Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friendly v Norwich

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Unless we sign 3-4 quality players, ideally before the new season starts, I seriously believe we could end up with the lowest ever total of points in the Premier League. Please let's not run the risk of this and strive to get our transfer business finished soon.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Unless we sign 3-4 quality players, ideally before the new season starts, I seriously believe we could end up with the lowest ever total of points in the Premier League. Please let's not run the risk of this and strive to get our transfer business finished soon.

Love your posts.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

You think our current squad is inferior to Huddersfields???

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Boing.

Are you supporting the "other" Albion?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Wow there is no helping you then.

Hudds will finish above us without some serious strengthening; and soon. Without it, I'd wager £50 to REMF that Hudds will finish above us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hudds will finish above us without some serious strengthening; and soon. Without it, I'd wager £50 to REMF that Hudds will finish above us.
"Serious strengthening" - well it may happen, but the only signings of note to expect are a central midfielder and a striker. 2 players.

If we are lucky, then Mateju will be good enough as the right back recruit. Under 21, so would mean we could get a further additional bonus attacker in.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Completely wrong. Many very good players are trapped in what amounts to a chain (like in house purchases). Until the window approaches its conclusion, some of the best players simply won't be released by their clubs. When the top of the chain moves, everything else cascades down from that. If you've shot your budget already, you'll miss out on these. But of course, you run the risk of not having players for the first few games and also missing out altogether.

That's the gamble/risk!!

This. Would be good if the club had someone who was able to bluff his way through such a scenario [emoji106][emoji106]

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

Blimey, worse than Derby? They were promoted via the Play Offs and ended up with 11 points and just the one win.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Blimey, worse than Derby? They were promoted via the Play Offs and ended up with 11 points and just the one win.

As it stands I am not feeling confident at all but we should still easily exceed the Derby total. For me, it is absolutely vital that we bring in genuine quality in at least 3 positions. We are in desperate need of another left sided attacking option, a goalscorer who can thrive as a lone striker and a more pacey/athletic central midfielder.

I do get the logic behind our recruitment strategy but so far we've really only shored up a strong championship squad while adding another tactical option in Gross/Brown. I think both offer interesting potential but they are totally unknown quantities at premier league level. Right now, I think we will end up regretting not being more ruthless in moving some players out and getting our key signings in earlier. It's a tough market right now but it's the same for everyone else and we've already been overtaken by the one team which started the window with a weaker squad.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I can see Hudd doing a Bournemouth in their first PL season. Wagner and Dean Hoyle have adopted the approach no holds barred and they won't go down with a load of ifs and maybes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Eh? Look at Newcastle, in a similar position to us having just got promoted. Obviously they are a bigger club and have a larger stadium but they have made a similar number of additions to us and will have a far bigger transfer budget I'd imagine. Huddersfield have gone for the different approach of bringing loads of new players in early, it could work or most of them could turn out to be not Premier League quality and they will have loads of average players on bumper wages.

My point is, is that Newcastle are also probably trying to go down the route of seeking out high quality players. It isn't as simple as splashing the cash as some seem to think.

Newcastle so far:
Atsu
Lejeune
Murphy
Manquillo
Merino

Brighton, Huddersfield and Newcastle each have £100m of new money, over and above their 2016/17 income. Allowing for £30m of ours being taken up by simply covering annual accounting losses, that leaves £70m plus new sponsorship income, for new players wages, wage increases and the first year's amortisation ONLY of new player transfer fees (or first year's ONLY instalments of transfer fees payable in cash flow terms).

Still a huge sum, which Hudd & Newcastle have got on with in spending.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Newcastle so far:
Atsu
Lejeune
Murphy
Manquillo
Merino

Brighton, Huddersfield and Newcastle each have £100m of new money, over and above their 2016/17 income. Allowing for £30m of ours being taken up by simply covering annual accounting losses, that leaves £70m plus new sponsorship income, for new players wages, wage increases and the first year's amortisation ONLY of new player transfer fees (or first year's ONLY instalments of transfer fees payable in cash flow terms).

Still a huge sum, which Hudd & Newcastle have got on with in spending.

I can't help thinking that both clubs have shown, so far at least, a greater appreciation of what is necessary to survive in the Premier League than we have.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Worth noting that of Newcastles five signings only one of them was seen as a replacement or fill in. Atsu was signed after being on loan. The other 4 have all been new additions to strengthen the starting 11.

Brighton have signed 4 players, 2 are replacements in Suttner and Ryan, upgrades for sure but they are replacements no less. Brown isn't a player who will be in the starting 11 from the looks of things but rather a quality competition in the attacking area. That leaves Gross as our ONLY new addition to the squad that adds to the squad as opposed to replacing any. We've replaced our losses and signed 1 player that makes the first 11 better. With 2 weeks to go. If we don't buy a CM and a ST that are immediate starters and upgrades on what we have we're going to end up exactly like Boro, not letting in many and scoring jack shit, going down with no fight at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here