Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Shaqiri - Deal of the day

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Coutinho is the best player that I have ever seen live against the Albion, although Shaqiri is an excellent player he is nowhere near the class of Coutinho imo. Coutinho was one of the first names on the team sheet, Shaqiri will do very well to be as important to Liverpool, again imo.

Absolutely agree, and suspect I worded my comment poorly. As I see it, Liverpool have adapted their style to play without a Coutinho-type player (and proved pretty successful at it), so I didn't mean that Shakiri was Coutinho's replacement in that they would now revert to the way they played with Coutinho and he would walk into the first team and be equally as good, as obviously he isn't. I meant that he does give them the option to go back to that way of playing, with the extra floating creative midfielder in behind the forwards, but they'll probably only do that when Plan A has failed, so whoever Coutinhos 'replacement' is, they'll be more of a bit part player than he was.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
If you define quality by attitude, being a team player and working hard; they've signed the polar opposite to real quality. I don't think this little napoleon would get into a Hughton or Southgate team.

Agree.Quality football player but as an overall footballer his temperament is highly questionable...he will either be stellar or useless.

TNBA

TTF

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Paying £13.5m for a player who is probably worth double that, is good business for Liverpool. If it doesn't work out, they'll sell him for a profit, even considering his wages.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not really a replacement; they play in different positions. Coutinho played as part of a midfield three whereas Shakiri is a winger. Plus Coutinho was clearly in Liverpool’s best XI. I’d be surprised if Shakiri doesn’t have the majority of his starts this season in the League and FA Cups.

You make it sound like Shaqiri just sits on the wing. He's much more of a playmaker than that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Costing a mere £850m, the most expensive squad in the history of football globally.

Sheikh Mansour cleverly investing in players = trophies.

Yeah, but only had 18 players they could name in their squad of up to 25, so they didn't have 22 players of equal ability, that is all.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Arsene was playing him in that position before he left but he was so often injured he couldnt rely on him to do so. I am sure it will be different at Liverpool...

Incorrect, Wenger played Oxlade as a wingback, Southgate/Klopp as a CM with free rein to attack.

1415055A-7301-4D49-9954-5BA46A6DB0C4.png

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/liverpool-alex-oxladechamberlain-latest-gareth-southgate-reaping-rewards-education-a8277521.html%3famp

As well as respected football writers noting these facts, it was much discussed on Arsenal forums.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Incorrect, Wenger played Oxlade as a wingback, Southgate/Klopp as a CM with free rein to attack.

View attachment 98667

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/liverpool-alex-oxladechamberlain-latest-gareth-southgate-reaping-rewards-education-a8277521.html%3famp

As well as respected football writers noting these facts, it was much discussed on Arsenal forums.

Thats just Liverpool bullshit coming out after he moved there and he was "saved" from his terror at Arsenal poor thing. FACT he played attacking midfield under Wenger with much injury and suspicious success. He got put back as wing back because of necessity of the squad at the time and he was once again coming back from injury.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
They've also received about £150 million back from the Coutinho sale though (who presumably Shakiri is the effective replacement for)

They’re still after Fekir to replace Coutinho.

Shaqiri is going to be backup, as their attacking options of the bench last season usually came down to Ings or Solanke

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thats just Liverpool bullshit coming out after he moved there and he was "saved" from his terror at Arsenal poor thing. FACT he played attacking midfield under Wenger with much injury and suspicious success. He got put back as wing back because of necessity of the squad at the time and he was once again coming back from injury.

In post #64 you said Arsenal played Oxlade in that position (attacking CM) before he left.

Independent football writers for broadsheets and Arsenal fans, who actually went to the matches, said he played right wingback.

Why called them “Liverpool bullshit”? They have no connection with the club.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here