Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
CDs seem to have been selling around the £10 price for about twenty years now. Totally inflation/deflation proof.

Depends, CDs were often heavily discounted in the first few weeks of release then bumped up in price as they became back catalogue. Fine if you knew release dates, but if you came to something late you'd end up paying £15-16.

May investigate the new Andy Stott album out in November as I really like this at the moment.

[yt]hbnG4AcAqkA[/yt]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Think my album of the year is going to be between Ms Cherry and Mr Buffalo.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Thinking Avi Buffalo too. Possibly the slightly underrated Alvvays? Going to be a difficult time coming up with a top ten. A few disappointing albums 2014 especially the soon forgotten EMA and Mogwai efforts.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
For anyone who has any like towards Drum and Bass Ultior Motive's album was just released on Metalheadz (out Monday) with the 12' dropping on my door step this morning - that will be a lovely thing to listen to today

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gruff Rhys or Jack White for me...though I have to confess, Avi is making a late move on the rails.

Gruff is a great call and will certainly be up there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A lot of time before that discussion, the new TV On The Radio album will be out soon.

Swans, Shellac, Mirel Wagner and Sun Kil Moon are in the conversation for me though.

Fair point. The Caribou album is getting some great reviews and is out next week.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Fair point. The Caribou album is getting some great reviews and is out next week.

I've been listening to a stream of the Caribou album and it's rather good although if melancholic, introspective electronica isn't your thing then you'll probably listen to the album once and then never give it another listen. Not likely to win new fans with this, I would have thought. Something that did irritate me though was the tracklisting. The second track is, for me, the standout weak track and follows a superb opening number. Whoever put it together hasn't appeared to give it much thought. That track 2 should be number 9 or 10. I know nowadays it doesn't matter so much because I can listen in any order I want but I have a dislike of playing albums in a random order.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Anyone heard the new Moodymann album? It's a long-player (very long player!) from a Detroit Techno DJ/Producer. Big comparisons to Outkast but a bit deeper house in lots of places. And a lot of humour in it, you can tell he's from the same town as Grand Detroit Pubahs. It's extremely listenable. I can't recommend this album highly enough.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been listening to a stream of the Caribou album and it's rather good although if melancholic, introspective electronica isn't your thing then you'll probably listen to the album once and then never give it another listen. Not likely to win new fans with this, I would have thought. Something that did irritate me though was the tracklisting. The second track is, for me, the standout weak track and follows a superb opening number. Whoever put it together hasn't appeared to give it much thought. That track 2 should be number 9 or 10. I know nowadays it doesn't matter so much because I can listen in any order I want but I have a dislike of playing albums in a random order.

It sounds right up my street. I also connected with a recent comment he made about being an "old guy in Birkenstocks wandering around a music festival."

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
If anyone likes dark sounding bass music (not specifically drum and bass) for late night lounge listening I would try Manu Forti's MF LP http://99percent.bandcamp.com/album/mf-lp just been lucky enough to have a copy sent to review and it is beautifully constructed by this first time producer, listen with the lights down and it will take your mind to some strange but good places

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anyone heard the new Moodymann album? It's a long-player (very long player!) from a Detroit Techno DJ/Producer. Big comparisons to Outkast but a bit deeper house in lots of places. And a lot of humour in it, you can tell he's from the same town as Grand Detroit Pubahs. It's extremely listenable. I can't recommend this album highly enough.

Is this the one released at the start of the year? If so yes and I loved it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is this the one released at the start of the year? If so yes and I loved it.

That's the one. It just gets better with every listen.

Another superb album is the Dan the Automator side-project 'Got A Girl' with their album 'I Love You But I Must Drive Off This Cliff Now'. It carries straight on from his lounge-tastic Lovage masterpiece 'Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By' from a few years back. It's a real mix of Spector-esque pop brought up to date in a St Etienne/Pipettes way and the more retro sounding stuff that wouldn't be amiss on a Julie London compilation. Highly recommended. I think it's a must-have if like me you're a St Etienne/Pipettes fanboy.

One album I'm really not feeling the love for at the moment is Marianne Faithfull's 'Give My Love To London'. It just comes across as too knowing and there's no magic to it. I'll persevere but not holding out too much hope.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And sad to say that I've now grown bored with that Royal Blood album. Every song seems to merge into the next and the shouty delivery and grinding bass gets all so meh after a while. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The new Electric Wizard album is worth a listen if you like your Doom. Probably the best thing they've done since Dopethrone but still someway off it.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The Smittens - Love Record Breaker (10" vinyl): quite good twee-ish, Magnetic Fields-y stuff. Multiple vocalists, includes Indigo Girls cover version. If you like your indiepop slightly arch and sometimes baroque, you might want to check this release out.

Sea Pinks - Dreaming Tracks: Irish indie rock. Nice at times, lots of songs are just too normal, chord changes you've heard before, albeit pleasant enough. His voice grates at times.

Cosines - Oscillations: it's OK, but not that interesting. Vocals again are kind of borderline annoying, although I can't put my finger on why that is. Indiepop with Stereolab trimmings, some Krautrock leanings. Better than Pram though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And sad to say that I've now grown bored with that Royal Blood album. Every song seems to merge into the next and the shouty delivery and grinding bass gets all so meh after a while. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

I'll pass it on. They're probably more bored with it than you are so I wouldn't worry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here