed shop either - just wondered if anyone else would.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For clarity I would never be in favour of a closed shop either - just wondered if anyone else would.

I imagine pretty well all the current Premier League clubs would, much like the Bolton chairman a few years ago.

Maybe the top six would feel secure enough not to want to keep the same teams year in year out though. Three up and three down is great for the publicity and retaining interest thoug I imagine. Actually I know it having seen the media hype around us in the last month.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If the premier league clubs voted for a closed shop I would hope that the FA would have some way of preventing it - by withdrawing permission to play football under FA rules for example?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Definitely stopped supporting underdogs. In previous seasons I'd have laughed like a drain at Chelsea losing at home to Burnley, this season I'm disappointed that one of our relegation rivals picked up three unexpected points. And bloody Liverpool let us down.

And I haven't cheered a third Man U goal since 1968 against Benfica.

EDIT: I'm still totally opposed to the idea of a closed shop though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm with you on point one but the idea of the PL becoming a closed shop is awful.

I've said this before, but I can see a time (in the mid- to long-term and if things stay as they are) where there are 17 permanent PL clubs and six others that alternate between the Championship and the PL. The rich clubs will continue to get richer and (although it doesn't happen as often as people think) the relegated clubs will bounce back at the first time of asking because they have the extra money. But then they will be at a disadvantage because they haven't got as much power as the other 17 they are going up against the following seasons.

I know it's not all about money, but the divide between the two divisions is huge and is only going to become more apparent as time goes on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Golden Delicious apples.

I was always a Granny Smith guy, and although I still wouldn't call them delicious, my strong opinion on their rankness has now abated.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Can you imagine the howls of anguish from European Champions Leeds, MASSIVE Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County, and all the other Championship clubs who consider themselves better than us and Udders, if that happened. It would almost be worth it for that alone, but, seriously, it's an awful idea.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Nothing has changed for me. I want the teams that pose the biggest threat to be beaten- but that's the same as any league.

It does still all feel a bit strange.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Transfer window - I have always felt it should end at the start of the season

ABMANU - (anybody but manu") and the others in the top six, has definitely changed. I even had a very very small ting of disappointment that Palace wasn't nil nil on Saturday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great question. Definitely looking for those teams I expect to be around us at the end of the season to be losing, but I can't quite go as far as wanting the likes of Man U and Chelsea to win........however much it will help us. Will be interesting to see how things look after half a dozen games.

As [MENTION=4381]elwheelio[/MENTION] indicates, it was only on Saturday that the magnitude of the PL really hit me. I've been to several PL games before, but seeing all the guff at the Amex where we're not used to it was a actually a bit surreal - for example we get a good view of our players warming up from our seats, but this was half-obscured by TV gear and pre-match presenting going on. The number of TV trucks in the car park was staggering. Drones. The number of cameras filming the game. I also watched the full match back again on TV on Sunday......still seemed surreal then (the atmosphere was easily better than any of the other PL TV games I've seen this season)

I don't see things crashing and burning for a long time yet. It's still growing in newer markets like India and China where the populations (and advertising revenue) are enormous.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I realized at the weekend I wanted the big boys to win and take points off of our potential rivals. It annoyed me a little.

Not much else has changed, still think there is too much money at this level and some of it needs to filter down, parachute payments are too high and give an unfair advantage and there is not enough incentive to buy or play young English players at this level regardless of who you are.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Great question. Definitely looking for those teams I expect to be around us at the end of the season to be losing, but I can't quite go as far as wanting the likes of Man U and Chelsea to win........however much it will help us. Will be interesting to see how things look after half a dozen games.
Believe you me it was really, REALLY weird. It just came over me, like a wave of nausea.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I suppose it's no revelation but looking round the ground on Saturday, and all the media attention, made me realise what a huge machine the league is. So little of it is the actual football, it's all branding, rights, tv, adverts, transfer 'news'. It's all just money, money, money and it will surely one day cease. Especially with tv viewing figures nosediving of late. We're inside the belly of this evil machine, and the machine is bleeding to death.
This!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This will make me sound very naive but oh well: I'm still rooting for the underdogs. Nothing I like more than seeing one of the big boys on the wrong end of a result. It may make our situation slightly tougher in the long run but I'd rather we survive on our own merit instead of relying on three other teams being slightly more shit than us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here