Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brilliant stuff from David Cameron today

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But we'll just ignore that the EU has been pressuring member states for years to standardise VAT rates and the most common being 20%. If you want VAT to go down the only way it will happen is if we leave the EU.
I can understand that might be the case, but that issue alone is no reason to leave the EU. It works in the US where the states have their own levels of consumption tax - I'd rather we made that argument.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Do you know what's really depressing about this thread? The assumption that if you're not swallowing Cameron's UKPLC vision of the future then you must be a Labour voter. Most of you have narrowed your horizons to voting for which of the two main political parties isn't the crappest.

We should all be angry at the moment, the politcal elite of the centre right and centre left has gradually sold our country from under our feet in the last 35 years and we just take it. And look at us now, we're skint, we own precious little of our own means of production, there's major institutional scandals left, right and centre and we're blowing hot air up the PM's arse about a tax bribe that isn't even going to happen.

What's wrong with us all? Seriously.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Tax-free personal allowance to be raised from £10,500 to £12,500 by 2020
40% rate raised from £41,900 to £50,000 By the end of a 5 year Tory Govt (ie 2020)
Abolish zero-hour contracts I can't find a time target on this one?
NHS budget protected The budget might be protected, but the NHS won't be, it's is being privatised as we speak

...and much, much more.

A veritable masterclass in how to deliver to an audience unlike forgetful Ed.

I hope Miliband has not paid a deposit for the removal men next year.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Do you know what's really depressing about this thread? The assumption that if you're not swallowing Cameron's UKPLC vision of the future then you must be a Labour voter. Most of you have narrowed your horizons to voting for which of the two main political parties isn't the crappest.

We should all be angry at the moment, the politcal elite of the centre right and centre left has gradually sold our country from under our feet in the last 35 years and we just take it. And look at us now, we're skint, we own precious little of our own means of production, there's major institutional scandals left, right and centre and we're blowing hot air up the PM's arse about a tax bribe that isn't even going to happen.

Spot on.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anything in there about banking regulation?

Does anyone else find the prospect of a Conservative led bill of rights utterly horrifying? We've only just managed to get them out of the dark ages on homophobia. How can a party who's central premise is inequality make a bill of rights? It doesn't even make sense.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What's the point of coming up with a new term? Every understands Little Englander.

I thought most people have moved on from chucking that insult around because it doesn't mean anything anymore, a cliche past its time. A bit like crying 'racist' whenever immigration gets mentioned. If anything your insult probably backfires: People talking about election pledges from the Tories, someone pipes up with 'Little Englander', everyone else thinks "yeah mate, well done. Not heard that before. Here's a packet of crisps and a bottle of coke. Amuse yourself whilst the rest of us have a semi-serious chat".

:)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anything in there about banking regulation?

tumblr_inline_n5w8si5ZNk1rydd6z.gif

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

I agree with you - every two bob politician (ie virtually all of them) has let me down since the day I was born. I haven't missed a single election but with every failed decade that passes by the sheer pointlessness of my tiny efforts gets more obvious to me. Every government, left and right, regards being free to personally trash our own currency and flog off everything standing in order to live in hock for a few years longer as magic economics. We're grazing an iceberg and all our political parties can argue about is the precise positioning of the deckchairs, cheered on by grown people who should know better, and laughed at by people who actually do.

If Angela Merkel offered to run the whole thing from Berlin, devoting alternate Wednesday afternoons to the task, she would, right now, get my vote.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It'll cost £17.5bn ,where exactly is that money coming from?

Also, we haven't mentioned the bit where he's going to scrap the human rights act.

So you can have a tax break as long as you agree to be a subject of UKPLC.

And also this time last election he was talking "big society, hug a hoody and greenest government ever." He's not to be trusted.

That's a vote winner for me.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I agree with you - every two bob politician (ie virtually all of them) has let me down since the day I was born. I haven't missed a single election but with every failed decade that passes by the sheer pointlessness of my tiny efforts gets more obvious to me. Every government, left and right, regards being free to personally trash our own currency and flog off everything standing in order to live in hock for a few years longer as magic economics. We're grazing an iceberg and all our political parties can argue about is the precise positioning of the deckchairs, cheered on by grown people who should know better, and laughed at by people who actually do.

If Angela Merkel offered to run the whole thing from Berlin, devoting alternate Wednesday afternoons to the task, she would, right now, get my vote.

How long does it have to be demonstrated to us that the representitives of the mainstream political parties are self serving and duplicitous before we get the point? Are we really that stupid? All of of a sudden the c**** in red and blue are falling over themselves to do things that appeal to us, why's that?

They'd take the vote away from us if they could. They've taken virtually everything else.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
All this is doing is making the undecided voter more confused about who they will actually vote for. Its probably going to be down to those TV debates again - which could see Mr Clegg doing rather well again.....despite him probably being kept on as the Tea Lady of Downing Street.

Sounds promising from Mr Cameron though, but how soon after the election (if the Tories won) would it start to be put in place ?

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
The promise to abolish zero hours contracts is hot air. The only way to do this within the strictures of English contract law is to require that every contract for work have a minimum number of guaranteed hours. Clearly, employers will only guarantee the minimum, and the workers who suffer from irregular earnings and hours will have the same problems they do now. And they'll have their tax credits frozen to boot (Osborne has already announced this).

Still, I think Cameron won over a significant number of floating voters with his tax cut promise - it's simple to understand, and it allows people to quantify how much better off they would be.

I dread the thought that he might get a majority, as that will put the country on the fast track to withdrawal from the Human Rights Act, ECHR and EU. I know some people are convinced that this will lead to some form of free market utopia, but I'm convinced it's the path to ruin and international pariah status. Plus it will make immigration queues at European airports an f'ing nightmare.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
I'm curious. Why?

So normal law abiding tax paying citizens can live in peace and have their human rights enforced for a change because at the moment the human rights act is a charter for criminals, illegal immigrants and terrorists.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The promise to abolish zero hours contracts is hot air. The only way to do this within the strictures of English contract law is to require that every contract for work have a minimum number of guaranteed hours. Clearly, employers will only guarantee the minimum, and the workers who suffer from irregular earnings and hours will have the same problems they do now. And they'll have their tax credits frozen to boot (Osborne has already announced this).

Still, I think Cameron won over a significant number of floating voters with his tax cut promise - it's simple to understand, and it allows people to quantify how much better off they would be.

I dread the thought that he might get a majority, as that will put the country on the fast track to withdrawal from the Human Rights Act, ECHR and EU. I know some people are convinced that this will lead to some form of free market utopia, but I'm convinced it's the path to ruin and international pariah status. Plus it will make immigration queues at European airports an f'ing nightmare.

Zero hour contracts will still exist. Just under a different name. We really think a man who has to keep the interests of big business so close is going to dispense with a tool they find so useful. No way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here